Maternity leave for self employed mobile hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraB81

Reaction score
Ok ladies , so I am planning on starting a family soon , and I was wondering as I am a self employed mobile hairdresser , how much time off would be acceptable to have? I know it's my choice but if I take 9 months off then I'm not likely to have any clients to go back too? Just wanted to pick other women's brains that may have been in a similar situation ?

In my county you get 4months Max any more and it's un paid . Most cases you are likely going to have another baby within the following year or kids are at average of 2 years age gap.
So you won't be able to work the last month of your pregnancy of you mobile as it could become quite uncomfortable for you.
I would think staying home till your kids are 2 years old would be ideal but all depends on if you able to financially do that.

I'm planning on only having one child actually and in this country I am intitled to 9 months off with maternity allowance . I also don't know any families that are in a financial position to stay at home until there child is 2 . I'm sure there are other hairdressers out there that are in the same position as me that may be able to shed some light on the best option ?

I'm planning on only having one child actually and in this country I am intitled to 9 months off with maternity allowance . I also don't know any families that are in a financial position to stay at home until there child is 2 . I'm sure there are other hairdressers out there that are in the same position as me that may be able to shed some light on the best option ?
I went back after 6 weeks but only part time , my advise would be pick out the clients that you want to keep , hassle free ones , good earners and cut back , this worked for me and when your little one starts school you can gradually increase your hours x

I'm a self-employed mobile Beauty therapist, I worked right up until the end of my pregnancies,as this worked for me, I wasn't very big with either of my girls,luckily! I finished up about 2 weeks before I was due! I took about 5 months off, then went back part time, most clients you will find will come back! It took a little while to build things up but I worked mainly evenings initially so I could be with my daughter as much as I could! It's great that your entitled to MA too as this eases things financially! My best advice is, enjoy your time off with your baby, don't feel guilty, DO NOT let your clients hassle you! (I had clients after 2 weeks messaging me & asking me,am I back to work yet!?) you won't get this time again make the most of it!!

Hi, I worked right to the end which worked fine for me. I cut down my clients to Saturdays only and went back after a month. I took my son with me in carry chair, all my clients were fine with this arrangement and wanted a cuddle! You do what's best for you everyone is different and it depends on how you feel after giving birth. Good luck.

I am a self employed nail tech, currently 37 weeks pregnant and just going in to my last week of working now. I have quieted it right down though so I'm doing maximum 3 clients a day!
I am planning on taking my time off until after the new year, as I think that there just wouldn't be enough hours in the day for me to look after my little one plus fit all my clients in before Christmas! So probably around 4/5 months for me :)
Every single one of my customers has been great about the time off I'm planning to take, and most have even said not to rush back [emoji5]️
I think being self employed you have to expect that you are probably going to lose a few of your clients, as that's the risk you take by being self employed and having time off!
Me and my husband have worked our socks off to make sure we define will not struggle financially, and I also qualify for MA which will be such a huge help! But I 100% agree that you will never get this time back with your little one! Do what is right by you and your family [emoji173]️ xxx

I'm a self employed beauty therapist and I'm 31 weeks pregnant with my second. With my son I took 3 months off and in hindsight it really wasn't enough time for me. This time I'm taking 10 months off. I fully expect to lose a few clients but for me, I feel you never get the time back and really 10 months is not too long in the grand scheme of things. However I am fortunate that my husband earns a good wage but things will still be a little tight when I'm off. Maternity allowance certainly helps out too. I hope that helps you xx

Hi ladies , I have been thinking and I am planning to probably finish a couple of weeks before baby due , then take 3 -4 months off when baby arrives . I do have a handful of lovely clients that are no hassle and good earners that I will continue to see throughout that time , but it really is literally a few clients . Anyone else can wait until I'm back or go to a salon in the mean time. Perhaps when I return I could do an offer ? 25% off first app then if u rebook 15% off then if u rebook another app after 5% off? After 3 appointments back with me I would imagine the client will be back to a routine with me again . I feel bad for the ones that will have to go elsewhere but I'm only planning 1 child , so I want to make the most of my time with him/her

Hi ladies , I have been thinking and I am planning to probably finish a couple of weeks before baby due , then take 3 -4 months off when baby arrives . I do have a handful of lovely clients that are no hassle and good earners that I will continue to see throughout that time , but it really is literally a few clients . Anyone else can wait until I'm back or go to a salon in the mean time. Perhaps when I return I could do an offer ? 25% off first app then if u rebook 15% off then if u rebook another app after 5% off? After 3 appointments back with me I would imagine the client will be back to a routine with me again . I feel bad for the ones that will have to go elsewhere but I'm only planning 1 child , so I want to make the most of my time with him/her

If you do qualify for maternity allowance you do get 10 'keep in touch' days where you can still do work and claim your MA, so they might come in helpful [emoji5]️
Your ideas about offers sound good, but don't sell yourself short. I'm sure your quality of work speaks for itself and clients will come back regardless [emoji5]️

Best of luck starting your family! I'm 1 week away from my due date, it's such an exciting time xxxx

If you do qualify for maternity allowance you do get 10 'keep in touch' days where you can still do work and claim your MA, so they might come in helpful [emoji5]️
Your ideas about offers sound good, but don't sell yourself short. I'm sure your quality of work speaks for itself and clients will come back regardless [emoji5]️

Best of luck starting your family! I'm 1 week away from my due date, it's such an exciting time xxxx
Good luck with your baby! It's exciting but nerve wracking when you are self employed! X

Hi Laura. I'm due March 10th and am a mobile hairdresser! My plan is to work mobile until the end of February, so ten days before my due date (depending on if I can cope then!) then I'll be going back from July for 2 days a week and maybe Every other Saturday to fit in the ones I normally do in the evening as I don't fancy being out in the evening when my husband gets home.
I'm Hoping this works but will have to phase some clients out unfortunately. There's no way I can fit in my 5/6 day week into 2 days so like someone else said filter out your good earners / ok earners etc and choose which ones are worth while.
Good luck with your trying to conceive journey x

I'm a self employed therapist and worked right up until I went into hospital (I felt fine & went to part time)
I was back in the salon after 3weeks...my choice...I only did 2hours on the evening twice a week then built it up as I felt necessary
He's nearly 2 now and I do 12hour days 3times a week (no weekends)
I'm more picky with my customers, it was all my decision...we could afford for me to stay at home more but I love my job and felt it helped me not lose connections
It's not for everyone but unfortunately you will lose some clients along the way but you can always build it back up when ur ready, good luck with your baby

Latest posts

Back