Micro bond extensions roots matting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophie<3

Reaction score
Hiya :) I went to a salon & had micro bond extensions fitted about 6/7 weeks ago. It's good quality Mongolian hair & I am pleased with it but occasionally when I wear it up it gets a bit itchy & where I've scratched the roots of my own hair have matted on some bonds. Has any one else had this problem? I'm a bit worried it's damaged my hair. Sorry for the bad pic I had difficulty trying to take a pic myself lol x ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1384618731.099760.jpg

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi there,

Itching is generally a sign of an aftercare issue, like not rinsing properly, it itches like mad. It can also be a sign of needing to be washed.

Do you separate your bonds regularly? What shampoo and conditioner/products are you using?

I always comb it through in the morning and before I go to bed, the actual extensions are fine just the roots of my hair where the bonds are attached & it's only when I put it up that it itches :-/ I use their own brand of shampoo & conditioner they tell u to use , I'm looking for alternatives though as they're quite expensive & I use them up quite quickly x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

They might be too close to the scalp or not positioned correctly, that might explain why it only happens when you put your hair up, you might have some little hairs pulling which is making it itchy x

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but once hair extensions get into this condition, the only thing you can really do to fix the problem is have the matted sections removed and replaced. It is very difficult to remove this kind of matting whilst the extensions are in, and the problem is only likely to get worse which will result in the becoming more and more difficult to remove.

We would recommend you contact the person who fitted these to discuss removal and also to make them aware of the problem.

There are lots of things that can cause hair extensions to matt in this way, and we have a blog on this topic that you might find helpful http://www.simplyhair.co.uk/hair-extensions-matt/

Kind Regards

Last edited:
It's really important to get in with your fingers and separate all the bonds every day to prevent matting - even twice a day if you can. Brushing alone won't stop matting.

The other person it right too, once it's matted there's not really any going back. Have them taken out and redone.

Did the person fitting give you full aftercare info? Separating is a key part and should be there :)

This is absolutely correct, separating the bonds is essential in the daily after-care for your extensions. Any opportunity you get, be it in the morning/evening, or simply sitting watching tv, take the time to put your fingers through the extensions, feeling every single bond to make sure they are all sitting separately. This may sound time consuming, but only takes a few minutes, and will help to avoid the above happening again once they have been corrected.

Kind Regards

A lot of matting can be caused by the way you wash your hair also. Never scrub the roots apply your shampoo as you would a conditioner in a stroke rather than a scrub. Also ive found sleeping on a silk pillow case as apose to a cotton one can help. As above once the matting is like this its best to have removed and re fitted as trying to remove it whilst still in can cause hair loss and bald patches

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you for your help, They are due to be re fitted around about now any way , 3 of the bonds have come out as well so will have to get her to sort it x

Thank you for your help, They are due to be re fitted around about now any way , 3 of the bonds have come out as well so will have to get her to sort it x

You should get about 12 weeks out of micro rings - 3 bonds is not a bad amount to lose though I will say that.

Next time you have them fitted, ensure that you separate the bonds very regularly. I would also suggest that you rinse shampoo REALLY well. Try not to scratch too much too as that will pull at your bonds when you pull in between them etc.

You should get about 12 weeks out of micro rings - 3 bonds is not a bad amount to lose though I will say that.

Next time you have them fitted, ensure that you separate the bonds very regularly. I would also suggest that you rinse shampoo REALLY well. Try not to scratch too much too as that will pull at your bonds when you pull in between them etc.

Ok will do thanks xx

Latest posts

Back