Make up artists - your rates?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea85

Reaction score
I have been thinking about my rates lately and wondering what other freelancers charge for shoots?

What are your current hour/day/half day rates?

Does it depend on what the job entails or do you always charge your set rate?

I'd be interested to know as I always worry when waiting to hear back from someone regarding work, even though I know that's silly!

I would also like to no this too x

I'm a photographer and have been charged between £30-£75 for the session - the higher rate also included light hair styling. The lower rate was just as good an artist, how ever, happy with her fee. The MUA doesn't need to stay for the shoot with me, unless there is a change needed.

Hope this helps x

I'm a photographer and have been charged between £30-£75 for the session - the higher rate also included light hair styling. The lower rate was just as good an artist, how ever, happy with her fee. The MUA doesn't need to stay for the shoot with me, unless there is a change needed.

Hope this helps x

Thanks. How long is that for? I have never worked for so little! x

It's going to vary hugely depending on your experience and location and even who the client is :)

I only charge half day and full day rates , I actually would not be bothered with an hourly rate as by the time you've factored in travel and setting up time etc it really would not be worth it for me , also I have my reputation to think about and the job is only done after the last shot is taken , touch ups are always needed and I see it as part of my job to look out for random hairs , loose lashes or any other random bit of hair and make up that will ruin a shot.

I don't want to display my rates on a public forum but would be happy to tell you via a pm if you would like

I think I'm quiet reasonable for my experience level but do have some ocassional photographers gawk at my rate when I tell them lol. I certainly don't undersell myself like I see so many girls starting out do , sad really as they will never be seen as professional .

That's for 45-60 mins. I've also worked with MUA on shoots who charge £400 for just over half day when working on a few celebrities.

The rates quoted in my previous post was for boudoir shoots.

Hi
This is a good question, but unfortunately a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" type question (not helpful, I know, but true!)... my rates vary depending on the client, the make up required, the work required beforehand (planning, research etc), the location, the model etc etc.

I would generally ask them what their budget is for make up and/or styling and use that as a guide, but ensure my costs and rates are covered. There is occasion where you need to think about the client and even if their rate is lower than you would normally work for, is the clients name on your portfolio worth taking the drop in salary for. For example, I worked on a very well known fashion designer shoot and the rate wasn't great, but having got that name on my portfolio has managed to secure me many other jobs, so sometimes it's not just about the actual rate, but the name, prestige, future work potential etc.

I have an hourly and daily rate, but this is always changeable! At the moment I'm working on a job that is £70 an hour, where as I've secured a job in January at over £100 an hour. But two weeks ago, I did a TV advert that was only £25 an hour, but a great name to say I worked on.
Sorry for the vague answer, but I think when you're first starting out, be guided by what the client is willing to pay and work from there on the negotiations, taking into account all I've said above. Xx

It's going to vary hugely depending on your experience and location and even who the client is :)

I only charge half day and full day rates , I actually would not be bothered with an hourly rate as by the time you've factored in travel and setting up time etc it really would not be worth it for me , also I have my reputation to think about and the job is only done after the last shot is taken , touch ups are always needed and I see it as part of my job to look out for random hairs , loose lashes or any other random bit of hair and make up that will ruin a shot.

I don't want to display my rates on a public forum but would be happy to tell you via a pm if you would like

I think I'm quiet reasonable for my experience level but do have some ocassional photographers gawk at my rate when I tell them lol. I certainly don't undersell myself like I see so many girls starting out do , sad really as they will never be seen as professional .

See this is my problem, I have some people think my rates are really high as they either respond telling me so or I never hear from them again and assume it's because I was too expensive! However, I don't want to lower my rates as I know I am worth at least what I currently charge.

I think I'm probably best leaving them as they are and being confident that I am worth that much. I know there are a lot of make up artists in my area that are very cheap but I'm happy for them to continue like that, I know that the quality of my work speaks volumes and will get me plenty of the right work.

Hi
This is a good question, but unfortunately a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" type question (not helpful, I know, but true!)... my rates vary depending on the client, the make up required, the work required beforehand (planning, research etc), the location, the model etc etc.

I would generally ask them what their budget is for make up and/or styling and use that as a guide, but ensure my costs and rates are covered. There is occasion where you need to think about the client and even if their rate is lower than you would normally work for, is the clients name on your portfolio worth taking the drop in salary for. For example, I worked on a very well known fashion designer shoot and the rate wasn't great, but having got that name on my portfolio has managed to secure me many other jobs, so sometimes it's not just about the actual rate, but the name, prestige, future work potential etc.

I have an hourly and daily rate, but this is always changeable! At the moment I'm working on a job that is £70 an hour, where as I've secured a job in January at over £100 an hour. But two weeks ago, I did a TV advert that was only £25 an hour, but a great name to say I worked on.
Sorry for the vague answer, but I think when you're first starting out, be guided by what the client is willing to pay and work from there on the negotiations, taking into account all I've said above. Xx

It wasn't vague, it was actually really helpful! Thank you.

I'm not just starting out but often wonder about this and start to doubt what I should charge. I think the best thing is to not let it worry me. As you say, it can vary depending on the client anyway but I like to have a set figure in my head. However, maybe I should start to leave this a little open to negotiation as, like you said, it can often be worth it for a certain client for your portfolio.

Thanks again x

It wasn't vague, it was actually really helpful! Thank you.

I'm not just starting out but often wonder about this and start to doubt what I should charge. I think the best thing is to not let it worry me. As you say, it can vary depending on the client anyway but I like to have a set figure in my head. However, maybe I should start to leave this a little open to negotiation as, like you said, it can often be worth it for a certain client for your portfolio.

Thanks again x

Absolutely agree, always have a rough idea of what you want to charge and certainly for things like wedding and special occasion make up, have a set amount and that's a fixed price, but when dealing with fashion and entertainment jobs, be prepared to negotiate here and there and weigh up the pro's and con's of individual jobs.
The one bit of advice I would say, is that I know even 12 years down the line, you sometimes have to work for a rate lower than you know you are worth, but if it gets your name out there, it's worth it (this only applies to big named clients, not day to day stuff - never de-value yourself)... so be flexible and accommodating and in the long run, this will do you well.
Xx

Latest posts

Back