Mirena coil experiences?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fingers crossed for you. Said friend had to have it all lasered away so she could conceive, which she did, had a little boy, then fell again when her son was 8 months old!
Her little girl is now 1 but she's now covered in it again but she has her babies and hopefully you will too. Let us know how it goes Wednesday x

Will do!
Glad your friend was able to have a family, I am very open minded to the possibilities of complications trying to conceive but hopefully I'll be fine.
I'm not saying hysterectomies are something to be taken lightly but I can't help thinking I'd rather have it all removed when I have a family. X

That's me too. It's only been a few weeks since having it removed and I'm slowly starting to feel bit better. I'm hoping as more time goes by I'll get back to my old self. Keep ur chin up xx

I'm glad your starting to feel better, and hopefully you'll be back to normal very soon!
Xx

Hello, it's awful to hear all these experiences. I had the copper coil fitted about 14 months ago and had it took out Two months ago. It never settled and I would have really heavy period that would last about 9 days. I always had cramps and bleeding and just felt terrible in general. It was so easy to take out, just a few minutes and I honestly felt instantly better.
I have also tried so many pills and I always end up feeling really low and tired :( I'm 30 now and I have decided to just be natural and let my body rest. I did just recently try a new pill here in Australia and it has been the best yet, but that tired moody feeling has recently started creeping up on me so I've decided not to continue.
I hope all you girls find something suitable xx

I'm glad your starting to feel better, and hopefully you'll be back to normal very soon!
Xx

Thank you, I hope so. I hope you get on ok at the Docs on Wed. Keep us posted xxx

I had the mirena coil fitted after having my first child, then decided to try for 2nd but they couldn't remove it properly so I had it 'cut' out.
Found out it was because I had endometriosis and this made it worse they said.
Had a terrible 2nd pregnancy, and had every treatment in the book for it, ending in hysterectomy at 29!
I only had problems following this coil I had no symptoms prior.

My mum always said its a foreign body in a delicate place too risky

Hope you get sorted but I had a bad experience x

Im so sorry so many of you have had these troubles with the mirena.

I have it in for two years now, and have not suffered at all. No real changes to my brain or body except for no bleeding which is perfect.

I hope you all get healthy and happy soon

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I was really interested to read this thread!

I had one inserted last November and to begin with it was okay, although for the first six weeks I got some terrible right hand ovarian pains which eventually subsided.

Then, at the end of March, I started a period which didn't stop for a whole month. Because I was using pads, I got a terrible thrush infection which I couldn't get rid of. My husband and I hadn't been intimate for weeks as I just didn't care about anything, let alone sex!

My general mood hit the floor and I ended up in the GPs office asking to be put on antidepressants!

When the bleeding hit the four week mark, I took myself off to the bathroom and pulled the damn thing out myself.

The thrush cleared up but I was sore when urinating so on Saturday I ended up in A&E to find that I had a bladder infection.

I'm now on antibiotics and starting to feel better.

I know for some women the mirena is a godsend but as far as I'm concerned, it was the devil!

Never again! x

I went for a copper coil as I've had so many problems on the pill/implant. Did not want the hormones! I was in agony for 2 weeks after, my periods have been SO heavy, gushing even. It's finally started to settle down after 7 months but still feel so rubbish at time of mobth!

I had the mirena coil fitted after having my first child, then decided to try for 2nd but they couldn't remove it properly so I had it 'cut' out.
Found out it was because I had endometriosis and this made it worse they said.
Had a terrible 2nd pregnancy, and had every treatment in the book for it, ending in hysterectomy at 29!
I only had problems following this coil I had no symptoms prior.

My mum always said its a foreign body in a delicate place too risky

Hope you get sorted but I had a bad experience x

I'm so sorry to hear what a terrible time you've had!
My mum was very concerned about me having this for the same reasons your mum mentioned, I'd never tell mine but I guess mums do know best!
It's so sad that you had to have such an extreme procedure so young but I hope you have felt some benefits from it. Xx

I'm so sorry to hear what a terrible time you've had!
My mum was very concerned about me having this for the same reasons your mum mentioned, I'd never tell mine but I guess mums do know best!
It's so sad that you had to have such an extreme procedure so young but I hope you have felt some benefits from it. Xx

Yes mums do know best...
I'm certain it was the start of my problems.. I was fine prior to this.
Having a hysterectomy was the best thing ever! I had 3 children so was very lucky.
I'm 38 now and have hrt implant once a year it's fab, it's made my boobs a bit full and increased sex drive (had zero before) feel fab. Drastic but to be pain free is heaven as endometriosis for me was worse than childbirth.
Good luck and do what you feel is right for you xx

Im so sorry so many of you have had these troubles with the mirena.

