Minimum wage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxx

Reaction score
i have been working in my current job for 11 months now and began with no experience, basic training and no client base. Now 11 months down the line i have my own client base (have some of their clients coming to me) been on training courses, have to stay behind in my own time to clean the nail bar after every shift and not get paid for it which can take up to 40 mins then including the time iv got to be in early to set up, worked on my own for 3 weeks while the owner and her mum who works there, went on holiday.

When i first started my boss told me that the wage was minimum wage £4.98 an hour and would go up with age and experience and that she agreed the wage wasnt good but as soon as a turned 21 it would be different thinking i was going to be 21 this year but i told her i was only going to be 20 so i asked if there was a chance the wage could go up between being 20-21 and she agreed but not as much as a 21yo would get and that i wouldnt find any nail bar or salon that payed more than minimum wage.

SO.. my question is,

is there any salon owners that agree with her or am i just getting taken for an idiot? i work in edinburgh and would be nice to know the average wage is.

thank yoouu :)

All my therapists are self employed and get 50 per cent of what they take regardless of age. However just got a 2o year old trainee nail tech on 8 per hour until she gets up to speed everyone is different I suppose. I hate paying badly as I Wd hate it happen to me but also every area is different too. Good luck

All my therapists are self employed and get 50 per cent of what they take regardless of age. However just got a 2o year old trainee nail tech on 8 per hour until she gets up to speed everyone is different I suppose. I hate paying badly as I Wd hate it happen to me but also every area is different too. Good luck
thanks Macoroni, i would be quite happy with £8 an hour!!!

we do very very well the the nail bar and are nearly always fully booked so i dont think she would miss a few extra pound a day! :-(

I tend to pay minimum wage but then top up with commission made on sales and clients.

As for being there early and staying late...that's par for the course in this industry IMO.

I personally wouldn't run a salon when the boss was off for £5 an hour. But that's just me. If I was the boss, I would either boost commission? Set targets or raise the hourly rate to reflect the increased responsibility. Check NMW as it changes as of 1st Oct and I know that the over 21 wage goes up.

i have been working in my current job for 11 months now and began with no experience, basic training and no client base. Now 11 months down the line i have my own client base (have some of their clients coming to me) been on training courses, have to stay behind in my own time to clean the nail bar after every shift and not get paid for it which can take up to 40 mins then including the time iv got to be in early to set up, worked on my own for 3 weeks while the owner and her mum who works there, went on holiday.

When i first started my boss told me that the wage was minimum wage £4.98 an hour and would go up with age and experience and that she agreed the wage wasnt good but as soon as a turned 21 it would be different thinking i was going to be 21 this year but i told her i was only going to be 20 so i asked if there was a chance the wage could go up between being 20-21 and she agreed but not as much as a 21yo would get and that i wouldnt find any nail bar or salon that payed more than minimum wage.

SO.. my question is,

is there any salon owners that agree with her or am i just getting taken for an idiot? i work in edinburgh and would be nice to know the average wage is.

thank yoouu :)

sorry but 4.98 is in my opinion a little like taking the p1ss (excuse my language) ... especially from someone working hard like you are and I do not see why age would matter?? Ask for a pay rise I say. x

Call her bluff and say you have been offered another job at £xx an hour! Just chat to her, explain your thoughts and you never know, she may have been planning on increasing your wage whilst she was on her hols. But no employer who pays only minimum wage will hang on to staff for long. X

sorry but 4.98 is in my opinion a little like taking the p1ss (excuse my language) ... especially from someone working hard like you are and I do not see why age would matter?? Ask for a pay rise I say. x
I dont see why age matters either, especially cause she thought i was going to be 21 so was going to give me a wage of a 21yo so she must think that i am worth paying £6.whatever?

Be patient you're still young have a look around other nail bars get your skills really up to speed then you can eventually ask for what you're worth either that salon another one or self employed xx

Call her bluff and say you have been offered another job at £xx an hour! Just chat to her, explain your thoughts and you never know, she may have been planning on increasing your wage whilst she was on her hols. But no employer who pays only minimum wage will hang on to staff for long. X
Kimmi101, i dont think she likes confrontation. i still have no contract or pay slips after 11 months and have just had my hours cut and a new girl has started to work with us.

i think if i was to say to her i found another job offering £xx she would just tell me to go :-(

Hang on - no payslips?? Ok, I get alarm bells ringing everytime I hear that!! You need to be making sure your tax and NI are actually being paid. Hopefully Im just overreacting and all is in order but you need to get it checked.

In terms of your wages, it seems like a very low wage or the amount of work you're putting in and I have to say I'd be concerned if she's cut your hours but brought in another therapist.

It might be worth taking a long term view of this though, are the investing in you as a therapist in terms of experience, products, training etc? If so, it might be worth sticking with it for a while and just having a chat with your boss about prospects, your hopes for your future career etc.

But I go back to my first point - make sure all is above board!!! I don't like people not giving out payslips :irked:

I tend to pay minimum wage but then top up with commission made on sales and clients.

As for being there early and staying late...that's par for the course in this industry IMO.

I personally wouldn't run a salon when the boss was off for £5 an hour. But that's just me. If I was the boss, I would either boost commission? Set targets or raise the hourly rate to reflect the increased responsibility. Check NMW as it changes as of 1st Oct and I know that the over 21 wage goes up.

I have checked online and the over 21 MW goes up to £6.19 from 1 October but the 18-20 stays the same at £4.98 x

Most of the Edinburgh Beauty jobs are advertised at minimum wage which personally i think is wrong. This woman is basing your pay on ur age but she should be basing it on ur skills and experience. She is just making sure she is adhering to the law but is paying u crap wages and you should be on more than £4.98ph.

Its worrying you dont have payslips, its the law and you are entitled to have your payslips so you know how much tax and N.I you are paying. It will only come back on you if you are not paying enough tax.

You should also be asking her why she has brought someone else on but cut your hours. Do you have a contract that states the hours you should be working? If you dont unfortunately there is nothing you can do about this which is why you need to have a contract to protect yourself from the day you start.

xx

Latest posts

Back