Making the room calm and relaxing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quiet Therapist

Reaction score
Hello Geeks, I rent a room in a multi discipline health centre. The room is used throughout the week for various other therapies and so it is very functional.

I really stress the relaxation and calm element of my treatments (Facials, Aromatherapy, Reflexology, Pedicures) .

I play music, have the lights on dim but wondered if anyone else has any tips on helping to make the environment more calm and welcoming? Im not able to light candles. I do take my own fluffy towels.

Thanks so much for any ideas you may have.

Hello Geeks, I rent a room in a multi discipline health centre. The room is used throughout the week for various other therapies and so it is very functional.

I really stress the relaxation and calm element of my treatments (Facials, Aromatherapy, Reflexology, Pedicures) .

I play music, have the lights on dim but wondered if anyone else has any tips on helping to make the environment more calm and welcoming? Im not able to light candles. I do take my own fluffy towels.

Thanks so much for any ideas you may have.

Have you tried LED candles and scented oil diffusers?

LED candles are a great idea thank you!

I have a diffuser I can use too.

Much appreciated. Sometimes you can over think things and forget what you needed to think about?! If that makes sense

Try a salt lamp! Really nice for alternative therapies.

I second the salt lamp and LED/battery operated candles! Or you can get salt tea light holders, maybe do the battery operated tea lights in the salt tea light holders! Some sort of large crystal/crystal towers are nice as well. In my treatment room I have a huge chunk of rose quartz and a selenite tower placed amongst the (fake, in case of allergies!) plants I have displayed in various size/shapes of pots. I burn a piece of palo santo and spray some This Works deep sleep spray right before clients come into the room for a treatment. (I love sage as well, but sage tends to travel throughout an establishment, palo santo diffuses moments afterwards.) A heating pad on the table is always nice, as is a cozy blanket.

You don't mention whether you have to take everything out at the end of he day, or whether you can leave things in situ.

You can be quite creative with lighting effects. A lamp placed on the floor, inside a wicker or lacy shade creates interesting light and shade. I have one from Ikea in the corner of the room, placed on its side at an angle on the floor.

You could add pools of light with small table lights as well as warm glows with salt lamps. If you use an led lamp you can drape a sheer fabric over to diffuse and colour the light - just be careful to check the fabric doesn't get hot. You can improvise with a tissue paper over a bin with an led torch inside. Battery fairy lights inside a jar is another atmospheric effect.

A large pot, bowl or ornament will also add "warmth". Have a look in your nearest TK Maxx. Drape it with battery fairy lights, or position it with a little ikea lamp it will look even better.

I have zen gardens dotted around including beneath my couch breath hole for something better to look at than dust bunnies. A Japanese zen garden usually has sand raked into a pattern, plus some sculptural objects such as natural wood or stones and ideally something that adds another dimension, such as sky reflected in water, or flames for meditation/contemplation. Mine are very simple just a plate, bowl or other container with some pretty objects placed in.
It's great fun and can be done with just a few objects placed in a shallow bowl. Think marbles, crystal chips, fir cones, walnuts, teazels, led battery fairy lights, salt massage balls, pretty stones, tiny fossils.

If you have a diy bent you could try your hand at an indoor water feature with an aquarium pump and a pot filled with water and stones.

Can you hang pictures? IKEA has some great display/picture frames which could be used as shadow boxes to display some of the objects listed above.

Fabric adds softness, cosiness and warmth. Think about your couch set up. I have a pretty duvet cover under my towels to add colour and create drama. I use sarongs like sheets to contrast with my towels. They weigh nothing and often save me washing a towel. You could add a pretty cushion on your client chair or couch or some floor cushions in a corner. A fabric hanging would also work well, you could just have a pretty shawl folded and draped on a wooden hanger on the back of a door or hang any fabric or rug on a simple wall fixing.

You can't burn candles, but candles still make lovely displays either unused ones, or part burnt candles from home.

Screens also add a nice touch. If you look on eBay you can get nice Indian carved wooden ones for around £120 new. Just having one part opened creates a cosy intimate feel. Japanese style ones cost a lot less.

Have fun xx

Nothing to add but just want to come and have treatments with you guys [emoji23]

Thank you so much for all of your replies! I really appreciate them and you have given me lots of ideas.

I do have have to take everything and then clear the room when I have finished, so need to be mindful of that.

Thank you so much xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back