Mirena coil experiences?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanhead

Reaction score
I'm interested to know if any of you have ever had a mirena coil and what your experiences were before, during and after removal (if applicable)

I currently have the mirena, in some respects I love it but I am starting to doubt if its as great as I thought, I feel rubbish right now and wonder if the way I feel has been side effects of the mirena building gradually over the last 2 and a half years.

I got the mirena coil put in jan 2012 and have had nothing but bother since. It didn't work out for my mum or my aunt. My periods are all over the place, I can bleed for anything between 3 days- 2 weeks with anything between 2 days and 3 weeks break. No prior warning. I've recently been to my gp as I'd been bleeding during 'intimate times' with my hubby which never happened before I had it put in and he went to do a check and couldn't find the darn thing so was sent for a scan, to be told it is there in the right place. I'm waiting my appointment to have it removed and we are currently deciding which one of us is going to be sterilised :)

I'm pretty gutted it didn't work out for me, I believe for the ones it does work for, it's brilliant. A lot of my clients have them and swear by them. Xxx

Not my experience but my friends mum got pregnant on the mirena coil and that put me off as I was worried it wasn't effective. Might just be a fluke though!

I hopefully get it removed soon and can get back to normal, it sounds like you've been through the mill with it.
The doctors rave about it but when you look online most people have bad experiences while having it, you, your mum and aunt all having had bad experiences doesn't really give you much faith does it?

I was advised to have it as a form of treatment for endometriosis after all other treatments failed, it was fitted just over 2&1/2 years ago, the fitting was awful I suffered cervical shock and had to wait for a few hours before I was allowed to leave.
I haven't suffered with any bleeding since it was fitted, I feel very lucky about this!
During the first year I wasn't aware of any side effects then I started to suffer cramps similar to before I had the mirena and told my doctor who said that there was nothing more they could do.
I visited the doctor after Christmas as I was feeling really down and exhausted, blood tests were clear, went for a scan which found that I have a cyst on my left ovary (3cmx6cm)
I'm so confused as I suffer lots of symptoms daily which could be as a result of the cyst or a side effect of the mirena however I was surprised to find out that ovarian cysts are a side effect of the mirena.
About 2 years ago I totally lost my sex drive, it's still gone!
I also suffer migraines (that last up to a week) not even pain killers can help.
Period type pains, back ache, sore tender boobs, spots, fatigue, emotional, moody, weight gain, lack of appetite, forgetfulness, pain during and after sex and having a poo (to much info, sorry) and depression.
These didn't hit me suddenly but have crept in gradually over time, and some of it could be down to the endometriosis or cyst but all of these can also be down to the mirena.
Sorry for the over load! Xx

Are there hormones in the Mirena? x

I hopefully get it removed soon and can get back to normal, it sounds like you've been through the mill with it.
The doctors rave about it but when you look online most people have bad experiences while having it, you, your mum and aunt all having had bad experiences doesn't really give you much faith does it?

I was advised to have it as a form of treatment for endometriosis after all other treatments failed, it was fitted just over 2&1/2 years ago, the fitting was awful I suffered cervical shock and had to wait for a few hours before I was allowed to leave.
I haven't suffered with any bleeding since it was fitted, I feel very lucky about this!
During the first year I wasn't aware of any side effects then I started to suffer cramps similar to before I had the mirena and told my doctor who said that there was nothing more they could do.
I visited the doctor after Christmas as I was feeling really down and exhausted, blood tests were clear, went for a scan which found that I have a cyst on my left ovary (3cmx6cm)
I'm so confused as I suffer lots of symptoms daily which could be as a result of the cyst or a side effect of the mirena however I was surprised to find out that ovarian cysts are a side effect of the mirena.
About 2 years ago I totally lost my sex drive, it's still gone!
I also suffer migraines (that last up to a week) not even pain killers can help.
Period type pains, back ache, sore tender boobs, spots, fatigue, emotional, moody, weight gain, lack of appetite, forgetfulness, pain during and after sex and having a poo (to much info, sorry) and depression.
These didn't hit me suddenly but have crept in gradually over time, and some of it could be down to the endometriosis or cyst but all of these can also be down to the mirena.
Sorry for the over load! Xx

I'm quite shocked to read this..... I actually have most of these symptoms - not all of them. I had no idea it would be linked, I just thought I was working too hard and feeling the effects lol. Maybe it's linked to the coil, I never used to suffer from them.

