Manager problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mary Kate

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I'm looking for advice on what to do….

Our salon manager who am I really fond of just doesn't do anything to meet her role as a manager. She started as a beauty therapist and worked her way up to being the manager (she's been in the salon for years). She works doing treatments too and I have suggested on a number of occasions that she take say three out of her five days to not do treatments and get everything else done etc. I just feel that I as the owner do absolutely everything and I really need a manager to help. I can't be in the salon daily as I've a huge amount to do and I need someone to oversee treatment standards, product sales, training days (the list goes on!..).

I have countless numbers of times taken this up with her, suggested ideas to help etc but I can't help but feel that she just wants the title of manager and not what goes with it. I don't think she likes to give any constructive criticism for fear of people disliking her.

Another situation that happens is she becomes 'best friends' with some staff. Asks them out for drinks etc and previous employees have said that they felt she had favourites and to be honest I can see that myself. I just don't feel it's fair to everyone.

What can I do? She is a really great therapist and gets along excellent with clients.

Thanks in advance!

Mary Kate

I think as the owner you're going to have to toughen up a little bit. Instead of suggesting that perhaps she takes some days to do her managerial duties you need to tell her. Write up what a manager's job role is and the duties she is expected to perform. If it isn't for her then let her know she will have to go back to the role of beauty therapist and you will have to get a new manager.

Good luck x

You could just sit her down and explain that after serious thought you feel that she is better suited to a therapist position with no/less responsibility and that you have come to this decision due to the way things have been over an ongoing period. That she is a fantastic therapist and you want her to focus solely on that. Have you anybody else you can step up? If she has guaranteed clientele 5 days a week then taking 3 of them for other duties wouldn't financially make sense, you might be better to just hire a front of house manager and explain to her exactly why you are doing so.

The role of a Salon manager is completely different to the role of senior therapist especially if the salon owner is not hands on. I think you have muddled the two because it sounds like she's fulfilling the role of senior therapist at present. Is that how she sees her role?

Why did you promote her to manager?
When you drew up the job description, did you determine what were the essential requirements for the post holder? Being the most experienced therapist in the team is not the same as operating as an effective manager. They are two distinct roles. One person can fulfil both roles but only if they have the correct aptitude and range of skills.

It is your salon so you need to think about how you can make this work. Sit her down and go through the job description in some detail and address the areas that aren't currently working for you. Ultimately, you might have to face some difficult decisions!

Thank you! Great replies. You've helped me a lot! :)

I've seen this numerous times before working in spas. Even if someone is an amazing therapist their management skills can leave a LOT to be desired.

I don't know the answer but experience has taught me that this situation is quite common.

Latest posts

Back