Mirena coil

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkgirlie

Reaction score
Does anyone else have any probs with mood swings, that have this coil? X

Don't have it but heard it causes la variety of problems with people. But then what hormone doesn't? Sorry that was really useless but please if this is for you and you feel it's not right talk to your doctor. There are too many young people these days using the wrong contraception for them and thinking things are fine when they're not x

Don't have it but heard it causes la variety of problems with people. But then what hormone doesn't? Sorry that was really useless but please if this is for you and you feel it's not right talk to your doctor. There are too many young people these days using the wrong contraception for them and thinking things are fine when they're not x

I'm not that young at 36, but have started to wonder if my mood swings are due to this coil?? Guess I won't know until it's removed, that's why I'm asking for other peoples experiences before I head to docs! X

Hi, this is my first post :) I have a mirena and it gives me terrible moodswings too along with a few other things, unfortunatly its one of the many side affects, but if you feel that they are too much to cope with then id see your doctor and he should be able to give advise you on a different coil but as there are so many available its gunna be trial and error till you find one that suits you properly, but you will get there :) x

Sent from my E10i using SalonGeek

Hi, this is my first post :) I have a mirena and it gives me terrible moodswings too along with a few other things, unfortunatly its one of the many side affects, but if you feel that they are too much to cope with then id see your doctor and he should be able to give advise you on a different coil but as there are so many available its gunna be trial and error till you find one that suits you properly, but you will get there :) x

I think it's the people around me that suffer. I get so worked up over small things. It's only just dawned on me that it might be my coil. I've had it a yr and a half now x

I can be like that too, but usually I start being really funny with my husband for no reason what so ever, how he hasnt left me I will never know! if you never really had this before then I would say theres a strong chance it is your coil thats causing the problem, if youve had it a year an a half then youve given it a fair chance for the hormones to settle etc so the doctor should be willing to change it cuz they say to give it 6 months and if you still have the problems then to go and see the doctor again, ive only had mine since april and as soon as october comes im going back and im gunna get it changed, ill probably be divorced by christmas if not lol x

I can be like that too, but usually I start being really funny with my husband for no reason what so ever, how he hasnt left me I will never know! if you never really had this before then I would say theres a strong chance it is your coil thats causing the problem, if youve had it a year an a half then youve given it a fair chance for the hormones to settle etc so the doctor should be willing to change it cuz they say to give it 6 months and if you still have the problems then to go and see the doctor again, ive only had mine since april and as soon as october comes im going back and im gunna get it changed, ill probably be divorced by christmas if not lol x

What will you change to? X

I had a terrible time with the mirena coil my mood swings were unbearable mainly for others around me!
I had it removed after about 6months because I was constantly bleeding with large blood clots (sorry if that's tmi). I ended up hospitalised for 10 days, where they told me apparently you should only have the coil if you've had a child something to do with the size of the cervix.
Everytime I go to speak to my gp regarding contraception I feel like they overly push the coil (maybe because it lasts so long). I actually felt bullied into getting it and I'm sorry I did I should've done my research first.
My advice is if your not happy it's obviously not for you so have it removed. Do some research into other contraceptions you may need to try a few but eventually you'll find the one for you xxx

Ill more than likely have another coil but im not too sure which one, im probably gunna go with what he suggests once ive explained all the problems that im having with the mirena, i have thought about having the implant in my arm but im abit unsure about it, mainly because they have to make a small incision in your arm and im a big wuss x

Ill more than likely have another coil but im not too sure which one, im probably gunna go with what he suggests once ive explained all the problems that im having with the mirena, i have thought about having the implant in my arm but im abit unsure about it, mainly because they have to make a small incision in your arm and im a big wuss x

I have this mirena coil- been in 3 years now- have had no problems whatsoever. Periods lighter, almost negligible. No mood swings etc. My sister has it too- all good for her too. X

I have tried a few different things without much success until I tried the evra patch which seems to suit me well, could be worth a try as hassle and pain free! X

I think the implant is exactly the same as the mirena coil except it's in your arm. I have the copper coil, lasts 10 years and no hormones so ive had no side effects at all except for my periods being heavier but only lasting 2-3 days!

