Maternity leave in hair salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eloise86

Eloise86
Reaction score
Hi guys... posted in the chit chat and got no replies so posting on this forum. So I’m pregnant I’m due in July 18 and really worried about losing all my clients. I plan to have 3 months of and aim to do the odd keeping in touch days on a Saturday in between. Evenings and Saturdays are my busiest times. Constantly turning clients away for these appointments. (I currently can’t take on any new evening or Saturday clients as I struggle to fit the ones I already have in).
I don’t want to work every evening and miss out on bathtime bedtime and weekends as a family so thinking of going back 2 days in the week 10-7 then a Saturday off once a month. So worried I’m going to lose everyone from the time off. Worried my schedule is not going to fit in with theirs. The girl who rents a chair from me can’t cover as she has childcare issues in the school holidays therefore isn’t in much (therefore don’t get much money from that side of it) what have you guys done?

36 views and still not one reply, don’t think I’ll be giving my professional advice to anyone on here again. Seems to be lots of ppl wanting help but seems to be the same few ppl replying.... I’m sure lots of ppl have had babies and been on maternity and come back.

Hi it’s realky hard to advise in what to do I’ve had two children the first time I went back to work after 6 weeks three days a week I worked three Saturdays a month and two long days during the week, but second time round everything went completely upside down Because that child was completely different I planned to go back after 6 weeks but I physically couldn’t and I’m the end I never did go back, as for me been at home is where I need to be. I think you really need to just see what happens you don’t know what’s round the corner, you don’t know how you will feel after yes make a lose plan of what suits you and the baby, but the clients will work round you unfortunately you will lose clients but that’s not important as you can build back up but you will find that all your long term clients will work round you .
I hope that helps a bit but like I said every situation is so different just don’t push yourself too hard.

Thank you so much for the reply, I really value your advice, sadly giving up work isn’t really an option for me and my partner so I definitely need to work again, I just find it so hard to find weekday clients, every week I’m turning down more ppl for late evenings and weekends which I hate turning ppl down but then I don’t want to work every evening. As a hairdresser I always expected to work Saturdays but not every evening. People are supposed to have more flexibility at work now but no one seems to actually use it for hair appointments. Xx

Giving up working in a salon wasn’t really a option but we had to make that decision as it was what we need to do. It is amazing though when clients don’t have the option of the late evenings they tend to be more flexible you have to be firm with them and stick with you set hours, when you have a baby there needs change so quickly so you will find your hours will need to change again and again but just take one step at a time how far up to your due date do you plan to work??

Yes I’m not very good at being firm... and not knowing how things will go, feel so out of control. I’m due on 12/7/18, it really depends on how I feel, Baby could come early Or could come late... I don’t really know how to go about it? Xxxxx

With my first I worked up to four weeks before my second three weeks before I won’t lie it was hard but you just have to rest as much as you can when your not working. Before having kids I would work all hours but your priorities change and you automatically start been firm the clients who don’t understand have two choices the go with what you’ve got or they move on you will lose clients but you won’t need all the clients if your working less days anyway. I do remember it been really tough emotionally as you do spend years building up a client base but honestly it will be fine. Just take it all one step at a time.

I think I’m so used to bending over backwards for my clients and they’re used to me doing it... sometimes I feel like I’m not my own boss at all, they are... how do you go about your booking towards the end? did you book regular breaks? How do you know when to stop booking clients in? Like I say you don’t know when the babies coming xxxxx

Hey! So when I went on maternity leave I moved to the other end of the country and now actually work on a fruit and veg stall 9-4 3 weekdays and LOVE IT and do family’s and friends hair at home so I kinda get the best of both worlds.
I personally found that the long evenings and weekends were not something I could or wanted to do once I had a baby lily me you said, bath times bed times etc!
But anyway when I was at the salon when I started a few years ago one of the girls was on maternity leave and took the whole 9 months off. She did the odd bit of mobile at home but her clients got spread out between the other stylists and then when she returned they got out back in with her and when they realised she was back they asked for her again so everything was ok for her. I’m sure you will figure it all out. But as the other poster said, don’t change your hours or days to something that doesn’t suit YOU. Family is more important than pleasing people who wouldn’t do the same for you x

Hi! Yes so I don’t really have anyone to take on my clients while I’m off.... yes I’m sure it will all work itself out... it’s just so daunting. My wage is a necessity to the household so it will be hard xxxxx

Latest posts

Back