I have it in for two years now, and have not suffered at all. No real changes to my brain or body except for no bleeding which is perfect.

I hope you all get healthy and happy soon

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I've been a huge fan of this coil until recently when I've unintentionally been coming across story's of other people's experiences and when they've mentioned side effects I've been thinking "yep, I get that, and that, and that" I've just been blaming the symptoms I've been having on other things.
I'm going to have mine out and while I'd like to think I'd feel better for it kind of don't want to feel like I've let myself walk around with something inside me that could of been making me feel so bad!
It is nice to hear you've not had any problems. Xx

I was really interested to read this thread!

I had one inserted last November and to begin with it was okay, although for the first six weeks I got some terrible right hand ovarian pains which eventually subsided.

Then, at the end of March, I started a period which didn't stop for a whole month. Because I was using pads, I got a terrible thrush infection which I couldn't get rid of. My husband and I hadn't been intimate for weeks as I just didn't care about anything, let alone sex!

My general mood hit the floor and I ended up in the GPs office asking to be put on antidepressants!

When the bleeding hit the four week mark, I took myself off to the bathroom and pulled the damn thing out myself.

The thrush cleared up but I was sore when urinating so on Saturday I ended up in A&E to find that I had a bladder infection.

I'm now on antibiotics and starting to feel better.

I know for some women the mirena is a godsend but as far as I'm concerned, it was the devil!

Never again! x

This sounds horrible, it sounds like it was only getting worse, I think having it removed was the best bet but I must say doing it yourself is mad!
Saying that though when you have something in your body and you don't want it there is very difficult to go around with it in, getting the dr to do it means waiting for an appointment and stuff and sometimes it's just too much!

I went for a copper coil as I've had so many problems on the pill/implant. Did not want the hormones! I was in agony for 2 weeks after, my periods have been SO heavy, gushing even. It's finally started to settle down after 7 months but still feel so rubbish at time of mobth!

I'd heard horror story's about the copper coil and thought the mirena would be great!
I completely get what your saying about not wanting the hormones, I've been on something hormone wise since I was about 13years old, I've had different types and opted for this as is has such a small amount compared to other things.
I'm thinking I should just give up trying to find a way of carrying on as normal and except what god has given me, thanks for that big man!

Yes mums do know best...
I'm certain it was the start of my problems.. I was fine prior to this.
Having a hysterectomy was the best thing ever! I had 3 children so was very lucky.
I'm 38 now and have hrt implant once a year it's fab, it's made my boobs a bit full and increased sex drive (had zero before) feel fab. Drastic but to be pain free is heaven as endometriosis for me was worse than childbirth.
Good luck and do what you feel is right for you xx

I'm glad that at least it wasn't all in vain and you have your kids too which must be such a blessing to you.
They have told me on numerous occasions that going through a pregnancy and childbirth can help endometriosis, yours obviously got worse with time but where you ever aware of a change in your symptoms after having any of your kids?
Your endometriosis was obviously very very bad, you must of been in agony, the dr use to prescribe me strong painkillers but they wouldn't touch it but I'd just try and carry on the best I could.
when I had surgery in the past they told me that I have problems with my cervix which meant that when I was having periods my uterus was having to contract to try and rid my body of the waste which would be painful, I've never been able to get along with tampons as I am normally to swollen.

Need some advice. I've had the mirena (hormone) cool for about 2 years now and the last couple months I have got constant spots. The big sore red lump ones under skin (papules)

I haven't change anything so I'm wondering if its the coil, have any of you ladies suffered with this??x

Last edited by a moderator:
My thread got moved on to this & now I've ticked all of your symptoms!!!! Get this thing out of my body!!!!

I've got the non hormone on but when I was on the pill, if get really bad spots as you mention on my back.
I still get them now when Aunt Flow comes to visit but not as bad.

