makeup services

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Monroe

Reaction score
I want to offer make-up service to my clients for weddings and special

occassions but it's been a while since i have done it so i'm wanting opinions

on a good makeup brand that also has retail and also a refresh in training.

does anyone offer this service -do you find it popular and how much do you charge?

Hi, Jane Iredale do a training course. I don't retail the products as I'm not qualified in make-up yet, but I have used there range and it's very good.

Hi Hun,
I am doing a one day cosmetic make up course at NSI on Monday, aimed at the Bridal market. Will let you know how I get on. It is in Manchester, you could give them a call 0500 131 009. You may even get on Mondays course £180 including brushes and a kit. Lotsa luv x

I use Jane Iredale make up on myself it is fab

Hi

I have invested in a company called Barbra Bort makeup.

It is from Italy and is a Mineral makeup and it is lovely, I am renting a room above a hairdresses and I am now retailing a full makeup range.

I even use it myself and would,nt look back on my usual makeup I think its fantastic with a great range of colours there is NO minimum start up costs, the lady is lovely and goes through everything in detail with you until your satisfied with want you want. and if your going to retail its next day delivery which is great you can spend as much or less as you want.
Have a look at her website:
:: SPARKLE COSMETICS ::
I would definetly recommed this makeup

I currently use ARTDECO. I love it. They have a small starter kit for mobile therapists and do some brilliant retail packages. I have done Cosmetic paties in the past, their tester products are very cheap and you get a good return on what you sell as they always have offers on. I dont keep stock in, I simply take payment, order and its here within 48hrs usually!Not sure about the training tho.

I want to offer make-up service to my clients for weddings and special

occassions but it's been a while since i have done it so i'm wanting opinions

on a good makeup brand that also has retail and also a refresh in training.

does anyone offer this service -do you find it popular and how much do you charge?
Hi Carla, I see that you are based in Leeds which I know is quite far north. I travelled 2 hours from Hertfordshire to Telford area to receive 2 x one day training certificates for bridal and Asian, African and Oriental skin tones with Nathalie Page. Both great courses as Nathalie is very experienced in the make-up industry.

I highly recommend her for a refresher.

I can't particularly recommend any one make-up range for bridal as so many excellent make-up is available. You don't have to stick to one brand. You can mix and match as this offers a broader choice of colours, tones and textures.

I also recommend that you start practising like mad on friends and family and even strangers. I do this :eek:. Yes I do, but then I'm not shy, lol. Example, if I go into a pub and the waitress is friendly, polite and gorgeous, I introduce myself and ask if she would like a free makeover. She has to come to me. Take before and after pics and then start building up a portfolio. This will build your skill and confidence too and you will have something to show your prospective clients.

HTH. Let me know if you want anymore info re Nathalie, but you can type her name into google and her make-up school is there on first page.

Last edited:
Hiya,
I recently had an intensive training day with Louise Young,a well known make up guru Louise Young - Makeup artist for Fashion, Film and Television. She uses a multitude of different products. A great tip of hers was to use a colourless powder available from rcma you can get it from screenface in Covent garden.
xx

Hiya,
I recently had an intensive training day with Louise Young,a well known make up guru Louise Young - Makeup artist for Fashion, Film and Television. She uses a multitude of different products. A great tip of hers was to use a colourless powder available from rcma you can get it from screenface in Covent garden.
xx
Interestingly enough, Nathalie also recommends Screenface, lol. She uses it in her make-up school. It is great for bridal because it is designed for stage and film so goes the distance under harsh lighting etc.....

It is quite pricey IMO but I have a few products and have purchased some of their cosmetic brushes which are excellent quality. You get what you pay for in most cases I suppose.

I stress again as firemouse also mentions, that I don't think you should just settle for a particular brand eg. MAC. Build up a stock of various reputable quality products. May cost more but will serve you well in the long run.

You may get brides specifically asking for a brand, eg. a popular one is MAC.
Ask them why they want a MAC look? Often they don't know but want it beacause it's in fashion or they had a makeover at the the MAC counter or their best friend said so.

My point is that a good make-up artist can do wonders with any good brand. A bad make-up artist can scr*w up the look of even one good brand. Hope this makes sense.

