Make-up artists: let's share tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Salj I will get there. This is all very new to me! Il go watch some videos on YouTube! Good tip about doing work with eye open makes sense. I should of picked a model with nice easy eyes for my base studies!

With a hooded lid, work outwards, rather than upwards. Which will make more sense when you do it, but basically if the lid is hooded, it's pointless doing a tonne of work on the lid for it not to be seen when their eyes are open.

So do any crease and liner work with the eye open. Take a look on youtube at Pixiwoos, they have a couple of hooded lid tutorials.

Re the winging of liner, I try to work with using the lower lash line as a guide. So Imagine you're carrying on the line from the lower lash line and aim the wing towards the tail of the eyebrow. You can use tape method if you want, personally I only ever do that on myself, not on a client.

The Zoeva wing liner brush is brilliant for kind of stamping on the flick. I quite often switch between a couple of different brushes though. Getting it even is the hardest part.

This is a good video, has quite a few good tips.

Much better at explanation than me x

Thank you Salj I will get there. This is all very new to me! Il go watch some videos on YouTube! Good tip about doing work with eye open makes sense. I should of picked a model with nice easy eyes for my base studies!
It's good to practice on all eye shapes though, the more experience you get the better :)

Can I get a pros opinion on contouring ? I know it depends on face shape, but rule I remember for contouring is, usually follow the top of ear down, I've seen a few pics where this hasn't been followed, would there any reason as to why ? X

Can I get a pros opinion on contouring ? I know it depends on face shape, but rule I remember for contouring is, usually follow the top of ear down, I've seen a few pics where this hasn't been followed, would there any reason as to why ? X
Maybe they just prefer the placement elsewhere. As a rule of thumb though, yes down from the ear, where the cheek hollows if you suck it in! :)

Cheers love, that's what I thought usual rule of thumb is, suckin it in/ear downwards. This is meant 2 be Mua's that's all and I saw it and was like, is that really right lol x

That's the fun of makeup, no hard and fast rules. It might just be a placement s/he prefers. :)

Here's a few I did messing. Wanted an intense colour/contrast with a few Swarovski crystals of course ☺️ X

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 108
Ladies do any of you use Mac studio fix?
Do you find it flashes back? If so What powder do you use to set it?
Thanks x

Ladies do any of you use Mac studio fix?
Do you find it flashes back? If so What powder do you use to set it?
Thanks x

Yeah it does because of the titanium dioxide content AKA SPF. I would recommend Studio Sculpt for photography. I set my SF Fluid with Prep + Prime powder

Yeah it does because of the titanium dioxide content AKA SPF. I would recommend Studio Sculpt for photography. I set my SF Fluid with Prep + Prime powder

I was setting with prep & prime translucent powder but that was flashing back really bad. I'm still pretty new to make up and it's really put me off of using it now :( don't know wether to stop using it altogether x

I'm looking for a few tips please. I had a lady in today for makeup, she had quite few lines but was adamant she wanted a eyeliner. I just found it really quite hard 2 get a good line with a lot of lines on lid. Can anyone suggest any tips ?

And I'm looking for help on lighting please, wanting to get a lamp maybe, any suggestions ? X

What type of liner did you use... I probably would've used eyeshadow (or a pencil) and an angled brush to get an eyeliner effect, rather than liquid or gel, as that is super hard on lids with a lot of lines. It's tricky when people are adamant that they want something that you know won't look good; you can either gently talk them round, or just do what they ask (and try to smooth it out as much as possible!)

I use eyeshadow as liner on mature clients - not as harsh as gel liner and more forgiving with lines. I'd usually suggest brown as it's much softer in appearance but if the client is adamant they want black just make sure the shadow is super black so you can get a nice crisp line. The black in the UD Naked 2 palette is brilliant.

Cheers ladies. Something as simple as this I never thought of lol I must say, she didn't have a lot of wrinkles, more a lot of loose skin around eye area should I say lol

Thanks again ☺️ Can any of you recommend a decent camera + a lamp for pics ? X

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449074914.908960.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449074935.876573.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449074975.243966.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449074995.295357.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449075013.408099.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449075046.810102.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449075103.065640.jpg

This is a few recent iv done
I'm pretty new to it and stil building my kit but love doing make up :)

Stacedollx I think your doing a fab job love X

Latest posts

Back