Migraines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmalou061987

Reaction score
Anyone suffer from migraines? When I was a kid I suffered with headaches which were quite bad but always worse during pe and would be "migraines" so I could sleep in the nurses office lol! But then they faded and only got headaches now and again! When I was 19 I got a horrific headache that made me feel sick, dizzy and had to sleep it off... It was after a traumatic and stressful day! The only other time I have felt this bad was from the sun while in Egypt but we put it down to sun stroke! Well yesterday other than wanting to kill me fella there was nothing stressful going on. I went to help a friend move, started with a headache on the way home which ended in the worst migraine I have had to date! This morning I still feel twinges! I ain't done ought different other than went on a sun shower ready for my holiday! Can this cause it? And how do you calm these things down? Trying to take care of my daughter yesterday was impossible! Ended up in bed with my sickness bands, anti sickness tablets, ice on my head at 7:30 wishing I would just fall a sleep!

Yeah, I get menstrual migraines. Some months are worse than others, at the very least I get a bad headache every month! 😕 Doc gave me some Sumatriptan last time which, if you take it soon enough, is supposed to stop it turning bad. Didn't work, though, just made me feel even more nauseous. I usually end up going to bed with an eye mask to block out the light and a heated wheat bag. I find that is pretty much the only think that helps. Big hugs, Hun, I feel your pain. Hope you get sorted soon. xx

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

My Nan suffers with them. No medication has ever helped her either! I am traveling tomorrow for 5 hours with the kids and big kid! Hope it has completely cleared by then cos I get travel sickness so it will be a horrible journey

Sumatriptan worked for me.
I got divorced and the migraines stopped. At the same time I controlled my blood pressure so I'm assuming stress is a trigger.

Sumatriptan is my lafe saver! I never leave the house without it! My migraines started at puberty then disappeared.....until I was pregnant has one major migraine attack, couldn't talk, tell the time and went numb down my right side......maternity consultant suspected a stroke so in hospital for nearly a week!!

Now symptoms are almost always the same: start with an aura (funny dots in your vision) then pins and needles all over including my teeth!! (Very weird sensation) leading to numbness in limbs then blinding pain behind one or both eyes!! As soon as I feel one coming on I take a Sumatriptan and 9 times out of 10 it stops them (works by stopping blood vessels in brain swelling therefore putting pressure on brain causing migraine)
Of course they have thier own side effects but would rather put up with them for a few hours than a migraine lasting nearly a week!!

It's been a long process to get to a treatment that works for me, have been on countless meds both preventative and reactivate but be patient and try ALL the options! I even tried acupuncture :-/

The worst thing is when people say "but it's just a headache" they have no idea!!!

Sorry for the essay!!! xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sumatriptan is my lafe saver! I never leave the house without it! My migraines started at puberty then disappeared.....until I was pregnant has one major migraine attack, couldn't talk, tell the time and went numb down my right side......maternity consultant suspected a stroke so in hospital for nearly a week!!

Now symptoms are almost always the same: start with an aura (funny dots in your vision) then pins and needles all over including my teeth!! (Very weird sensation) leading to numbness in limbs then blinding pain behind one or both eyes!! As soon as I feel one coming on I take a Sumatriptan and 9 times out of 10 it stops them (works by stopping blood vessels in brain swelling therefore putting pressure on brain causing migraine)
Of course they have thier own side effects but would rather put up with them for a few hours than a migraine lasting nearly a week!!

It's been a long process to get to a treatment that works for me, have been on countless meds both preventative and reactivate but be patient and try ALL the options! I even tried acupuncture :-/

The worst thing is when people say "but it's just a headache" they have no idea!!!

Sorry for the essay!!! xxx

Agreed! I think this is my punishment for calling all those headache migraines to get out of PE lol. Luckily they are very rare that I get them but wow it hurts! I thought it was stress that brought mine on but dunno now! Maybe it's worry/panic that is bringing them on! Still feeling off it! Don't help that my daughter is wanting to watch Raa Raa the noisiest programme ever!

Agreed! I think this is my punishment for calling all those headache migraines to get out of PE lol. Luckily they are very rare that I get them but wow it hurts! I thought it was stress that brought mine on but dunno now! Maybe it's worry/panic that is bringing them on! Still feeling off it! Don't help that my daughter is wanting to watch Raa Raa the noisiest programme ever!

Hehehe you don't realise till you have one how bad they are!

From my time in the neurology dept lol there are many "triggers" hormones, stress, anxiety, light even certain foods!!!

Good that you don't get them too often, but if they do start getting more often go see your GP, they can defiantly help xxxx

Hehehe you don't realise till you have one how bad they are!

From my time in the neurology dept lol there are many "triggers" hormones, stress, anxiety, light even certain foods!!!

Good that you don't get them too often, but if they do start getting more often go see your GP, they can defiantly help xxxx

Cheers! Men seems to be my common connection so far! Men being knobheads!! Lol avoid all men

I've had them for more than 20 yrs... :-(

They run in the family as my mum, brother & sister had them too.

I'm on Almagran from the GP and take it together with some ibuprofen when I feel one coming on. The symptoms are completely different to a headache so I can tell when a migraine attack is about to start.

Definitely drink lots of tepid (not cold) water when you feel one starting as this does seems to help.

Don't shoot me but have you ever tried complimentary therapy for migraines? Like reflexology? Would def help.

Sumatriptan worked for me.
I got divorced and the migraines stopped. At the same time I controlled my blood pressure so I'm assuming stress is a trigger.

