Matted Extensions???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmaejc23

Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering if any of you could help me. I applied a fullhead of microbond extensions to a lady last Wednesday but this morning she rang to tell me that they have become very matted and 2 have already fallen out. From what she has told me she isn't doing anything wrong apart from the fact that she washes her hair everyday. I have used the same brand of hair a number of times and this has never happened before, does anybody have any suggestions about what is causing the matting? I am going to see her tonight but I am at a loss:irked:

Many thanks
Emma.

probably washing her hair everyday i always tell them to wash their hair every few days.
maybe depends on type of hair. but i have extensions most of the time and i know if i washed it every day it would wear them out very quickly and if she isnt drying the hair properly it would get matted anyway.

and what they say may not be the exact truth as to what they have done..

Thanks for your help:), I will stress to her that she should only wash it every few days and dry it properly. I've put all this on the aftercare sheet but I think, as you say, she may not be following it properly hopefully this will do the trick.

Hi,
Just noticed the brand you use.... i've had a couple of bad wefts from them in the past....
For the most part the hair is fine - i put it down to being sent the cheaper chinese hair by mistake....

Try a reconstructor spray instead of a leave in conditoner?

tammy
x

i use cheap yaki hair in my hair and it still doesnt get matted within a few days it still last me about 7-8 weeks.

its not always the hair but how its looked after

No it's not always the hair - but with the lower end hair faults do frequently occur.

That's often the case with yaki - i agree - you don't always have to spend a lot of money on it (but if you do it's lasts for years)
But the structure is completely different to "silky straight" and with such processed hair someimes it doesn't matter how much you look after it.

I've seen I&K matt within a week so badly it had to be removed.

And that wasn't down to the client not adhereing to the after care because it was me who was wearing them.....

I used to use additional lengths a few years ago for SBS but the quality wasn't consistent enough.

mmmm thats what is worrying me, i have noticed recently that the quality of the hair isn't as good as it used to be - I just hope I don't have to remove and replace the extensions :irked:

i was thinking about using them last week as it happens..

i had a customer who had matting and within a few days and we use remy hair in our salon....it was my first case and if it happened a second time id consider changing suppliers.

quick matting usually happens if the hair isn't root/ point correct.

Hi, yes it sounds like turned processed hair , as Persianista says it's not root to point correct !
this would be my diagnosis too :) you need virgin unprocessed hair, then you will have no more problems

as with everything else it is more expensive but is fully re usable ,
unfortunately clients want the cheapest best looking hair they see and you can tell them till you are blue in the face
about how it can matt and tangle at a later date but unfortunately it doesn't deter them , they see it and want it because it looks ok ......
but it isn't ....
once that silicone coating wears off .....
then the hairs that are the wrong way round rub up and interlock against each other ends up like back combed hair and very matted and impossible to comb out ,

hth :) x minky

Last edited:
it will be the washing of the hair everyday thats done it, definately :)

Latest posts

Back