Mirena coil experiences?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I haven't had chance to read all of this thread but wanted to share my experience, I first had the copper coil as I was told it was the only form of contraception other than comdoms that doesn't contain hormones (I have more female hormones than usual and can't take the pill) I had it fitted and fainted but apart from that I had no problems what so ever for 5 years, regular light periods and hardly any pain! I had it taken out to have my daughter luckily I managed to conceive within 5 days of having it removed! I then had my daughter an exactly one year later went back to the docs to have a new coil fitted, however I was told that they no longer offer the copper coil and I would have to have a 10 year mirena coil. Fitting it this time was fine, again no problems, untill this year (3years in) I got pregnant on it which resulted in a miscarriage, it wasn't untill this happened that I started having problems with the coil, heavier periods, lasting longer than usual, spots, mood swings, weight gain, headaches, after reading some of your posts I now think this could be linked to the coil, I am going to make an appointment at the docs to get checked out I think.

Any news yet?
I'm due to have mine out next week on the 13th, nervous but intrigued to see what happens after. X

I had mine out 2 months ago. It doesnt hurt coming out. Had a few twinges but no more. I had a very heavy period 2 days after.
Also, just a pre warning. I had a full on phantom pregnancy after it was taken out lol

Hi I haven't had chance to read all of this thread but wanted to share my experience, I first had the copper coil as I was told it was the only form of contraception other than comdoms that doesn't contain hormones (I have more female hormones than usual and can't take the pill) I had it fitted and fainted but apart from that I had no problems what so ever for 5 years, regular light periods and hardly any pain! I had it taken out to have my daughter luckily I managed to conceive within 5 days of having it removed! I then had my daughter an exactly one year later went back to the docs to have a new coil fitted, however I was told that they no longer offer the copper coil and I would have to have a 10 year mirena coil. Fitting it this time was fine, again no problems, untill this year (3years in) I got pregnant on it which resulted in a miscarriage, it wasn't untill this happened that I started having problems with the coil, heavier periods, lasting longer than usual, spots, mood swings, weight gain, headaches, after reading some of your posts I now think this could be linked to the coil, I am going to make an appointment at the docs to get checked out I think.

Hopefully your doctor will be able to shed some light on your symptoms. I've never heard of a mirena lasting 10 years! X

I had mine out 2 months ago. It doesnt hurt coming out. Had a few twinges but no more. I had a very heavy period 2 days after.
Also, just a pre warning. I had a full on phantom pregnancy after it was taken out lol

Oh my, what was that like? My dog used to have phantom pregnancies which caused her to steal teddy bears so we got her a puppy sort toy which had similar colourings to hers and she would carry it around in her mouth everywhere, she was put down last month and we buried it with her! X

UPDATE:
I was due to have my coil taken out on Thursday (13th) but due to having to go to a family funeral in London (I'm in Devon) I had to cancel (after a 6-7 week wait) fortunately I was able to get another appointment for today, I have just got home from the doctors and I'm happy to say that it came out with out any problems, it was very quick and relatively painless. By the time I left the room the pains (from endometriosis) kicked in but I think if I didn't suffer with the endo I'd be fine.
I'm nervous to see how I cope with everything now but I'm hopeful that the side effects I was feeling will go away and I will return to my old self.
Hope all of you other lovely ladies are well. Xx

Hi,

Sorry I havnt posted sooner I have been so busy (3 jobs!!)

Had my mirena removed nearly three weeks ago and still not had a period. The removal was ok, hurt a little but only for a couple of seconds

Hi,

Sorry I havnt posted sooner I have been so busy (3 jobs!!)

Had my mirena removed nearly three weeks ago and still not had a period. The removal was ok, hurt a little but only for a couple of seconds

Have you noticed a difference in your side effects?
X

Have you noticed a difference in your side effects?
X

Yeh must admit I'm a bitch at the moment so moody. No pain which is a relief although I know I will have the mother of all periods when it finally comes. Don't feel as bloated. My sex drive is back to how it used to be lthough the oh wont come near me incase I get regnant lol

Yeh must admit I'm a bitch at the moment so moody. No pain which is a relief although I know I will have the mother of all periods when it finally comes. Don't feel as bloated. My sex drive is back to how it used to be lthough the oh wont come near me incase I get regnant lol

My sex drive has come back with a vengeance, thank god! Feeling a million times better than I've felt in ages but not going to put it down to having the coil out yet.

