Make up for different skin types/ages and ethnicity

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beckzx

Reaction score
can someone relli help me i need to have done my assignemt by monday and and i cant find any information on black/asian skin types about there make up they use and what makeup they should use on areas on there face eg. eyes - use a dark colour to ... Lips - always use .. never use.. i need it for foundation, highlighter or shader, cheeks, eyes and lips.. can someone help please x x x:rolleyes:

Hi hun, you need to fill in your profile :green:

I wish I could help more. In 10 days time I am participating in a make-up workshop for Asian, dark and oriental skins types. I personally think more of this information needs to be available and empathize with your frustration. Wish I could help more.

can someone relli help me i need to have done my assignemt by monday and and i cant find any information on black/asian skin types about there make up they use and what makeup they should use on areas on there face eg. eyes - use a dark colour to ... Lips - always use .. never use.. i need it for foundation, highlighter or shader, cheeks, eyes and lips.. can someone help please x x x:rolleyes:

Put your question to Google, you'll get some useful information there, although it's quite a large assignment from memory, so you're going to have to work really hard over the weekend :) Good luck

hiya, i'm mixed race so my skin is a light brown shade, there are specific make-up ranges that are for darker skin types, black radiance is one. I have found that i can get foundation in most ranges i currently use one from boots natural collection believe it or not and i quite like it. Virgin vie and body shop also have a large colour range. The main thing i have to bear in mind for eyes is that pastel shades, which may look muted on lighter skin, will appear very bright on darker skin. and in the same way dark colours, for instance brown and purple, would stand out alot on light skin but would be subtle on darker skin. same goes for lips as my lips have a brown tone to them whereas someone with lighter skin may have pinky tones in their lips.
I don't know if it will help i didn't have a particular assignment like that when i did my course but have learnt through trial and error.
good luck with your assignment
esther xxx

Hi,

I am Asian and when I went to a makeup-course in Denmark, with one of the best makeup-artist there, I learned a lot about my eyes. I will try to explain in English, but it might be difficult and not understandable at all... :)

You should make the eyes the opposite than Europeand eyes, the dark shadow near the nose. You want the eyes to look closer to the nose and the nose to look not that flat and wide. Hmmm... this was very difficult to explain in English... Did you understand at all???? It would have been easier to draw it for you... Anyway, most makeupartist don't know about this little "trick". I have seen so many Asians, at TV, that are makeuped wrong. When I showed the trick to another makeupartist she said: "WOW, I've never thought about this, but it REALLY made it!"

Just be very careful with the blending and don't use too much shadow...:)

C.

Hi,

I am Asian and when I went to a makeup-course in Denmark, with one of the best makeup-artist there, I learned a lot about my eyes. I will try to explain in English, but it might be difficult and not understandable at all... :)

You should make the eyes the opposite than Europeand eyes, the dark shadow near the nose. You want the eyes to look closer to the nose and the nose to look not that flat and wide. Hmmm... this was very difficult to explain in English... Did you understand at all???? It would have been easier to draw it for you... Anyway, most makeupartist don't know about this little "trick". I have seen so many Asians, at TV, that are makeuped wrong. When I showed the trick to another makeupartist she said: "WOW, I've never thought about this, but it REALLY made it!"

Just be very careful with the blending and don't use too much shadow...:)

C.

Yeah I know exactly what you're talking about Cec :green:

It's a basic rule of contouring (shading and highlighting)....if eyes are wide apart you can balance this by applying a darker shade to the inner corner of the eye, and vice versa if eyes are closer together you apply a lighter (usually with shimmer, to enhance the properties of a highlighter) shade to the inner corner. To rounden very flat and long eyes, applying a neutral taupe to the inner and outer corners and a highlighting shade in the centre of the lid, works very well.

As for beckzx query regards black and asian skin types, it would have been nice to know more about her course before answering her question, because tbh, all her questions should have been answered by practical and theory work she undertook whilst studying.

With black and asian skin types, I find colour correction very important. I generally use peach on Asian skin to warm up the sallow areas (under the eyes is the usual place) and on black skin I use red to warm up cool ashy areas (under eyes and temple area down to jawline seem to be worst offenders).

As estherlou says, when you are white and doing makeup on black skin, you can sometimes be inclined to pick up a shadow and think "God, no, too bright!" instinctively because the first mental image you get is of what that colour would look like on your own skin. I love working with black skin, because you can use the richest strongest burgundies and saffrons and violets and they look amazing....not 'too much' at all.

As for foundation, most of MACs foundations cover a wide spectrum of skin tones and depths. They did, however, design a range with pink colour correction in the foundation, this was awful! Pink, on cool black skin, will look ashen. You will find most black skin needs warming, although a lucky few will naturally have no ashen areas. I love Stila's Illuminating Foundation, which goes from 10 watts (lightest) to 100 watts (in multiples of 10) and mixes really well to make every skin tone in between.

Another important thing to remember when applying colour is - don't undo your hard work! I have seen an MUA do a fantastic job of warming a sallow asian skin, with spectacular correction around the eyes, and then apply a light olive green shadow, which just made the model's eyes look like they did with no makeup!

I wish I could help more. In 10 days time I am participating in a make-up workshop for Asian, dark and oriental skins types. I personally think more of this information needs to be available and empathize with your frustration. Wish I could help more.

Where are you doing your course at?

I wouldnt mind going on a course for asian & black skins - although I have some experience here(through practice & reading) - I havent actually been taught this - its good too study this in depth.

Hi,

Your assignment is probably over, but thought i would just share a little info i learnt at makeup school (few years back), so cant remember the correct terminology and im not a great writer, here it goes:

Black skin - check if you have to use 2 shades of foundation on different areas of face as usually uneven in colour.

Also learnt that black and asian people dont usually have eyelid crease (the eyelid up to the brow bone is smooth) so you can create a false one if you want to add depth. By shading (darkest colour) in the area where you
would like it to appear.

Hope that makes sense....

You should really check out Kevyn Aucoins`, his books, he is AMAZING, pity he is dead!

Latest posts

Back