Massive hairdressing confidence knock

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayesha

Reaction score
Hi geeks. So I’ve been hairdressing for 17 years and I’ve never had anything majorly go wrong untill now a client of mine was previously Ballayage (level 6 on roots level 10 very ash on mids and ends) I had been using wella t18 on her mids and ends to give her that silver/grey tone.
She decided at her appointment that she wanted to start going lighter again. So I did a full head of bleach foils with 20 vol. only bleaching the dark level 6 and not putting any through mids and ends. Left it for 45 mins. Rinsed it and it was bright orange so I applied wella t18 just to the area I’d lifted. Didn’t do anything!! I then suggested doing more foils again with 20 vol. this time it went very orange/yellow so again I applied the t18 just to thst area. Still didn’t do much. I washed her hsir in purple shampoo and it turned it purple I have never in all my years had this happen to me. I was deeply upset by it all. I refunded her her money and told her to go to a salon in the morning (I’m a mobile hairdresser and was fully booked) and that if it cost any additional money I would cover it!!! So she went to a salon explained everything I even wrote down everything I’d done and used and the outcome. Again they put a toner on the root and shampooed it in purple shampoo again which made her hair even brighter purple!!!! I purchased a clarifying shampoo and and a deep conditioner. I know these things happen from time to time but this has really knocked my confidence to the point I don’t know if I want to carry on hairdressing. It’s mafe me panic and question everything I do colour wise now!!! I’ve never really liked doing blondes and their so unpredictable!!! My lady is so lovely and very understanding of the whole situation which I am incredibly lucky for!!!! But I just feel so down about it all. How can I get my confidence back

Don’t worry, was the top coloured a level 6? Or natural level 6?

Don’t worry, was the top coloured a level 6? Or natural level 6?
It was actually coloured a level 5 but this was months ago so faded to a golden level 6. I did not color this tho

Hi geeks. So I’ve been hairdressing for 17 years and I’ve never had anything majorly go wrong untill now a client of mine was previously Ballayage (level 6 on roots level 10 very ash on mids and ends) I had been using wella t18 on her mids and ends to give her that silver/grey tone.
She decided at her appointment that she wanted to start going lighter again. So I did a full head of bleach foils with 20 vol. only bleaching the dark level 6 and not putting any through mids and ends. Left it for 45 mins. Rinsed it and it was bright orange so I applied wella t18 just to the area I’d lifted. Didn’t do anything!! I then suggested doing more foils again with 20 vol. this time it went very orange/yellow so again I applied the t18 just to thst area. Still didn’t do much. I washed her hsir in purple shampoo and it turned it purple I have never in all my years had this happen to me. I was deeply upset by it all. I refunded her her money and told her to go to a salon in the morning (I’m a mobile hairdresser and was fully booked) and that if it cost any additional money I would cover it!!! So she went to a salon explained everything I even wrote down everything I’d done and used and the outcome. Again they put a toner on the root and shampooed it in purple shampoo again which made her hair even brighter purple!!!! I purchased a clarifying shampoo and and a deep conditioner. I know these things happen from time to time but this has really knocked my confidence to the point I don’t know if I want to carry on hairdressing. It’s mafe me panic and question everything I do colour wise now!!! I’ve never really liked doing blondes and their so unpredictable!!! My lady is so lovely and very understanding of the whole situation which I am incredibly lucky for!!!! But I just feel so down about it all. How can I get my confidence back
I'm not familiar with T18 but I always have colour touch instamatics on hand ,, perfect for colour correction. I had a similar problem a few months ago I lightened a ladies hair left the lightener on full development time and it was glowing orange!! I had no 8/81 there and I kind of went in to melt down in the bath k room and then it hit me instamatics ocean storm is blue! And blue counteracts orange!!
So I braves it and applied it with 1.9% and watched like a hawk, it cooled it down in seconds and then slowly turned yellow ish then I thought ill leave it a bit longer and see what happened (I can always cleanse it out) and after 10 minutes it was a very pale blonde and it was lovely! She loved it, and still does she back in on Tuesday to have the same done again!
I've also used jaded mint on red hair to neutralise.
I've used muted mauve on yellow hair to tone to white hope this helps a little.

I'm not familiar with T18 but I always have colour touch instamatics on hand ,, perfect for colour correction. I had a similar problem a few months ago I lightened a ladies hair left the lightener on full development time and it was glowing orange!! I had no 8/81 there and I kind of went in to melt down in the bath k room and then it hit me instamatics ocean storm is blue! And blue counteracts orange!!
So I braves it and applied it with 1.9% and watched like a hawk, it cooled it down in seconds and then slowly turned yellow ish then I thought ill leave it a bit longer and see what happened (I can always cleanse it out) and after 10 minutes it was a very pale blonde and it was lovely! She loved it, and still does she back in on Tuesday to have the same done again!
I've also used jaded mint on red hair to neutralise.
I've used muted mauve on yellow hair to tone to white hope this helps a little.
God I’m so glad it worked for you. I’ve always been scared of toners!!!! So I have a lady who I do a root bleach on!! She’s a base of a 6 I use bleach and 20 vol on her root but it always lifts orange yellow. I used wella kp 10/8 with pastel n it toned it ok ish!!! Am I going too light with a 10?? Should I be using a 9?? Her mids and ends are white tho

God I’m so glad it worked for you. I’ve always been scared of toners!!!! So I have a lady who I do a root bleach on!! She’s a base of a 6 I use bleach and 20 vol on her root but it always lifts orange yellow. I used wella kp 10/8 with pastel n it toned it ok ish!!! Am I going too light with a 10?? Should I be using a 9?? Her mids and ends are white tho
I would definitely go down to a 9/8 maybe even an 8? If I see any orange and yellow then I usually mix colour touch 8/81 and 9/16 or 8/81 and 10/6. With 1.9%
Or you can try mixing ocean storm instamatics with muted mauve instamatics to tone hope this helps

It sounds like your toning too light for your bases.

If you lift to an orange yellow then that is only a level 7. Either you need to reformulate to get the bleach up to a 10 or use a level 7 to tone.

For the client that went wrong I think when your trying to lift old colour on the roots and they have had Balayage you need to tell them that the roots usually won’t match.

I usually foil the bleach then take some pieces in between the foils and colour a 6 or 7 to match the roots. Then tone to even it out.

Or you would need to lift the old colour out first before foiling

Hi, i recently experienced the same thing, & my client wants her money back, its frustrating the first time, she loved her hilites, then she did her retouch, her application got on the hilites i did, then she decided to cover all the hilites, hence starting the process all over again, when it turned blorange, with a few blonde hilites, she now wants her money back,

Hi, i recently experienced the same thing, & my client wants her money back, its frustrating the first time, she loved her hilites, then she did her retouch, her application got on the hilites i did, then she decided to cover all the hilites, hence starting the process all over again, when it turned blorange, with a few blonde hilites, she now wants her money back,
You need a toner with blue and violet in it

Latest posts

Back