I'm thinking I left it too long before I took it. It just made me feel really sick, when I get nausea anyway. It was just horrid. Thing is, sounds stupid, but I never really know if it's going to turn into a migraine until it's too late. My headache starts, I just put up with it hoping it will go, then it gets worse, the nausea sets in and that's it, I'm in bed. Once the nausea starts, it's probably too late to take it.
Do you have any other signs that a migraine is on it's way?

I'm thinking I left it too long before I took it. It just made me feel really sick, when I get nausea anyway. It was just horrid. Thing is, sounds stupid, but I never really know if it's going to turn into a migraine until it's too late. My headache starts, I just put up with it hoping it will go, then it gets worse, the nausea sets in and that's it, I'm in bed. Once the nausea starts, it's probably too late to take it.
Do you have any other signs that a migraine is on it's way?

Like most things it won't suit everyone

I'm lucky in the sense that I don't get nausea, probably the only symptom I don't get. I was on preventative meds before the sumatriptan which worked as I never got one, but I didn't like the dry mouth they gave me, but again could be different for you.

With my migraine I get the symptoms 1st then the pain whereas you get the pain 1st

If I have a headache that co-codamol doesn't get rid of I then take a sumatriptan....just in case!!!

I would go back to your GP and discuss a management plan.....I had to keep a food diary and everything before they diagnosed mine as hormone related xxxx

Like most things it won't suit everyone

I'm lucky in the sense that I don't get nausea, probably the only symptom I don't get. I was on preventative meds before the sumatriptan which worked as I never got one, but I didn't like the dry mouth they gave me, but again could be different for you.

With my migraine I get the symptoms 1st then the pain whereas you get the pain 1st

If I have a headache that co-codamol doesn't get rid of I then take a sumatriptan....just in case!!!

I would go back to your GP and discuss a management plan.....I had to keep a food diary and everything before they diagnosed mine as hormone related xxxx

Yeah, I should go back really but I just tend to put up with stuff. I hate taking painkillers and to be honest, most of them never work on me anyway, even ones from the docs. I wasn't asked to keep a food diary or anything like that, they said it was hormonal as I don't tend to get them other than around the time of my period.
For me the nausea is the worst. When it starts, I get like knots in my neck and pain from my temple down my neck to my shoulders. Then I get circles of light coming from behind my eyes and going off into the distance. Only then does it start to subside.
Seems to run in the family too, with both my mum and my grandma both having them.
Mental note now made to get it sorted! 😊

Don't shoot me but have you ever tried complimentary therapy for migraines? Like reflexology? Would def help.

Like that idea! xx

My Nan suffers with them. No medication has ever helped her either! I am traveling tomorrow for 5 hours with the kids and big kid! Hope it has completely cleared by then cos I get travel sickness so it will be a horrible journey

Awwww. Hope you feel better soon. xx

Yeah, I should go back really but I just tend to put up with stuff. I hate taking painkillers and to be honest, most of them never work on me anyway, even ones from the docs. I wasn't asked to keep a food diary or anything like that, they said it was hormonal as I don't tend to get them other than around the time of my period.
For me the nausea is the worst. When it starts, I get like knots in my neck and pain from my temple down my neck to my shoulders. Then I get circles of light coming from behind my eyes and going off into the distance. Only then does it start to subside.
Seems to run in the family too, with both my mum and my grandma both having them.
Mental note now made to get it sorted! 😊

I ended up with a neurology referral with the GP sorting out the management plan....I'll take anything lol, I take 3 co-codamol for a headache! 1 can floor some people lol!

Have you tried ginger or peppermint tea, worked with my nausea while pregnant? xxx

I ended up with a neurology referral with the GP sorting out the management plan....I'll take anything lol, I take 3 co-codamol for a headache! 1 can floor some people lol!

Have you tried ginger or peppermint tea, worked with my nausea while pregnant? xxx

Wow! A neurology referral, sounds pretty scary! Hope they managed to get you sorted.
Will try the tea!
Thanks for your advice. This is something I've never really talked to anyone about. Most people think your just being over dramatic!
I should really keep a diary of dates and things to see if there's a pattern. Will definitely be going back to the docs! Good luck with yours. xx

Wow! A neurology referral, sounds pretty scary! Hope they managed to get you sorted.
Will try the tea!
Thanks for your advice. This is something I've never really talked to anyone about. Most people think your just being over dramatic!
I should really keep a diary of dates and things to see if there's a pattern. Will definitely be going back to the docs! Good luck with yours. xx

Yep after the "stroke" incident!!! Anything is worth a try.

I think only other Migraine sufferers can understand xx

It took ages and the process was sped up for me with being in hospital but the GP has been amazing, hope they get you sorted soon.

Also there is lots of online help/migraine forums to help you keep track of what could be your triggers but keeping a diary including what you've eaten/done that day will help the GP identify anything

I'd also record what treatments you've carried out in the days before you have one, just in case?!?!

You can always pm me if you want xx

Good luck xxx

I've been suffering with migraines for years, on and off. I don't know it's a migraine until it feels like I've been repeatedly kicked, then my speech and vision goes. Luckily I feel sick but *touch wood* never sick. I just get into bed with the telly on but the screen off. Takes attention away from the banging going on in my head.

I've just been out on propranolol, I think it's to early to see if it works. Imigran makes me feel like I'm on a helter skelter whilst on a boat in a storm, but at least the headache is manageable!

Mine is caused by stress and fizzy drinks, although the doctors think it's hormonal.

Does anyone else get a headache hangover? Feeling drained, weak and mentally exhausted for ages after?x

Latest posts

Back