My thread got moved on to this & now I've ticked all of your symptoms!!!! Get this thing out of my body!!!!

Yes I do get the spots like you mentioned, I'm not pickled in them but I get them here and there and they are very painful, since having the coil I've found I get spots around my chin area and around in my hairline in front of my ears also I get them on my back now, I'm not covered but had always had very clear skin before.

Sorry to hear your also having these symptoms, I'm glad you found the thread as now you know that you've obviously been having symptoms you weren't even aware you had.
I've had mine just over 2&1/2 years and had been feeling rubbish dr tested blood which was clear and sent me for a scan to see if I had poly cystic ovarian syndrome which fortunately I didn't but I do have a ovarian cyst, one that I would consider large.
I was feeling really ill over the weekend and in a lot of pain so looked up ovarian cysts online to see if it was possible that it was causing more discomfort than normal and I was shocked at some of what I found, it turns out that the mirena coil increases your chances of getting an ovarian cyst (this is on the mirena website) most women will have ovarian cysts in the life time and not even know it as the body will often get rid of them itself but the mirena increases the chances of getting cysts that will require medical treatment.
My symptoms have crept up on me slowly to a point where I now feel like an old lady and if I'm totally honest I've wondered if its been in my head a bit. Reading other people's experiences and side effects of having this reassures me that I do know my body and I should listen to it.
I hope you can get yours removed soon. Xx

Yes I do get the spots like you mentioned, I'm not pickled in them but I get them here and there and they are very painful, since having the coil I've found I get spots around my chin area and around in my hairline in front of my ears also I get them on my back now, I'm not covered but had always had very clear skin before.

Sorry to hear your also having these symptoms, I'm glad you found the thread as now you know that you've obviously been having symptoms you weren't even aware you had.
I've had mine just over 2&1/2 years and had been feeling rubbish dr tested blood which was clear and sent me for a scan to see if I had poly cystic ovarian syndrome which fortunately I didn't but I do have a ovarian cyst, one that I would consider large.
I was feeling really ill over the weekend and in a lot of pain so looked up ovarian cysts online to see if it was possible that it was causing more discomfort than normal and I was shocked at some of what I found, it turns out that the mirena coil increases your chances of getting an ovarian cyst (this is on the mirena website) most women will have ovarian cysts in the life time and not even know it as the body will often get rid of them itself but the mirena increases the chances of getting cysts that will require medical treatment.
My symptoms have crept up on me slowly to a point where I now feel like an old lady and if I'm totally honest I've wondered if its been in my head a bit. Reading other people's experiences and side effects of having this reassures me that I do know my body and I should listen to it.
I hope you can get yours removed soon. Xx

Round my hair line I get lots of little spots! Then massive ones in between eyebrows and on chin. I'm going to give doc a call and get it out. So glad I found this xx

This is a list of side effects i found online this tells you how common they are.
I personally have 2 out of 2 of the very common, 9 out of 12 of the common and at least 7 out of 9 of the uncommon side effects, I personally think that these figures aren't all that accurate or I'm very unfortunate!

Very common (affect more than 1 in 10 people)
Change in menstrual bleeding, such as spotting, lighter bleeding or stopping of bleeding.
Development of fluid filled sacks (cysts) in the ovaries.

Common (affect between 1 in 10 and 1 in 100 people)
Depression.
Nervousness.
Headache.
Decreased sex drive.
Abdominal pain.
Nausea.
Acne.
Back or pelvic pain.
Painful periods.
Breast pain or tenderness.
Vaginal inflammation or discharge.
Weight gain.

Uncommon (affect between 1 in 100 and 1 in 1000 people)
Mood changes.
Abdominal bloating.
Migraine.
Hair loss or hair growth.
Skin reactions such as rash or itching.
Pelvic inflammatory disease.
Inflammation of the womb.
Inflammation of the cervix.
Excessive fluid retention in the body tissues, resulting in swelling (oedema).

Rare (affect between 1 in 1000 and 1 in 10,000 people)
Perforation of the womb.
The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the medicine's manufacturer. For more information about any other possible risks associated with this medicine, please read the information provided with the medicine or consult your doctor or pharmacist.

Latest posts

Back