Masks from July 19th

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam@mps

Reaction score
Hey all,

What's your thoughts about still wearing masks from July 19th and asking clients to do the same?

I own a small salon and I work alone, so I can't afford to be off and I'm just weary that once summer ends, are we going to be back to those customers coughing and sneezing, coming in like they do without a thought of anyone else?
Or do you think I'm just over cautious to continue with masks?

I was going to post on the forum about the exact same thoughts about the 19th. Nothing whatsoever will change in my salon ...no way!
So far it has worked in protecting us and I am not changing a thing. I have quizzed a few clients and they are hugely relieved that things will stay the same.
Pre covid questionnaire- tick
Lateral flow tests done-tick. Most of my clients do one before their appointment anyway. I am very lucky to have such responsible clients.
Masks -absolutely no exceptions-tick
Social distancing- tick
Online payments where possible-tick
Cleaning and sanitation remaining vigilant-tick
Minimal belongings-tick
Ventilation-tick

Why change and ruin all that we have achieved so far? Each to their own, but I am also still caring for two sets of vulnerable elderly parents as well and they could have less immunity despite having both jabs. I am not risking anything.

So Sam@mps I am with you !!!

I will be continuing with existing arrangements with exception of ditching plastic aprons, I cannot deal with sweaty plastic over my body. I'm nails not beauty so wasn't a requirement more a recommendation anyway. I did 95% of the stuff before hand anyway so no change.

I will continue to ask my clients to wear masks at least until the winter (Oct/Nov) and will review then. A winter peak is being mentioned so will continue using them if we're in that situation.

I will be continuing with existing arrangements with exception of ditching plastic aprons, I cannot deal with sweaty plastic over my body. I'm nails not beauty so wasn't a requirement more a recommendation anyway. I did 95% of the stuff before hand anyway so no change.

I will continue to ask my clients to wear masks at least until the winter (Oct/Nov) and will review then. A winter peak is being mentioned so will continue using them if we're in that situation.

Agreed, I get so sweaty I usually have to shower and change between clients in the summer anyway 🤣🤣 dont need an apron for fresh uniform each time anyway

I am happy to begin to live with covid as this is not going away. So I will give me clients the choice to choose.

I am happy to begin to live with covid as this is not going away. So I will give me clients the choice to choose.

Will you continue to wear one?

The clients that have discussed this with me (and it seems to be on everyone’s mind at the moment) are all relieved and enthusiastic that I’m not planning to change anything. I’m going to stop taking client’s temperature, I’m lucky - my clients are a responsible lot, I’ve only had one person measure 38° everyone else is surprisingly cold and yes I’ve double checked my laser thermometer by measuring my own temperature with an oral reading. I live in fear that I’ll temperature zap clients hands and accidentally spray them with hand sanitiser between the eyes.

I think I’ll give clients a disposable mask. Disposable masks are a lot more comfortable to wear than most fabric masks and they are very affordable now, I’m thinking of making a disposable mask part of my client protocol as an alternative to their fabric masks anyway. A fabric mask is fine if you are relaxing and having a nice pedi but I get overheated walking between shops in my fabric mask so I’d hate to have to wear a fabric mask during a Hollywood.

I’ve no plans to pack in bookings and I’m keeping a gap between clients. I’m also keeping a minimum booking charge to keep out the quick pop ins. I don’t want or need clients that treat me as a grab n go experience.

All staff will be masked. We don’t use visors anymore, we have Perspex screes to tilt over faces if we can’t socially distance and our small rooms have air purifiers. An air purifier is no good in a large room but these all have good ventilation apart from one room where the air doesn’t seem to circulate- so I’ve installed a good extraction fan which I am very happy with.

I’m also going to keep my refreshments ban. I don’t have a dishwasher. I’m thinking how I can bring back spring water for clients. I don’t want a dispensing machine as I don’t want to invite requests or offer water as a matter of course - so it might be a jug in a little fridge - or maybe even mini bottles…I’m still musing.

Just to add to the mix, we may have industry guidelines to adhere to which will clarify any grey areas that we may have.
I am expecting my professional body to give a statement and updated advice regarding the way forward after July 19th as they have done so in the past.

I will continue use my covid screen

Just to add to the mix, we may have industry guidelines to adhere to which will clarify any grey areas that we may have.
I am expecting my professional body to give a statement and updated advice regarding the way forward after July 19th as they have done so in the past.

Bit like the Government though, they only produce something that 'should' be followed, or 'suggested' behaviour instead of giving us clear, definite directions that we can adhere to and ask of others to help us and them :(

I googled 'Guidelines' as a client tried to tell me I was doing unnecessary things (she's a conspiracy theroiest so it's a whole other thing to deal with), but it was an interesting result:-

A guideline is a statement or plan by which to determine a. course of action. A guideline aims to streamline particular processes according to a set routine or sound practice. By definition, following a guideline is never mandatory.

It's all so wishy-washy :mad: a bit like asking the public to 'do the right thing' with regard mask wearing - if it's the right thing to do then just say 'wear the mask', not 'wear the mask if you want, it's alright if you don't but it would be better if you did'

Glad to see we all had similar thoughts. I know what you mean about aprons, theyre like being in a constant sauna, crazy hot with the full ppe kit on 🤒

I'll definitely be keeping masks then. Its rife here in County Durham at the moment and as it turned out, ive had to isolate this last 6 days but wasn't ill and a negative test, just apparently been in contact with somebody outside of work 🤔

Latest posts

Back