Mineral oil??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artsy Canadian

Reaction score
Just curious about the supposed 'cautions' of mineral oil to acrylic or gel nail enhancements.....

I had a client ask me about it and she informed me that her old nail tech cautioned the use of mineral oil and any lotions containing mineral oil for after care as it would cause lifting.....

I know the majority of lifting problems are improper prep, product touching the skin, or the rare side effect of medications, so I don't believe for one second that a lotion of any kind used afterwards would cause lifting! But I'm curious as to why mineral oil in general is not good. I can honestly say I've never heard of this....

any thoughts??

I wouldnt causion against it but I wouldnt say use it either, it actually does the skin no good, as its not vegi/botanical based they simply wont pass thru the skin at all, there for are a waste of time IMO

I wouldn't caution against it but I wouldn't say use it either, it actually does the skin no good, as its not vegi/botanical based they simply wont pass through the skin at all, therefore are a waste of time IMO

Just to add to this point. Because the molecular structure of mineral oils is so large, the oil will sit on the top of the enhancement or skin and not moisturise it. If you want to keep enhancements supple, then mineral oil will not do it.

The use of mineral oil on skin actually dries it out. Feels OK when it is sitting on top of the skin ... it tricks you into thinking it is moisturising it, but it is not. Once the oil is removed the skin is drier than before you started using it.

As far as molecular structure goes, Botanical oils have been found to be the closest thing to the body's natural oils. Mineral Oils which are PETROLEUM based are best used in machinery in my opinion. :lol:

Thank so much for clearing that up for me too Geeg! For years, I have heard nail techs tell clients not to use the stuff because it causes problems, but we (yes, myself included) could never give a good explaination as to why. Then you look in lotions and hand creams, that sell in the drug stores and that always shows in the ingredients! It's sad when you sit and think about lotion and oil you put on, to make you nice and soft, but in truth, it makes you drier than when you started. Imagine some of the food we put in our bodies and what it's really doing! :eek:

Thanks everyone for clearing that up for me.....I thought it was a pretty bizarre claim. Glad I have this site for resources and opinions of others.

I usually caution clients against hand lotions that contain:
mineral oil, petrolatum, petroleum, vaseline
Which in essence, are all the same.

I find in winter months,people use hand cream more often. At the beginning of the winter, I'll see lifting on clients that don't usually lift.
Just about every time, it's due to a new hand cream containing the above ingredients.
So we discuss it again, they use their cuticle oil instead and
VOILA problem solved and very soft skin.

hth's

Not that this has much to do with anything at all but when I was a mechanic (Uncle from Only fools and hoarses moment, sorry) we were told to try and got get mineral oil on our hands, because, as geeg said it will leave the hands dry.

I know mineral oil for a car is probably a million times different and this is more than likely utter rubbish but, you know!

xxx

Latest posts

Back