Male receptionist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen889

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know how you would feel, as a client, if you called a spa or walked in and the receptionist was male? Would it put you off, make you uncomfortable etc? I'm very busy on Saturdays now and I need to hire a receptionist but my boyfriend (who's very personable and outgoing) has offered to help me for free. This would be great for my pocket :p but I'm just wondering how clients would feel about this as the norm is female.

I'd appreciate the honest feedback :)

Haha I've thought about this. I think it would be fine but I would ensure a few things. That he answers the phone with the salon name. That he has basic understanding of the treatments and that if you do intimate waxing, he is au fait with talking about it. So if someone says they want a bikini, that he can say regular or Brazilian - or whatever. If it's only a Saturday you can gauge reaction before it impacts on your business.

We were super busy and have employed another member of staff to take the pressure off. I considered reception but decided against as they don't generate any money. I'd be interested to hear how it goes.

Vic x

As a client this wouldn't bother me x

It wouldn't bother me, although the odd person might feel a bit awkward at first.

Just as long as he is able to explain the treatment a little without embarrassment I'm sure he will be fine x

I think it would go more of the age of the client but like the others have said as long as he has a background knowledge of the treatments you offer it may work wonders for yourself and obviously save and make you more money

At the spa that I work at one of our full time receptionist is male. He is amazing and knowledgeable and none of the clients seem to have an issue about it either. So just to back up what everyone else said just makes sure he knows how to explain the treatments to clients and has a polite manner :)

I would go with it. However if you think some clients would be a little uncomfortable just let them know in advance. Ie on saturday the whatever date john will join our team on reception. This gives notice to those that may not want to speak to a man so they know to call mon to fri to book apppointments and it will look a little more professional then a client walking in and feeling a little unsure as to why a man is there.

Good luck and let us know how it goes xx

Hi, my husband often helps on the reception desk evenings and weekends, when we're busy. Never had a problem. If he gets asked anything awkward he can always ask one of us so no problem at all. If we are in the treatment room he can always take a number and we can call when we are free. It is really helpful not to have to get up to answer phone / make appointments etc. Good Luck x

Haha I've thought about this. I think it would be fine but I would ensure a few things. That he answers the phone with the salon name. That he has basic understanding of the treatments and that if you do intimate waxing, he is au fait with talking about it. So if someone says they want a bikini, that he can say regular or Brazilian - or whatever. If it's only a Saturday you can gauge reaction before it impacts on your business.

We were super busy and have employed another member of staff to take the pressure off. I considered reception but decided against as they don't generate any money. I'd be interested to hear how it goes.

Vic x
Haha, great minds then. The nice thing about my boyfriend is he is so involved in my business he could be a beauty therapist himself :p he knows all the treatments, he's very outgoing and not shy so he's ok with all the technical terms without cringing.

I wanted to hire another beauty therapist but its very hard to find a good one here and then if you do they are not happy doing reception. I had the same thoughts about a receptionist as they don't generate income but I'm stuck now and since he's free its even better :p

Thanks for the input!! :)

Thanks everyone!! Makes me feel much better about it. I don't think my clients would mind so much, I think it's more me that worries about other people.

I'm very lucky that my boyfriend isn't shy about services, even Brasilians, and he knows all my treatments as well as I do.

Will let you know how it goes :)

Hi, my husband often helps on the reception desk evenings and weekends, when we're busy. Never had a problem. If he gets asked anything awkward he can always ask one of us so no problem at all. If we are in the treatment room he can always take a number and we can call when we are free. It is really helpful not to have to get up to answer phone / make appointments etc. Good Luck x
See my biggest thing is, since getting really busy, is I don't answer phones when with clients. It's their time with me so I do miss phone calls. I had a beauty therapist at one point and I noticed a huge difference with her answering the phones. I had a lot more appointments on my now quiet days. I'm hoping it will pick those quieter days up by having someone there to answer all the time.

Latest posts

Back