Make up courses and wedding packages

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyNerds

Reaction score
Iv tried researching but can't find any answers.

I am qualified to do make up but I don't feel like I know enough to do somebody's make up on the day.

Can anybody recommended reputable companies to train with. I'm thinking mac, royal fm.

Also what would you charge per person for make up, nail extensions, flare lashes - for 6 people including the bride?
She is a friend of mine and she has been quoted £50 each just for a make up application and feels it ludicrous.
As I'm not familiar with make up charges I don't know what's reasonable.
I'm from Lancashire side ( Wigan/ Preston )

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sam xx

MAC don't offer training as far as I know - they do some 'masterclass' stuff I think for School of Makeup in Stockport, but only for students/graduates there, not commercial classes that you can book for.

Having researched this a lot (I'm based not too far from you) the working, successful bridal artists in the north west seem to mostly have gone to School of Makeup in Stockport. You can visit them to look around before you book. I think also that North West Media Makeup School are getting bigger and better and their Facebook page has some good photos of their facilities. I am thinking of doing their bridal specific course as the timings of it work better for me than School of Makeup (and it's cheaper than their courses - I think they stopped doing their bridal course).

I have done the course at a local private college which was taught by a beauty therapist - lovely woman and great training in eye treatments, but she is/was not a makeup artist and the procedures you follow for a VTCT course (which is what I did) do not relate at all to what it would be like to do bridal makeup. Lying clients on a couch, massaging their faces with cleanser etc - all the focus was on this sort of stuff, with hardly any tutoring on how to actually do the makeup! However it got me my certification. I then went on to do a bridal specific course at Cheshire Makeup Academy, which was 2 days and surprisingly good. It was taught by a proper makeup artist. She also does a hair course, but I haven't done that.

A friend of mine got married just over a year ago and she and we (bridesmaids) were charged £30 each for makeup at a salon - £10 extra for lashes each (strip lashes). When I got married in 2009, the lady came to my house and she charged £25 per person for the trial plus £120 for me and £60 for bridesmaids/mother of the bride for both hair and makeup (half that just for makeup). Peaches & Cream in Liverpool are very expensive, I think just makeup with them is over £100 - they are amazing though! Hope that helps. I think £50 for just makeup if they travel to you at home is about the going rate for an experienced, popular bridal makeup artist.

Cant comment on anything else you asked but mac 100% dont do training ive tryed to look in to that myself

LusciousLocks&Me

Hi

Im currently at The School of Makeup in Stockport and I love it! its worth every penny! :)

I know its going to help me become a great makeup artist although as with any course you obviously get out what you put in!

I'm trained in makeup and if she thinks that 50 is ludicrous, break that down to products, hourly rate, tax,NI, travel and most importantly knowledge, training and skill in bridal makeup. Also quite rightly, bridal makeup is never as straightforward as any other makeup job as a bride will be much more particular (rightly so) so its not a one application fits all. There's a reason it costs to have someone as you need the knowledge in application and product type and availability for products to last all day, look good in photos; correct her face shape, colouring (espesh with a pale dress) and any features and use correct colour and finish desired etc. If it was as simple as using your usual make up and doing it yourself to look perfect then no one would ever hire a pro! After a trial I may need to get something specifically for her or suggest a change so ita good for me as well as her. More work happens at a trial and the jobs I've not done a trial for were really stressful.

Good luck,I'd recommend lots of videos on youtube too by pros like pixiewoo.

Are you going to do the flares and extensions the day before? Personally I charge £15pp for flares, I don't do nails ext tho. I charge 90 for a bride incl trial (which isnt expensive at all when you consider most of the work happens at the trial and thats a good 4 hours of work. Extra people are 35 on the day, they dont usually want a trial x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies.

I'm quite worried now :(
Iv looked at the Stockport one and it's £1596 for a 2 week course, unfortunately I haven't got the money as Iv just set up above a hairdressers. I also wouldn't have the money to set up good enough stock to do trial runs and purchase any extra stock that could be needed.

