Maternity leave when you are the business owner?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllThumbs

Reaction score
i am starting my 4th month of pregnancy and i'm worried about how to upkeep my business while i take a few weeks maternity leave in February. Generally february is a slow month so i think i should be ok but i'd like to know about your expierences with pregnancy leave when you own your own business.
i am the only nail tech and i booth rent. I know that i will have to train my replacement, but how soon should i start training one? how do i know i can trust her? what kind of contracts should i write up about client privledges? should i pay her commission?
i'm so scared i will loose business even though i know my loyals will come back. i'm only planning two weeks out like i did with my first child, but i wasnt the owner back then. i'd like to find a tech trust worthy enough that i can come back only 2 days a week until my child is old enough for daycare, and she can work the other 3. im not sure how that will work though as my shop owner i booth rent from isn't keen on me having someone else in here. but i see it as a must have...
opinions? expierences?

BUMP: common ladies i need help :(

Sorry, read it but not an area I know much about.

Will bump it again. Hopefully there is someone out there can help you xx

Am afraid i will be no better..

i am in my 33rd week so not much longer for me to go lol.. congrats btw to you too xxxxx

as i work for myself only i stopped mobile service 2 months ago because of my back and some pregancy probs.. so am working from home..

Maybe you could take someone on now to help you out and then you can get to know them before you go on maternity etc..

hth

Sarah x

Hi,
Cograts on the baby.
What do you do when you want to take a holiday?
Do you have someone in then? Or do you just not take time off?
Do you have any nail tech friends that could just do a few days for you? Then tell clients that you will be running on less days for those few weeks.... Just a thought, I know I am not much help.
Best wishes
x x x x

There was a thread on this not long ago but I cant find it on my phone, will have a look... C

usually i dont take vacations and when i do i do them on my regular days off. I did search the forums but when i typed in maternity it gave me all kids of threads that werent even related. the search engine sucks.

i dont trust any of the local techs to either not screw my clients up or try to take them. competition is very fierce here. Alot of my clients refuse to see anyone else unless i'm like dying in the hospital and they have 6 gone and 2 broken lol.

i thought about cutting down to like 2 days but i know if i do then i'll be working 12 hours a day to make up for it and I'm going to try to breastfeed and i'm afraid it will screw up my pumping schedule. with my last child i couldnt breastfeed because of the super long hours at work not allowing for a pumping schedule.

Type in maternity leave into search engine an it will come up with a few threads,
There is one called 'advice on maternity' with a few pointers on there.
Sorry, I would post the thread link but can't do it on phone! Hope it helps x

Latest posts

Back