Make-up artists: let's share tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could anyone recommend a good foundation to start off with that doesn't cost a fortune? There's so many brands I don't know what to try thanks

As a cheaper option I find revlon colour stay foundation really good x

Hi Gloweyes,

If you want a good foundation for photography - Illamasqua skin Base photographs beautifully and MAC face and body is great too its buildable and can be used everywhere also there is never any flashback if your using flash.

Also I would go a bit heavier with contour/highlight/liner etc as sometimes you think you have applied enough but when the photograph is taken you can hardly see it; abviously different from bridal makeup!!

Face and body is great for mature skin too or instead of a foundation use a tinted moisturiser or bb cream (something that doesnt settle in the lines), i would apply in light sheer layers with lovely highlights and try and steer away from too much glittery/shimmery eyeshadows as they accentuate the wrinkles more - try cream eyeshadows and matte browns etc.

You can apply for a Pro card for IMATS which entitles you to discount, products at IMATS are usually discounted anyway i found, also some of the shops in London hols a discount for anyone who has attended IMATS so maybe visit a few to see - do you have your pro-cards for MAC/Illamasqua etc?

£50 per day for 3-4 peoples makeup including hair??! Thats a lot of work for not a lot of money frankly, i think you should charge per person; hair and makeup 30 pp or something (which is still ridiculously cheap!!) I charge £50 for just makeup sometimes!! Say if i was doing bridal hair and makeup i would charge way more!!

Thanks,

Kekejay xxx

Hi everyone,
I just want to recommend the Urban Decay Skin foundation for those who haven't tried it already.
It builds beautifully, feels so lightweight and is oil free which is perfect for me as I have oily skin.
I'm 100% going to buy some for my kit!
X

I will be doing a friends make up for her wedding but I only do nails now. I was thinking of just taking her to a make up counter and buying the best one that suits her skin and then she can have the make up after to keep. Which make would be best? She'd obviously need one that is good with photos

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Has anyone used the make up range from crown? Ive heard their brushes are good but then seen they do a make up range too x

Has anyone used the make up range from crown? Ive heard their brushes are good but then seen they do a make up range too x

Yes I have the blusher & concealor pallette..to be honest they arent that great, it seems to be the exact same pallettes as a load of other companies I have seen so they are obviously all buying them from the same supplier and putting their name to them so its all the same but different prices!

What does everyone use to make glitter stay put on eyes?

What does everyone use to make glitter stay put on eyes?

I have a glitter glue from elf. Cheap but it works. I hear the Too Faced one us fab though

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks sarah1992 thats good to know. With regards crown brushes there are so many sets&types i dont know which ones to go for? They do synthetic, goat hair, sable etc. Can anyone shed some light on which are better please?

Thanks sarah1992 thats good to know. With regards crown brushes there are so many sets&types i dont know which ones to go for? They do synthetic, goat hair, sable etc. Can anyone shed some light on which are better please?

Synthetic doesn't really 'grab' product.. So is better for liquid/cream products..

Goat/sable are great for eyeshadow brushes, such as MAC 217.
Pony hair is a bit more dense, good for mineral foundation brushes.
X

Another foundation question!!

I am purchasing mac face and body and illamasqua skin base along with the hydra veil for my kit.
I understand that mac is a lighter coverage that can be built up and better for mature skin and skin base is a fuller coverage and can work with drier skin using the primer...(Please correct me if I'm wrong)
I've tried both and like both, I am building up a kit and need to get it right.
Would you recommend any other foundations for other skin types? I want to cover all areas :)

Any help would be much appreciated :) xx

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I've seen a few muas use urban decay naked 1,2 + 3 shadow pallettes, are they worth it or can you get somethin the same for a fraction of price ? X

Hi
I have naked 1 & 3 and basics palette and they are good as have 12 colours each I think.
However I find fallout isn't great especially with shimmers. Also way too many shimmers for me as I prefer to use matts and add shimmer where I want it - photographs better.
My most used palette is basics which is all Matt but 1 which is slight shimmer- pale. Also has a great Matt black.
Depends what you are doing too in terms of clients. They are not a pro brand and not essential.

I only have one of the naked palettes (2) that I got before l'oreal bought UD. And it's ok but I think there's other alternatives that are as good if not better. I agree with Jolie that there's too many shimmers and too much fall out. Also I have the MUA cheapo dupes of these palettes and they are as good but they're £4 hahaha (I obviously wouldn't use that on a bride though!)

I have a lovely neutral palette from NEVE which was half the price and the shadows are huge. The rest of mine are mainly a z-palette that I've filled with individuals shadows from inglot, makeup geek and a couple of yaby colours.

Awww that's crap :( just saw another mua use the naked palettes on a bride and the colours did look amazing ! In the palette though. I really liked the shimmer colours but if it isn't worth it I would rather not invest tbh. X

Hi has anyone used any dior or chanel foundations? If so can i have your veiws and recommendations please
Thanks

Hi has anyone used any dior or chanel foundations? If so can i have your veiws and recommendations please
Thanks

I don't rate Dior Airflash at all.. I haven't tried any of the others.
Chanel foundations are lovely, more for pink based skintones.. Vitalumiere is lovely and Aqua Vitalumiere is lighter x

I've tried vita lumiere aqua and it's nice. Not too heavy but still decent coverage. If chanel were still cruelty free I'd have repurchased it.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for replys. Do you know if both or either of those are long lasting? Would they suit all skin types?
I find when you go to the counters they would tell you anything for a quick sale, this forum is soo good for honest opinions!

Hi ladies - couple of questions. I've just recently started picking up more bridal clients (trained in NVQ2 Beauty Therapy) so not full make up trained, but I seem to be doing well and word of mouth is spreading which is great. However, I am struggling with pricing. There don't seem to be any make up artists locally that are mobile and the salons seem to charge really cheap prices and wont travel to people. I'm building my kit and already have a lot of MAC, Bobbi Brown and Smashbox products, so I'm not using cheap items. What do people charge for bridal trials, bridal make up, mother of the bride, bridesmaids etc?

Also, I am getting married myself in four weeks and am doing my own make up. Love the look I've gone for and am really happy with my products, but I've got some external pressures on at the moment and my skin is really suffering from the stress - dry patches and spots and my make up isn't sitting well at all. Anyone got any fool proof ideas for prepping my skin before the big day so that I can get it looking at lovely as possible?

Latest posts

Back