Making your own nail transfers?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MummyCat

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

A client of mine has asked me to recreate these nails.

Have any of you done anything like this before...was it easy/difficult?

Do you have any tips?

I think the possibilities with this is quite endless...I'll be putting pictures of everything and anything (mainly cats!) on nails!

Don't know where to start with this. Have you looked at transfers that already exist? There are already lots if skull ones out there. I think you mentioned cats, there are loads of those too.

Don't know where to start with this. Have you looked at transfers that already exist? There are already lots if skull ones out there. I think you mentioned cats, there are loads of those too.

Thanks for your response.

I really want to make my own, with personalised images.

The client is VERY fussy and wants X-Ray nails...she's had skulls already.

(I have cat ones too...but I want pictures of my cats and my clients cats...I seem to attract cat ladies!:eek:).

I've actually made my own transfers very easily, as my brother makes them for his model cars.

You just print your designs onto Inkjet water slide transfer paper.
The most popular type of paper, you make a layout of designs on the computer then print onto the paper. When it dries, you spray the sheet with Acrylic sealer spray, and then when that dries fully (about 24 hours) you're ready to cut and apply as you usually would.

It does seems a bit of faff, but very simple really and you can then design anything you want. The brother has told me though that you can get sheets now where no sealer spray is required- you just print and go.

I'll ask him for a link to both types x

Fee, thats awesome!

I'd really love to get those links from you.

Would that particular paper go though a regular printer? (We've got a big HP type).

Thank you x

Wow! These are great!

Sam Biddle has done some good tutorials on Youtube using Arabella forms. You've had a fantastic suggestion from Fee and this is another way. They could be made very thin so almost as flat as a transfer.

Fee, thats awesome!

I'd really love to get those links from you.

Would that particular paper go though a regular printer? (We've got a big HP type).

Thank you x

You can get Inkjet paper, for any inkjet home printer, or laser paper suitable for laser printers.

I'm bugging the boy now, will update shortly xx

Wow! These are great!

Sam Biddle has done some good tutorials on Youtube using Arabella forms. You've had a fantastic suggestion from Fee and this is another way. They could be made very thin so almost as flat as a transfer.

Hi Mum,

Thanks for your response.

I've just had a look at the videos, I don't think they're quite what I'm looking for on this occasion as I'm not sure you can actually print an image directly onto them...but they look fantastic for creating pre made gel/acrylic decals with.

What I'm looking to do is create more of a water decal/nail tattoo or some sort of foil, where the image is put directly onto the nails.

i've used the water decal paper too - I just bought mine from amazon. It works really well but you do need to seal the image (as suggested above) otherwise when you dip it in the water, the image will just wash away.

It works well though, i've made some simple decals that looked pretty good!
I've attached a picture of a pug decal I made to test them out!

Attachments

• pug.jpg
    pug.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 329
i've used the water decal paper too - I just bought mine from amazon. It works really well but you do need to seal the image (as suggested above) otherwise when you dip it in the water, the image will just wash away.

It works well though, i've made some simple decals that looked pretty good!
I've attached a picture of a pug decal I made to test them out!

I Love it! So cute!!!

I've actually made my own transfers very easily, as my brother makes them for his model cars.

You just print your designs onto Inkjet water slide transfer paper.
The most popular type of paper, you make a layout of designs on the computer then print onto the paper. When it dries, you spray the sheet with Acrylic sealer spray, and then when that dries fully (about 24 hours) you're ready to cut and apply as you usually would.

It does seems a bit of faff, but very simple really and you can then design anything you want. The brother has told me though that you can get sheets now where no sealer spray is required- you just print and go.

I'll ask him for a link to both types x

The inkjet ones need spraying, if you use a laser printer, the laser water transfer paper you buy doesn't need spraying x

Thank you to everyone that has helped with this.

I have just ordered the paper and spray and will let you know how I get on.

I can't wait to play! x

Latest posts

Back