I'm going to have to sit her down and explain it's looking like a grey area.
I don't want to do a course that's cheap and that I won't benefit from.

I did look on group on (don't shout at me ha) there's a mac one in Preston but it's what Iv already done at college.

Now you have broke it down I can understand why people will charge £50+

The lashes will be flare lashes which I already charge £16 a set, as for nails some will be new sets (£30) and some will be infills(£15-£29)

Thank you so much girls xxx

What's the 'MAC' course you've seen? I am sure MAC don't do training. Be careful, it sounds like it could be a scam if they're marketing themselves as MAC affiliated.

You could look at Art Deco. They offer products for retail, which might suit you, and you can do their makeup training as one day blocks and book and pay as you go along. I haven't done their training, but if you do it you need to buy their products as they teach with their products and will sell you a kit of entirely their own branded stuff to train with. That put me off to be honest, but their products get great reviews on here so if you're looking for a cheaper option than School of Makeup it might be worth a look? They are based in Liverpool.

Just had a look for the Groupon course you mention - if you google 'Groupon makeup course' you will find lots of reviews of previous courses that have been offered. The reviews are overwhelmingly very negative. I've never heard of the company that is listed in the current Groupon offer, but they appear to sell 'discounted' MAC products. I would be wary to be honest. It's not something I would waste my money on and it's certainly not a professional course.

Is it just for this friend? If its just for her why not research on youtube and from pro sites, add to the knowledge and training you have and practise practise practise on yourself and her, taking on all bridal makeup tips. A course a lone wouldn't make you a great mua anyway and I am guessing you have the foundation knowledge from what you're trained in.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would like it to be a service I would eventually offer, especially to put in with prom packages or wedding packages.
I just can't see me getting bookings if make up isn't in there as well.

There would be so much to buy though and with only setting up in December I obviously want to watch how much I'm spending. She has said she definitely wants her make up doing and as for the mother of the bride and bridesmaids she's not sure as she might get them to pay for themselves, which if they do I can't see all of them doing it.

So the other option as suggested is to watch you tube videos? I am qualified in make up, I just wanted better knowledge. As I don't really understand how to contour & shade and do a mind blowing smokey eye. Just small things like that?

Sorry girls I feel like a lemon! Haha, I just don't know what to do. I suppose I'm scared too because it is somebody's big day.

Xx

The MAC shop in Liverpool do masterclasses. It's either £50 or £75 (redeemable) and has different themes each month. It's worth calling to see if a bridal one is on soon xx

The MAC shop in Liverpool do masterclasses. It's either £50 or £75 (redeemable) and has different themes each month. It's worth calling to see if a bridal one is on soon xx

Oh wow that's good! Do you know anymore on what the courses involve ? Thank you xxx

Oh wow that's good! Do you know anymore on what the courses involve ? Thank you xxx

It's not a course as such you don't get a certificate saying your qualified, mac simply don't do make up courses. Master classes are a different thing all together

hi I did a bridal 2 day course to update my previous knowledge at the Cheshire make up academy my training was with alovely woman who also works for mac we concentrated on eyes and highlight and shade etc as they was the areas I felt I needed help with although on the training she said I am fine prob just confidence lol. but the course was woth it the lady was called Janice Harding that did my training although there is other tutors. you may be able to ask for her to do the training.x

Agree with Facelashbrow- pixiwoo's channel is fab. They also offer make up courses (in Norwich i believe- have a look online at their web page) and both Nicola and Sam are brilliant. I always love their Real Technique brushes and have used them on all my brides.
If you go on to offer it, like FLB said, you need to make sure you cover costs etc as otherwise you won't end up with a profit. People are usually willing to pay that bit extra for their big day.

Mac don't do training, I have myself done one of the groupon mac make up classes and it's just someone who does a make up class for around 3hrs using some (not all) Mac make up products x

Latest posts

Back