Messy wedding updo thoughts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaliw

Reaction score
Hi!
I have a client who wants this updo done in May for her wedding. The problem is not that it is particularly difficult, but it makes me uneasy that it's so messy- which is what she wants and pretty, I agree. Just wanted to hear some of your thoughts on messy updos- do you like to do them? Do you feel It is easy to make them look the same the second time? Do you do a lot of prepping or do you skip it?

I'm thinking I'll curl it softly with a flat iron, use volume spray and light hairspray to get texture and a bit of fluff. And be carefull not to tease too much.

Would love to hear any ideas and experiences you have:)

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Wow I'm not a hairdresser but that looks like my hair on a day when I've not bothered to do much to it lol each to their own I suppose, hope someone can help

I personally really like the messy up do look. I think it's become very popular. I do lots of weddings and that seems to be what people want.

I do struggle with messy up dos as naturally I am a neat methodical person who likes symmetry.

Over the years I've learnt to put less thought into it and less effort and somehow end up with what I'd like to achieve!!

I would ask for freshly washed naturally dried hair. I'd use bumble and bumble prep spray then use a thick wand. Depending on length of hair id take very large sections as its not a curl exactly you need you just want a bit of texture and movement.

I'd back comb the crown for some body leaving the top layer to fall over softly and naturally for that look.

Also the only think I ask is her hair blonde? I only ask because before now I've been shown lots of pictures of blonde hair ups and the client then has dark hair. It's not a problem but you don't get the whole effect in my opinion as blonde you can see every aspect of it unlike on dark. Sometimes a style can get a bit lost if that makes sense?

I always find the more you mess and tweek a messy updo the more it doesn't look how you want it to and it looks to worked on!

But like @Mands said you see more detail with blondes than Browns which is a shame!

That's what's in now. The secret to making it look good is orderly messy if that makes sense. It's as easy (or hard) to replicate as any design. I'd use a 2 inch curling wand if the hair is long as the weight will pull it in to the waves. Back combed crown. Basically what Mands said

Dry shampoo
Loosely curl or hot rollers
Seperate hair with fingers and use volume powder / texture spray
Lightly tease
Rake bake into bun using fingers to keep it organic looking
Create bun
"Blossom" hair massage pieces between fingers gently pulling and loosening for the messy look

Thank you so much for all your replies! I really appreciate it! I agree with you @Mands , I'm more of a methodical and neat updo kinda hairdresser. But only because thats what I normally do. And it is cute:) @hairgaga great tip with the dry shampoo! Thanks!
I will practice, and see if I remember to post a photo after she comes in to try it in April.

Looks great in a photo shoot....BUT......on the day, will the guests be saying.......
"You'd of thought she'd of stretched to getting a professional to do her hair......":oops:

Latest posts

Back