I'm sorry to hear you have a cyst, hopefully having the coil removed will help all your other symptoms. Men really do have it so much easier than us women hehe xxxxx

Are there hormones in the Mirena? x

Yep there is. a much smaller dose than there is in the implant or injection though. and you can have another coil without the hormones, a copper one i think? not 100% sure if thats right lol xxx

Agreed, but lets face it what would the world be like if men had to go through what us women have to put up with?

I was planning on having the coil taken out at the end of the year to try for a baby but now I'm thinking it may be best to have it out ASAP. I am seeing my doctor on Wednesday to discuss what happens next (as I haven't seen him since the scan diagnosing the cyst) so I will see what he says I am conscious it could take my body a while to recover if its the coil causing the symptoms. X

Last edited:
Haha so true, certainly the stronger gender ;) yeah I'd give your body time to recover from any symptoms, just to be sure thats the cause. Your doctor will advise you best, least them you would still be able to try for a baby at the end of the year :) exciting for you (although I have 2 and am finished haha) xx

I have none at the mo, planning on trying after getting back from holiday in November, think ill push to have it out cos I'm doubting it now!
Thanks for your replies, much appreciated! Xx

I had the mirena put in after my youngest was born (5 yrs ago). From day 1 I had problems, my periods were unbelievably heavy & painful, and very iregular. I was back & forth to gp but they kept saying I needed to give it 12-18 months. I tried to persist, but after about 8 months I was still bleeding more days than I was clear (one month I was 18 days on!) so I demanded it was removed. I did loose almost 2 stone whilst I had it in (which is all back on now btw) but I think tht was purely because the damn thing made me feel so ill all the time, I just wasnt eating!
My personal advice would be to stay away! I had read the horror stories before, but never dreamt it would be as bad as it was!

Yep there is. a much smaller dose than there is in the implant or injection though. and you can have another coil without the hormones, a copper one i think? not 100% sure if thats right lol xxx

I have the Copper coil which has no hormone in. The Mirena coil had progestrogen (sp?)
I decided I wanted non hormone as I suffer terribly with headaches.
My friend has endo and had the Mirena fitted as the hormone stops "feeding" the endo.
Poor girl only had it in for a week and her body rejected it. She went into a kind of labour with excruciating cramps and burning sensation, an urge to push and it literally came out. She was so shaken by the experience and so disappointed. She really wanted it to work.

I've had no problem with mine. My periods stay regular although they're slightly heavier than they use to be but I do t know whether that's to do with coil or since having my son.

Sounds like having it removed would be a good idea. Have they said what they'll do bout the cyst?

I think it must be the hormones in the Mirena that cause all these side effects?

I got pregnant on it twice

I have the Copper coil which has no hormone in. The Mirena coil had progestrogen (sp?)
I decided I wanted non hormone as I suffer terribly with headaches.
My friend has endo and had the Mirena fitted as the hormone stops "feeding" the endo.
Poor girl only had it in for a week and her body rejected it. She went into a kind of labour with excruciating cramps and burning sensation, an urge to push and it literally came out. She was so shaken by the experience and so disappointed. She really wanted it to work.

I've had no problem with mine. My periods stay regular although they're slightly heavier than they use to be but I do t know whether that's to do with coil or since having my son.

Sounds like having it removed would be a good idea. Have they said what they'll do bout the cyst?

I'm seeing my doc on Wednesday morning, I don't really want more surgery but I think it could be an idea to have the mirena removed and have them operate to remove and any possible endometriosis (as they think I may have had some endo spots grow) then I would hopefully be clear of any known complications before trying for a baby.

Thanks for the response, as I feared so far more negative than positive, this is the general trend you see online.
On the upside, glad all has been good with you! X

