Make up Training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemmonie

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am asking on behalf of a friend who is wanting to turn a hobby into a small business. She is very good at make-up but has no formal training in either make-up or beauty. She has a natural flair which she would like to turn professional. Can you do just a make-up course and what brand names are big in the industry of make-up? Who is the CND of make-up?!

Also can anyone recomend training in the south east, Gatwick area?

Thanks

I am looking for a make up course too, but I live in Wiltshire so South West of the country. Can anybody recommend a course?

Hi guys,

I am asking on behalf of a friend who is wanting to turn a hobby into a small business. She is very good at make-up but has no formal training in either make-up or beauty. She has a natural flair which she would like to turn professional. Can you do just a make-up course and what brand names are big in the industry of make-up? Who is the CND of make-up?!

Thanks
Your friend would need to get a certified training in order to obtain insurance. I am insured by the Guild and my initial make-up training was with one of The Guilds certified make-up trainers (based in Shropshire). I then went on to obtain a beauty diploma which would cover me with any recognized insurer.

People enter the make-up industry and become make-up artists in many different ways. Some have formal training with a passion, others have no training, but an insatiable passion and skill. Either way one would need a reputable certification in order to be insured.

I personally and from experience, do not believe that there is a CND of make-up, as you put it. I don't believe there is one make-up brand out there which does everything for everyone.

My professional make-up kit comprises of a wide range of premium and some pro products ranging from Chanel, Laura Mercier through to Screen Face and Supercover. What I get from one brand I may not get from another. By combining them together, I get choice and versatility to created a make-up look for different skin types and tones and to suit different ages.

Building up a professional kits cost money and therefore takes time. My recommendation to your friend would be to practice with what she has currently and then build up overtime.

Hope this helps. x

Hi guys,

Thanks

Hi Kent Beauty Academy runs short courses which are very intense but have are filled with information to get you started. They use MAC makeup but also give you a wide range of knowledge in other products too. Call them on 01233 646060. They are very approachable and they come highly recommended by my 2 friends who also did it.

Hi ya,

I run an academy based in Essex, we are in the process of changing locations at the moment.

From my experience there are many courses that offer basic Level 2 make up, i know i teach them. But there are few reasonable courses that offer advanced Make Up Artist courses...unless you are looking at thousands of pounds.

We are introducing a course in the summer months, we are offer a creative make up programme that covers fashion, tv, (media), photograpic, theatre make up. We will have some of the industrys finest make up artists teaching you their skills.

We have also teamed up with a local modeling agency and photographer so you will build your own portfolio and have a shoot as your finale. We are teaming up with some of the best product suppliers Mac and many more

If you want details please pm me.

Hi ya,

I run an academy based in Essex, we are in the process of changing locations at the moment.

From my experience there are many courses that offer basic Level 2 make up, i know i teach them. But there are few reasonable courses that offer advanced Make Up Artist courses...unless you are looking at thousands of pounds.

We are introducing a course in the summer months, we are offer a creative make up programme that covers fashion, tv, (media), photograpic, theatre make up. We will have some of the industrys finest make up artists teaching you their skills.

We have also teamed up with a local modeling agency and photographer so you will build your own portfolio and have a shoot as your finale. We are teaming up with some of the best product suppliers Mac and many more

If you want details please pm me.

I am looking for this kind of training in the North East. Can anyone recommend?

Debbie

Hi i am a dinosaur. My training was within CIDESCO and i only do brides, clients with special events etc
Anyone tell me if they think adding to my training would be worthwhile? I feel like i am keeping with others though MUA isnt my main thing.
Insurance Guild at the moment.
Brands, Well anyone who tells you only MAC hasnt really looked around. I use Mac, Chanel, BE, (great for brides IMHO) though for me its cheaper to buy retail. Oh Smashbox Photo finish primers range is fab Try the mini sizes.
Also once enrolled ask companies i found they would (back when i was young and training) pop returns by for me etc * just to clear i mean unused returns Samples etc becuase i spent allot with them and can i mention evil bay?
Getting a kit set up is expensive, though there are special prices offered by many makeup brands for Pro's and trainee Pro's
Getting a wide range of concealer and foundations is costly but for darker skin clients there are often sales in the on darker skin tone foundations etc and of course mix them. Try to avoid ones with spf as they tend to go off sooner, though depends how busy she will be.
Ditto lip stick gloss etc. Mix em
I am new today to beauty geek so if this doh! Sorry
Mary

Last edited:
I am looking for this kind of training in the North East. Can anyone recommend?

Debbie

Hi your course sounds great, is it expensive? im looking for a make up course a short one, will it be a recognized qualification?

Hi your course sounds great, is it expensive? im looking for a make up course a short one, will it be a recognized qualification?

Hey,

All our courses are recognised and insurable.

We are currently finalising the programme ready to be delivered before the end of the year, prices will vary from £400-£1500.00 for varying levels.

If you pm me i can put you on our mailing list to receive updates

Latest posts

Back