Massage help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

girlynails

Reaction score
hi im half way though my course now i was wondering what a good massage cream is as we have oil at college and it doesnt smell to good and done my first massage with cream and perfered it but not sure which one to buy so i can pratise at home and when using talc which one also do you do many massage using talc oil or cream the most xx

To be honest, most massages are performed with oil. Part of your coursework will probably be to discuss other massage mediums such as cream or talc but 'in real life' you're most likely to use oil.

The oil they have at college may not be very nice... it's probably mineral oil, it might be old.. I recommend you get yourself some nice oil and take it in with you. I like sweet almond and I also like jojoba. (Jojoba is easiest to wash out of towels too, as strictly speaking it's a wax.)

Hth's

thanks but dont think we are aloud to take our own in its not nice what they use it smells yuk and i cant get it out of my white uniform either we were told to buy oil from supermarket to practise at home with but i want something nice where do i buy these oils from will my local beauty store have them xxxx

Which is your local beauty store? If it's Sally or Capital or something similar - yes, they will definitely have massage oils. Failing that, you can buy online.

I'm really shocked they told you to buy something in the supermarket. Maybe they are trying to save you money :eek:

I would make a point of asking if you can use your own. Just be careful, if you get a nut oil such as almond oil, with nut allergy sufferers :hug:

thats prob one of the main reasons we are not aloud to bring in our own i have a sallys few miles away i will go there tomorrow and get some thanks for helping xx

It would be fine to use oil from a supermarket.It is for human consumption so is possibly even better grade than oil for massage it certainly wouldnt be any worse.
They dont mean frying oil but you can use sunflower,almond,grapeseed advocado you will find all these supplied by massage suppliers and they dont grow a special type of almond or grape for the beauty industry you are just getting it in different packaging from different suppliers.
I use almond oil and grapeseed both from the supermarket because its just easier to pop it in the trolley i also dont want to pay the prices they want for small bottles at the suppliers and i dont want to buy it by the gallon.
I cant recommend a cream as i never use it,i don't even know of one.
You could buy a pre blended aromatherapy oil from a wholesalers or healthshop or look on the net for suppliers.
I blend my own oils but i am a trained aromatherapist and you should only be using pre blended oils for insurance purposes.

hiya , I mainly used grapeseed oil whilst training , i purchased it from the college i was at but aparently the grapessed oil thats in tescos is exactly the same but without the price tag . ! You can by preblended massage oils to such as aromathrepy ones for specific ailments such as aches and pains also stretch marks . Strictly profeesional do a good range , these would be suitable whilst you are training , I work in a wholesalers part time and have seen that these are popular with many therapists and are well priced , Strictly proffestional also do a massage cream , Im sure tho that your local wholesalers will offer thier particualr brand in these items too . When i was training i mainly used talc on men especially if they had oily back !

I stand corrected! It had never even occurred to me to look in the supermarket. Sounds like a good idea after all :)

I would never use a supermarket oil aimed at the food market for massage and am horrified that the college has suggested it - do they not have any professional standards?

It is a long time since I trained, so the details are hazy, but I do remember that they are not the same. Massage oils are cold pressed whereas oils for consumption are heat treated and homogenised.

I would never use a supermarket oil aimed at the food market for massage and am horrified that the college has suggested it - do they not have any professional standards?

It is a long time since I trained, so the details are hazy, but I do remember that they are not the same. Massage oils are cold pressed whereas oils for consumption are heat treated and homogenised.

I have to admit, I did wonder if there would be a difference in the way the oils are processed, but I just don't know. This thread is the first time I've heard of supermarket oils being used.

Not all supermarket oils are heat treated - you can buy cold pressed oils they are just more expensive than the kind of thing you fill your chip pan with! I suppose they do say you should never put on your body what you wouldn't put in it!

That said, I've never used supermarket oils as in my experience a lot of them smell of of oil, whereas the ones I buy from my essential oil supplier don't. Also I have yet to see Waitrose & Sainsbury's selling Rosehip Seed & Borage oil for cooking!

Last edited:
I was told not to use supermarket oils because they are not as well filtered as oils that you would use on the body - you certainly wouldn't use them to mix aromatherapy oils with.
A nice cheap massage cream to try is solutions from hive - it melts into the skin but doesn't dry out so you dont need to use too much of it, and has a pleasant smell. I've started using more of this particularly in this cold weather where the skin is slightly more dry than usual. Having said that you can't beat a good quality oil blended with aroma oils for a truly relaxing massage...xXx

Not all supermarket oils are heat treated - you can buy cold pressed oils they are just more expensive than the kind of thing you fill your chip pan with!

Thanks Martin - I must admit I only every buy olive oil and as HATE shopping ;) I never hang around to look at the different types.

no one ever said the college suggested it lol , i was mearely saying i purchased professional oil from my college but i know off people who use stuff from tescos whilst training ,, as far as im aware tho there is no known health risks if u do use this on your skin , Also just to add when my daughter was born she had dry skin and the midwifes sugested olive oil from the super market , much better than all those lotion and potions on my babys skin and it actuall worked. Also at a baby massage centre olive oil was used there to by the therapists. Obviously in our profession we should NOT just use the cheapest of products but im sure whilst training these oils would be fine ,

Last edited:
If you are buying from an aromatherapy suppliers they will probably only be selling the best grade oil it will probably be organic and yes maybe extracted in a different way.I actually doubt this from the local wholesalers as most don't state this on the bottle so its likely to be the same as the supermarket.
For an aromatherapy treatment you would be using the organic carrier oils alongside the best aromatherapy essential oils ,there are so many grades of those as well,but for an ordinary massage, based on slip and smell, there is absolutely nothing wrong with an oil from the supermarket.Rather that than a mineral massage oil.
Olive oil wouldnt be used because it often has a strong smell.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back