Well where do I start. I had the Mirena Coil fitted in Aug 2010. I had been experiencing exceptionally heavy periods. They were regular enough, just really heavy. I was flooding etc and wanted it to stop. I was a 38 year old woman with 2 teenage kids so had decided a hysterectomy would be good. I was talked out of it at the hospital. This was where I first heard of this damn Mirena Coil. In theory it sounded good so I went for it. WELL, to cut a long story short I bled constantly for 12 months. Not heavy, but enough to be a real pain in the butt. I kept speaking to my GP about it and kept being told that it can take a good few months to settle down. 12 months passed and it started to tail off slightly. Think I might have had about 7 or 8 months of normal bleeding, however I started to notice all of the following - weight gain, mood swings, depression, fatigue, migraines, complete loss of any sex drive and eventually I realised all I was doing was sleeping, working or sitting on my backside with no motivation to do anything. I was happiest on my bum in front of the telly with my jammies on. I then came across a forum about this coil, and decided it must have something to do with how I'm feeling. The constant bleeding returned so I made an appointment with GP who referred me back to gynaecologist at the hospital. It was decided they would remove it and I would get the novasure ablation done. I was so looking forward to feeling better. I got the Mirena Coil removed on 10/4/13. Unfortunately they couldn't do the novasure ablation (not suited to everyone) so I left the hospital back at square one. I bled really heavy again then I was given Tranexamic Acid tablets from my GP. They eventually stopped the bleeding. Since having it removed, my emotions have been all over the place. I'm exceptionally teary at the moment, but by reading the forums I'm quite convinced that this will pass. They call it the "Mirena Crash" that you can experience when it's removed. I have been really shattered with the amount of blood I've lost over the last 3 weeks, but again I'm hoping that passes now that the bleeding has tailed off. I'm back at the hospital in July to see where I go from here. 😊

I'm seeing my doc on Wednesday morning, I don't really want more surgery but I think it could be an idea to have the mirena removed and have them operate to remove and any possible endometriosis (as they think I may have had some endo spots grow) then I would hopefully be clear of any known complications before trying for a baby.

Thanks for the response, as I feared so far more negative than positive, this is the general trend you see online.
On the upside, glad all has been good with you! X

Fingers crossed for you. Said friend had to have it all lasered away so she could conceive, which she did, had a little boy, then fell again when her son was 8 months old!
Her little girl is now 1 but she's now covered in it again but she has her babies and hopefully you will too. Let us know how it goes Wednesday x

Well where do I start. I had the Mirena Coil fitted in Aug 2010. I had been experiencing exceptionally heavy periods. They were regular enough, just really heavy. I was flooding etc and wanted it to stop. I was a 38 year old woman with 2 teenage kids so had decided a hysterectomy would be good. I was talked out of it at the hospital. This was where I first heard of this damn Mirena Coil. In theory it sounded good so I went for it. WELL, to cut a long story short I bled constantly for 12 months. Not heavy, but enough to be a real pain in the butt. I kept speaking to my GP about it and kept being told that it can take a good few months to settle down. 12 months passed and it started to tail off slightly. Think I might have had about 7 or 8 months of normal bleeding, however I started to notice all of the following - weight gain, mood swings, depression, fatigue, migraines, complete loss of any sex drive and eventually I realised all I was doing was sleeping, working or sitting on my backside with no motivation to do anything. I was happiest on my bum in front of the telly with my jammies on. I then came across a forum about this coil, and decided it must have something to do with how I'm feeling. The constant bleeding returned so I made an appointment with GP who referred me back to gynaecologist at the hospital. It was decided they would remove it and I would get the novasure ablation done. I was so looking forward to feeling better. I got the Mirena Coil removed on 10/4/13. Unfortunately they couldn't do the novasure ablation (not suited to everyone) so I left the hospital back at square one. I bled really heavy again then I was given Tranexamic Acid tablets from my GP. They eventually stopped the bleeding. Since having it removed, my emotions have been all over the place. I'm exceptionally teary at the moment, but by reading the forums I'm quite convinced that this will pass. They call it the "Mirena Crash" that you can experience when it's removed. I have been really shattered with the amount of blood I've lost over the last 3 weeks, but again I'm hoping that passes now that the bleeding has tailed off. I'm back at the hospital in July to see where I go from here. 😊

Bless you, I hope you feel better soon.
I can totally associate with being happiest sat on the sofa in comfies, I'm getting worse each day, I can cope with work but can't bring myself to even put a load of washing on, I feel so pathetic! X

Bless you, I hope you feel better soon.
I can totally associate with being happiest sat on the sofa in comfies, I'm getting worse each day, I can cope with work but can't bring myself to even put a load of washing on, I feel so pathetic! X

That's me too. It's only been a few weeks since having it removed and I'm slowly starting to feel bit better. I'm hoping as more time goes by I'll get back to my old self. Keep ur chin up xx

Latest posts

Back