Male massage abuse

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aidan Butler

Reaction score
Hello salon geek world I am a male massage therapist and I have been doing massage for just over a year now and I would like to think I am somewhat experienced However no matter how good/experienced I may be I still get the "I hope my massage isn't with you" and "I don't think it is right for you to massage me because you are a man " although it winds me up a bit I understand if people are self conscious but people are being just plain offensive. Any way just wondering if there are other massage therapists that have had similar experiences?

I've been massaging since the late 90's and have only ever had two people ask for someone else, the vast majority rightly or wrongly preferring a male therapist as they assume I would be firmer. My partner, who works as a personal trainer, is currently studying sports massage with Mel Cash's massage college and again probably half of the therapists are men. Perhaps it's the place you are working or the way they are advertising that's the issue?

I agree with the above. What is your set up like? Where do you operate from? Salon? Massage studio? Mobile etc? Xx

That's disgusting behaviour there's no need to be rude. Just stay professional and make sure everyone knows you will be performing te treatment x

I am salon based in a well respected salon in the area and I do Swedish, deep tissue, sports massage and hot stone massage. Usually people are OK but some insinuate that I'm "Pervy" which makes me feel a bit degraded, I do all I can to be professional but I hate it when I get stick off people. I'm just hoping I'm not the only male massage therapist that has experienced this?

Thank you for your reply's and I will for sure take on board what you're saying, thanks.

What is your working situation Aidan.I wouldn't take offence I think a lot of men don't like other men massaging them and as you have found out a lot of women don't want a man to be honest I prefer a women I didn't used to worry in my younger days but now I'm 50 I don't want a young bloke massaging me.

I also think a lot of men are uncomfortable with another man massaging them. Ridiculous I know. I once went to the beach with my then boyfriend and a male friend of our. I went off to get drinks to find them both sitting there waiting for me to return to apply suncream to them!! I couldn't stop laughing and asked them if they would rather burn in the sun than apply sun cream to each others backs. Still makes me laugh now. Some people are just ridiculous I find. Take it with a pinch of salt. It's not you, it's them and their silly attitude. Chin up, their loss.

I'm afraid this is the same for all sexes. Some will be happy and some won't!

My husband would be horrified at the thought of a man giving him a massage but I would be happy with either man or woman.
Don't take offence. As a female masseuse I used to refuse to treat men as I worked alone. Some took offence to that.

It is the way of the world I'm afraid!

Vic x

Hi Aidan, I have a good friend who is a male therapist. He's home based and has experienced this with new customers coming to his door and realising it's a man! He also got a few smarmy phone calls from males asking about his offerings so eventually had to close his website. Honestly, you are not alone. BTW, before I go for massage with a male therapist I do make sure my legs look decent!!

Latest posts

Back