Make up courses or not

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precious2013

Reaction score
In my level 2 beauty I done make up but it was very basic and I want to learn more as I dont feel confident doing it.

Am I better going on another course or just have a look on you tube?
If you tube, is there any channels you recommend?
Is there a make up bible I could also get? I'll need a kit too and dont know where to start looking.....help x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm glad you brought this up. I would like some advice on the same subject lol :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Practice on friends family and YouTube do not waste ur money on course I did and I already knew the stuff anyway. Just get ur certificate and then apply got insurance. Learn to do different skin types etc but I'm self taught and YouTube and I just finished my 5th wedding todY x 👍💕

I have done lots of short make up courses, then my level 2 (very basic as you said) and now I am doing high fashion & bridal make up artistry course.

I never felt 100% confident doing make up so this course will hopefully give me more hands in experience rather than just reading about it, because I believe with make up its all about practising. Also with this course it has almost given me a foot in the door for some make up jobs, I have already done a fashion show, a fantasy look for a hair competition & an open night. And I only started it last week. We have also been asked to do shoots in the future & had out numbers taken for possible jobs.

But then, it depends on the course you are looking to do, as mine doesnt cost thousands! But I still feel like it will be worth it.

Have you thought about doing a training course with a brand? I work for jane iredale and they offer 4 one day modules to ensure confidence in the products plus an advanced techniques for camouflage and corrective and a module for photographic work all related back to jane iredale mineral makeup.
I think with makeup YouTube is great but I find that even as a qualified mua I pick up tips from observing other mua's when they run the courses. You can never stop learning!
Good luck. If your want to contact me for any info feel free.
X Aileen
Trainer for Scotland for iiaa

Practice on friends family and YouTube do not waste ur money on course I did and I already knew the stuff anyway. Just get ur certificate and then apply got insurance. Learn to do different skin types etc but I'm self taught and YouTube and I just finished my 5th wedding todY x 👍💕

TOTALLY agree with this, im also self taught and done a crappy 3 day course just to get a certificate so i could get insured etc.

Makeup is like an art, you need to be skilled in it... you wouldnt draw a self portrait of someone if you werent very artistic.

And as for learning with 1 brand DEFFO NOT!!!! why would you want to learn with one brand? top makeup artists have 100s of brands in their kit. I know a few girls who had their makeup done for their wedding and the brand used on them was jane irdale, none of them were happy, it was cheap makeup and every single one of them wished they had a proper mua like myself as i carry tonnes of brands and have researched properly what brands, products and tools are the best.

just look on youtube, learn yourself through tutorials, practise on yourself, friends, family and you will soon get the hang of it if you REALLY want to do it :)

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking it may be a waste of money for more courses. So just have different makes in a kit then? What about foundation, I need a set of those to start with as I already have eyeshadows etc. What make up brands would you recommend?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have done lots of short make up courses, then my level 2 (very basic as you said) and now I am doing high fashion & bridal make up artistry course.

I never felt 100% confident doing make up so this course will hopefully give me more hands in experience rather than just reading about it, because I believe with make up its all about practising. Also with this course it has almost given me a foot in the door for some make up jobs, I have already done a fashion show, a fantasy look for a hair competition & an open night. And I only started it last week. We have also been asked to do shoots in the future & had out numbers taken for possible jobs.

But then, it depends on the course you are looking to do, as mine doesnt cost thousands! But I still feel like it will be worth it.

Which course and which school did you do your training? London school of makeup? X

Which course and which school did you do your training? London school of makeup? X

Nope Im in Ireland :) , trained with Inglot etc. loved it!

Hi,

I wasn't very confident with make- up when I did my level 2 beauty years ago.

I worked for a well known skin care brand then I worked for a well known make up brand.

I learned loads working on beauty counters.

I'm confident with make-up now. With make-up you never stop learning.

You don't have to spend loads. Go on a few short courses/ practices on friends/ family.

Ok yes... a lot of your make up skills wont come from courses but I found my extra courses massively beneficial!! I have not stopped learning and I am subscribed to a bajillion youtube channels. But after nvq I was in no way confident to do bridal makeup so I took a short course and it was great. I got a cert and had fun playing with makeup for 3 days and learning loads.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ok yes... a lot of your make up skills wont come from courses but I found my extra courses massively beneficial!! I have not stopped learning and I am subscribed to a bajillion youtube channels. But after nvq I was in no way confident to do bridal makeup so I took a short course and it was great. I got a cert and had fun playing with makeup for 3 days and learning loads.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Who did you do your course with xx

London College of Fashion.

Latest posts

Back