Massage while pregnant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shellie xx

Reaction score
Hi! My friend has 11 weeks to go of her pregnancy and is really suffering at the mo ~ she's got that thing when your hips go out of place so is very very sore at the mo. She is desperate for a massage and does normally do massage on pregnant women at the same stage as her. She told me that she normally gets them to lie on their side then you massage, then the other way (this is if you don't have one of those lovely massage beds that can accomodate for pregnant women).

Does anyone have any tips on how I could massage my friend so that most importantly she is comfortable and so am I??? xx

for aback massage, get her to sit on a stool at the end of your couch and rest her head in her arms on the couch. I had this done when i was 8 months pregnant and it was fab! hth x x x

Thats such a good idea and so simple! Why didn't I think of that!!! How would I make sure I get low enough? Bend my legs loads?

you could always sit on a little step or stool thats shorter in height i suppose. Or kneeling on a cushion might be a little easier.
HTH X X

Thank you Stacie, you've been a great help xx

No worries hunny anytime x x

Hi there

I do alot of massages for pregnant women in my salon, you can either have the bed slightly tilted up ( not too much ) have them lie on their side with a cushion under the bump for support.
Or
have them sit on a comfortabe chair at the end of the bed with a cushion on the bump for support and then they can rest their arms and head on the couch.
Or
Have them sat on a comfortable chair ( which car,nt move ) straddled with a cushion/pillow in front of the bump so they can rest there arms and head on it.

Dont let them lay on there backs as this can stop the oxgen to the baby make sure they stay sidewards if lying on the bed

Thank you Lavender Rose ~ she had told me that when she has massaged a pregnant woman before she got her to lay on her side. I think I might get her to sit on a chair and lean on my couch for the back and then I think she wants her legs masssaged too so will get her to lie on her side for that. Wish me luck ~ it's this morning. She's my friend anyway so it will be fine, I was just intrigued because I had always thought I shouldn't really massage a pregnant woman!

Thank you for all of your help xx

To be honest, there's shouldn't be much of a difference or risk if the pregnancy is problem free... the problems come with some of the conditions of pregnancy.

I would be surprised though if insurance would cover it without specific training and having a certificate (they're usually only one day post graduate courses, so well worth it). Not only will you learn to give a safe massage during pregnancy, but you will also learn techniques to give an effective one as well. Oh and you will learn how to position the pregnancy woman so it is both safe and comfortable.

Good luck

Is there a certain massage oil that you should or shouldn't use during pregnancy?

Usual massage creams are fine but you have to be careful when using aromatherapy oils as this can trigger early labour. Jasmine, almond oil or any similar to this should be fine. Its aromatherapy oils that you need to steer clear of xxx

Jasmine should only be used in the last weeks of pregnancy. Unless you are qualified aromatherapist I would not use essential oils during pregnancy.

Edited to add: Jasmine is an essential oil, so not sure if you mean something different.

PLEASE do NOT juse Jasmine oil as it can trigger early pregnancy.

Use 1% of Lavander oil with carrier oil this will be ok if she is in her last few weeks.

DO NOT use Jasmine or Lavander in the first trimester, there is other oils you should avoid too, PM me if you want anymore advice.

I am a qualified aromatherapist of 6 yrs and do pregnancy massage.

If your not qualified in baby massage, just light efflerage is good enough.

Apparently lavender you shouldn't use. also you need to be careful with pressure points so the massage should be fairly light.

Latest posts

Back