Maternity allowance query

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannajadem

CND Education Ambassador
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm starting my maternity leave soon (I'm self employed so am entitled to MA). I know I can work for 10 days during the entire leave without affecting my benefit.
However, whilst I'm off I still need to cover direct debits that come out of my business account like my phone, website and credit card machine as even though I won't be using these while I'm off, I'm still under contract with these companies. I know I'll be able to cover them as I'll be receiving MA, even if my Keep in touch days don't pay much. But is this allowed? Will I be deemed to be working if I'm going to the bank to pay money in even though I'm not taking a wage from the business?
Will anyone even check? I know I'm not working, but anyone looking at my business bank statements might think I am as there's money going in and out.

Call HM Revenue & customs to ask. I would think if it's outgoings not ingowings it would be fine but you need to check and get it in writing.

Latest posts

Back