Many questions about hot stones

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiser

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been thinking about training in hot stone massage to add to training I have already done.

Whilst researching I have seen and read many things and I just wondered if you could help me out a bit so I don't go in to it totally blind!

I have been watching example videos that the stones are used as an extension of your hand in movements no different to Swedish, is this true or is the whole procedure of a hot stone massage totally different?

I have been looking at complete stone and heater kits. The amount of stones vary, how many would you normally find you actually need? Some of the kits seem to vary by about 20 stones! I would be lucky if I were to complete one hot stone massage a week so I can't see me needing a next 'set' ready! I saw that you may need 4 stones for the backs of the legs, 2 for the back etc.... do you have to put stones back in to heat during the service?!

One last thing, I saw someone using a slow cooker to heat the stones. Is this common practice? The kits I were looking at didn't seem to be much more expensive than having to buy a set of stones and then a decent sized slow cooker?!

Thank you for having a read through. I know I will get all the answers from training just I am not a very 'put my hand up and ask' kind of a person so just wondered if I could go in with a bit of info :)

Thank you x

They certainly can be used in your hands while you massage 'swedish style'! There are also different moves and you can use them to 'tap' muscle knots out too.
The course I did was very good and it also goes into health and safety while using the stones, heat sensitivity etc.
I bought my complete kit, but I would probs say it was a smallish kit.
When you do training they will show you the layout of the stones, and then you can work out how many stones you should have.
I do reheat the stones during a treatment, but one set is all I need, as I don't do it all day, every day. I have a proper heater as its much more controllable that a slow cooker, which usually only has 3 settings (high, low and automatic). I also made sure I bought stones that were naturally shaped, rather than all the same/manufactured looking ones..that was just my preference...
Hope this helps xx

I use a Vulsini hot stone heater that uses dry heat and I use it for mobile treatments. It's been such a good investment as hot stone massage is my most popular treatment!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

I started with a small heater and one set of natural stones but I've now built up my hot stone clients and upgraded to a large heater. I find the large heater has better temperature control and it's easier to see which stone you're getting out.

One set of stones was fine but I do enjoy the luxury of having two sets so I don't need a quick turn around if I have back to back massage.

Thank you so much for your replies :) I am really looking forward to starting this one! I was just really confused about the amount of stones! I didn't know if I were to be using all 70 stones per massage!

Latest posts

Back