Make-up artists: let's share tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What face primer would you guys suggest?

I currently use loreal studio secrets and love it.. Feel it works really well and feels amazing on the skin but currently looking for another to try as my last pot of studio secrets runs out :(

The main ones I'm looking at are:

Smashbox photo finish
Makeup forever
Nyx hd studio photogenic
Mac prep + prime

But open to any suggestions xx

Illamasqua hydra veil & matte veil!
I cannot recommend them enough. I literally love the stuff. Makes my job so much easier xx

I find it very creamy and watery sort of .. Only used it on my makeup course and preferred the feel of my studio secrets as it's sort of mousse feeling and literally makes the skin feel baby soft and velvety ... I've never used it enough to see the staying power or used it on myself to feel it.

Have you used anything else? Xx

Also, what's everyone's favourite foundation?

I've currently got 3 shades in Mac studio sculpt that I can mix, which I like as I don't need to carry many shades.

But heard good things about:

Giorgio Armani luminous
Illamasqua skin base
Estée Lauder double wear (although I've not used it I'm wary it can be heavy)

X

I've decided on illamasqua skin base for my kit. After testing it out for a while.
Just wondering which shades to start out with/ how many to buy to start off. Any help would be great x
I have white (01) and shades 2, 3, 7, 9, 15 & 17. So basically the lightest, middle and darkest of both the yellower and pinker shades. Hope that makes sense :/

I have white (01) and shades 2, 3, 7, 9, 15 & 17. So basically the lightest, middle and darkest of both the yellower and pinker shades. Hope that makes sense :/

It does thank you! x

I've just purchased these RCMA palettes to use alongside skin base after reading loads of good things about them.
I'm struggling with them a bit though as I'm still pretty new to make up. I've read lots and watched tutorials and they make it look so easy [emoji51]

Does anyone use RCMA? Do you have any tips on how to use it properly?
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1432545705.731426.jpg

They are great and very pigmented so a little goes a long way. You can sheer them by mixing with a tiny bit of moisturiser or adding a bit of liquid or cream highlighter too.
they apply beautifully with a sponge - slightly damp. I like to warm up the product on the back of my - sanitised - hand too before applying - good for mixing colours to get tyne perfect colour match too.
Hope that helps x

I was undecided between RCMA and Graftobian for a long time, eventually chose the latter but the experience and lots of practice required to get the best out of it are the same.

Like Jolie, I find that a damp sponge helps a lot with frequent and short strokes to blend it into the skin. Warming it very well on the back of your hand will make a great difference too! You really need a small amount otherwise will be kind of a nightmare to even up directly on the skin as you would do with a liquid foundation. The application will require a bit more time at the start, but when you get the hang of it, you'll get faster and love it! Mostly (unless specific cases) you won't need concealers anymore ;) It photographs beautifully too!

Thank you both! That's really helpful. It's just so different to what I'm used to I think that's why I was struggling x

Hey all :) can i just ask, what helps make glittery eyeshadow last ? I've used a eye primer (not urban decay), but my buzz eyeshadow (naked 3 pallette) just doesn't have that long staying power, the glitter just went after like a few hours + was left with a standard matte colour.

Any helps or tips ladies? Thanks in advance x

Hey all :) can i just ask, what helps make glittery eyeshadow last ? I've used a eye primer (not urban decay), but my buzz eyeshadow (naked 3 pallette) just doesn't have that long staying power, the glitter just went after like a few hours + was left with a standard matte colour.

Any helps or tips ladies? Thanks in advance x

Have you tried applying it wet? I find some of my shadows look better when applied with a damp brush, makes them a bit more intense and stand out more x

Have you tried applying it wet? I find some of my shadows look better when applied with a damp brush, makes them a bit more intense and stand out more x

Does it last just as long wet though ? Im just thinking of the primer ?
Would it be best to just dab on rather than use small strokes ?
I've never used it damp, i do remeber hearing it on a tutorial though. X

Does it last just as long wet though ? Im just thinking of the primer ?
Would it be best to just dab on rather than use small strokes ?
I've never used it damp, i do remeber hearing it on a tutorial though. X

I use the ud Eden primer as I find the eye shadows true colour shows better.
I press in the colour where I want it, then dampen my brush with a little setting spray then press more colour on where I want it xx

I use the ud Eden primer as I find the eye shadows true colour shows better.
I press in the colour where I want it, then dampen my brush with a little setting spray then press more colour on where I want it xx

I do have the UD Eden primer aswell, I've just always used bareminerals primer. It would make sense though especially when I'm using UD shadows
Thanks for tip hun, i will try that, so shadow, dampen brush, more shadow wi damp brush :)) x

Hey :)) just like to know how you all apply lipstick ? I tend to apply from bullet 1st n then go over with a brush. Is there any best way ? X

Hey :)) just like to know how you all apply lipstick ? I tend to apply from bullet 1st n then go over with a brush. Is there any best way ? X
On you or a client? I wouldn't put it on straight from the bullet on a client but I would on myself and then if needed neaten up with a brush.

On a client I generally line the lips first, then scrape a bit of lippy off with my spatula onto my palette then use a lip brush. Most of my lipsticks in my kit are decanted into lip palettes anyway.

On you or a client? I wouldn't put it on straight from the bullet on a client but I would on myself and then if needed neaten up with a brush.

On a client I generally line the lips first, then scrape a bit of lippy off with my spatula onto my palette then use a lip brush. Most of my lipsticks in my kit are decanted into lip palettes anyway.

Thanks for reply, it was just a general question for own personal use really, sorry not really PRO related just personal query preference. Thanks again :) x

Anyone come across a nice burnt orange Matt eyeshadow ? X

Brown script by MAC is nice - may not be orange enough though x

Does anyone have any advice on make-up for Rosasea? Really quite bad redness but with acne-like bumps all over the face x

Latest posts

Back