I offer wedding and special occasion makeup, i charge £70 for bridal makeup that includes the trial

Summer is most busiest for weddings, graduations, proms etc

Screenface makeup is brill ScreenFace - Professional Make-up, special effects make-up, theatrical

makeup requires lots and lots of practice and always be sure to take pics to build up your portfolio

hi carla I did a Jane Iredale make up course on tuesday and liked the products. The minimum order is 500 but if you have a salon the make up artist comes up to your salon and does a one to one with your customers which always makes them buy the product. I like mineral make up but thought jane ire dale was quite expensive for some of my clients so I bought in lily lolo starting order only 250. there foundations are 12 but jane iredale is about 35. Lily lolo is going down well but jane iredale range has so much more products. I don't have jane iredale yet but I,m seriously thinking about it, the make up artist made it look such a professional range. They do courses all the time as well which is good for you and the clients

Hi Hun,
I am doing a one day cosmetic make up course at NSI on Monday, aimed at the Bridal market. Will let you know how I get on. It is in Manchester, you could give them a call 0500 131 009. You may even get on Mondays course £180 including brushes and a kit. Lotsa luv x

Hi,
I was wondering how your make-up course went.

I was also thinking of doing a make-up course to get more ideas as I don't feel I got enough on make-up at college.
NSI was one of the places I was thinking about.

Thank you :green::green:

:hug:
Hi,
I was wondering how your make-up course went.

I was also thinking of doing a make-up course to get more ideas as I don't feel I got enough on make-up at college.
NSI was one of the places I was thinking about.

Thank you :green::green:
Hi Hun,
Course was OK, only OK nothing fantastic. The educator was great, really lots of tips and ideas, she did her job well. But we were all disapointed in the kit we got, it is a salon systems kit, not the brand of make up NSI sell, they said their range in a kit would have made the course too expensive. We all felt we would have prefered to have done the course with the brand they sell, letting us use their products and then choosing to buy it, thus leaving us without a kit, but the choice of whether to buy theirs or not. Then they could have reduced the price of the course as no kit would have been provided. We also got a brush set, very mid range, I have better quality brushes at home already. The course stated you got a kit and manual, we were only given a booklet that had been photo copied, to be fair to the educator, she did go and make a lot of copies for us from her own manual. Then to top it off, when they advertise the courses and on the 7 I have already done there, lunch is included, (it is only a few sandwiches and crisps) we were told yesterday, no lunch incuded, and there is a food trailor outside. There was only 6 on the course yesterday, I now have certificate, but will do a lot of studying of the notes we were given and buy a couple of recommended books. I would not recommend the course. I was disapointed, but this is the 1st time as all my other courses with NSI have been great. Good luck with what you choose. Lotsa luv x :hug:

:hug:
Hi Hun,
Course was OK, only OK nothing fantastic. The educator was great, really lots of tips and ideas, she did her job well. But we were all disapointed in the kit we got, it is a salon systems kit, not the brand of make up NSI sell, they said their range in a kit would have made the course too expensive. We all felt we would have prefered to have done the course with the brand they sell, letting us use their products and then choosing to buy it, thus leaving us without a kit, but the choice of whether to buy theirs or not. Then they could have reduced the price of the course as no kit would have been provided. We also got a brush set, very mid range, I have better quality brushes at home already. The course stated you got a kit and manual, we were only given a booklet that had been photo copied, to be fair to the educator, she did go and make a lot of copies for us from her own manual. Then to top it off, when they advertise the courses and on the 7 I have already done there, lunch is included, (it is only a few sandwiches and crisps) we were told yesterday, no lunch incuded, and there is a food trailor outside. There was only 6 on the course yesterday, I now have certificate, but will do a lot of studying of the notes we were given and buy a couple of recommended books. I would not recommend the course. I was disapointed, but this is the 1st time as all my other courses with NSI have been great. Good luck with what you choose. Lotsa luv x :hug:

Thank You Poshfloss for all your info.
I think I will give NSI up here a phone and see what they say, but I will also keep looking around for make-up courses.:hug:

If anybody can reccommend a 1-2 day make-up course up here in Scotland that would be great.
Thank you :D:D

Latest posts

Back