Manicure routine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelenT59

Reaction score
Qualified in manicure and have been taught a certain way to adhere to standards of city and guilds.but searching this site,everyone seems to have a different mani routine!
Some say no soaking in water,as bad for the nail others say soak because that's what you are taught. C&G teach this...file and shape,buff,cuticle cream,soak,push back cuticles,use cuticle remover solution...soak...then use nippers to take away cuticle and matter in nail plate...check over shape and polish!
Please tell me your thoughts or confusions!

My understanding is that you would assess the nails first to see what kind of conditions are present and then decide whether to do the soak. Conditions like delamination and brittle nails are usually caused by too much exposure to water (I usually find these conditions in clients that work in clinics and have to wash their hands after every patient) so I would not soak these but maybe add a paraffin treatment instead. If the client has natural healthy nails though there is no reason not to soak as it helps to push back the cuticles!

I left college feeling confused about the manicure and pedicure routine.

After doing a number of training courses there is no right or wrong answer as long as it follows a logical sequence and it massively annoys me when people imply that there's this one right way to do it. I do....

Sanitise
Exfoliate
Soak/remove products/dry
Apply cream and do arm/hand/finger massage
(Use mitts if it's a luxury manicure)
Do cuticle work
Cut/file/shape nail
Squeak with polish remover
Base coat/2 colour coats/top coat

Latest posts

Back