Oh my, what was that like? My dog used to have phantom pregnancies which caused her to steal teddy bears so we got her a puppy sort toy which had similar colourings to hers and she would carry it around in her mouth everywhere, she was put down last month and we buried it with her! X

I won't go into too much detail so i'll give you the watered down version lol. Nausea, bloatedness, sore breasts, strong cravings and crying at the grand national, amongst other things lol. Hormones were everywhere!

I won't go into too much detail so i'll give you the watered down version lol. Nausea, bloatedness, sore breasts, strong cravings and crying at the grand national, amongst other things lol. Hormones were everywhere!

I've been like that for the last 8 months, feeling better (more positive) already but open minded to the fact it could just be a coincidence. X

I had mirena coil fitted 3 years ago as I had very heavy periods which lasted ages and would sometimes come every two weeks. My life was just one big period!

It has been FANTASTIC. After 3 months of constant spotting (which was so much easier than the normal floods) my periods stopped. It has changed my life.

Just thought I'd give another side to the story.

I had mirena coil fitted 3 years ago as I had very heavy periods which lasted ages and would sometimes come every two weeks. My life was just one big period!

It has been FANTASTIC. After 3 months of constant spotting (which was so much easier than the normal floods) my periods stopped. It has changed my life.

Just thought I'd give another side to the story.

I loved the no period thing, such a relief not having to worry about monthly visits!

I had the mirena fitted last November to reduce really heavy periods. Until last month I would have a very light bleed for two days but last month I had a very light bleed for about two weeks. Have no pain though. Hopefully that it will go back to just two days again. Get loads of spots and thinking about it more after reading other people's symptoms, headaches too.
I was wondering if anyone has taken St. John's wort for the depression. I'm not concerned about contraception cus my husbands had the snip. I just don't want to get heavy periods again.

I've just remembered as well that I started taking those adios slimming tablets and after a week or so I had a bit of a bleed when I shouldn't have so I stopped taking them. Could the adios tablets have done this I wonder.

Sorry for lack of update ladies. I'm feeling horrendous. But got an appointment for the hospital on Tuesday morning. My mum is driving me there and back. Ill let you know how it goes. I'm just so snappy and angry just now it's horrible :-(

Sorry for lack of update ladies. I'm feeling horrendous. But got an appointment for the hospital on Tuesday morning. My mum is driving me there and back. Ill let you know how it goes. I'm just so snappy and angry just now it's horrible :-(

I hope it all goes well and your feeling better soon. Hugs. X

I had the mirena fitted last November to reduce really heavy periods. Until last month I would have a very light bleed for two days but last month I had a very light bleed for about two weeks. Have no pain though. Hopefully that it will go back to just two days again. Get loads of spots and thinking about it more after reading other people's symptoms, headaches too.
I was wondering if anyone has taken St. John's wort for the depression. I'm not concerned about contraception cus my husbands had the snip. I just don't want to get heavy periods again.

I've just remembered as well that I started taking those adios slimming tablets and after a week or so I had a bit of a bleed when I shouldn't have so I stopped taking them. Could the adios tablets have done this I wonder.

I know you've had it over 6 months but I think in some people it takes a bit longer to settle. If its doing the job you want (period control) then that's great. I've had depression in the past but never taken anything for it so can't shed any light on that I'm afraid. As far as the adios goes I really wouldn't know, I don't know much about it, it could be a coincidence. X

Hi, I was offerd the coil but I have heard bad things about it and that it is so uncomfortable. I have now opted for the implant as I have been told it isnt painfull to put in at all and I am looking for something long term (it's for 3 years)
I'm getting it fitted next week :)
Good luck with your choices xx

Hi, I was offerd the coil but I have heard bad things about it and that it is so uncomfortable. I have now opted for the implant as I have been told it isnt painfull to put in at all and I am looking for something long term (it's for 3 years)
I'm getting it fitted next week :)
Good luck with your choices xx

I think if your after a contraception alone then it's not really necessary to have a coil but many have it to help with period related problems, you will never find one thing that will work for everyone as we are all different so it's just a case of trial and error to find what we like. X

Hello all
Ive had my coil in since 2008 and I'm due to have it replaced in November. After a month or so of stomach cramps and tender boobs I have found it really good. I haven't gained weight and my periods have stopped. I would def have another although I'm really scared about being awake when this happens. I had it put in after an operation. It's worked really well and I forget I've got it in.

Latest posts

Back