I've had a mirena coil for nearly a year now and it's the best thing I ever did.
I have no children, the mirena is fine for people who haven't had children. as with all contraception it's gunna have possible side effects and not everything suits everybody.
I don't have any friends that have had it but I do know a lot of people that have had the implant most of which have suffered with many of the symptoms.
I've had years of problems with periods etc, I was on the pill at 13 to help with pain, I've had 2 ops, been prescribed very strong pain killers and hormones but nothing had ever helped until I had the mirena.
My consultant wanted me to try it but I wasn't sure, the chances of side effects are much smaller as the hormones are released where they are most needed whereas other methods involve the hormones having to travel through the blood stream (higher doses of hormones to ensure effectiveness)
I'm not going to lie with all the poking and prodding around I've had this was by far the worst, during the fitting I went into cervical shock, once over it took about two days for the pain to ease completely and all was settled in a week.
I swore I wouldn't ever go though that again but it's made such a huge difference to me, I've not had a period since it was fitted, I was depressed but now I have no periods I'm not being held back and I've got over it, I am just trying to get my figure back (after putting on weight due to medication) slowly rebuilding my confidence and spending time with my friends again.
I love it and would have it again tomorrow if I needed to but luckily I've got 4 years left.
I'm sorry to hear that you have not got on with the mirena, it does sound like you may benefit from a different type of contraception.
Sorry for going on so much about this but I love it and wanted to put a different opinion into the thread as when I researched it I found many negative comments and few positives, for me it was my last option as I'd exhausted all other avenues and seeing so many negative comments made me really worried about having it.
I hope you find something that better suits you soon.
Xxx

I have tried a few different things without much success until I tried the evra patch which seems to suit me well, could be worth a try as hassle and pain free! X

I would so love to be on the patch but for some strange reason my doctors don't offer it :-(. I was on a particular combined pill for about 2yrs but have just been taken off of it as the massive changes in oestrogen levels was causing me the most excruciating migraines. They put me on a progesterone only pill about 6 weeks ago and I haven't had a single migraine but I have been such a cow since, my poor boyfriend doesn't know if he's coming or going! He gave me a cuddle yesterday and I started sobbing for absolutely no reason - I swear he thinks I've lost the plot lol.

Wouldn't it be great if we all found the perfect contraception without having to go through all the ones that don't agree with us!

Wouldn't it be great if we all found the perfect contraception without having to go through all the ones that don't agree with us!

Yes!! I was on dianet (sp) for ages with migraines that lasted over a week, headaches all the time. My bright spark of a doctor told me to keep a headache diary for 3 months?! Needless to say I left the surgery went elsewhere where they wouldnt change my pill then finally saw my consultant who said if I ever needed the pill she'd write me a prescription so now I'm on Yasmin and have had no problems since :) a lot of the time the doctors won't listen to you even though you're the one who knows your own body...x

I have this coil and have had it for 2 years and it really is the best thing ever. My periods stopped completely which obviously is great!!! I don't find my mood swings any worse than how I used to get with monthly pmt so for me it's perfect xx

I have the copper coil, for the simple fact that I don't like the idea of artificial hormones being put into my body, would never have the implant or the mirena or the pill etc.

The copper coil is perfect, no hormones therefore no changes in mood or weight gain etc. Your period cycle isnt affected either. This is a good one to go for if you are going to change it :cool:

Ive had a mirena for 4 years, I was a little iffy at first, i had some spotting, but after about 12-18 months it settled. I havnt had children either. But this was my last resort after trying everything else. And I can't have the pill because I had a loss of vision during a migraine about 5 years ago!

My bf says I have 'mood swings'. But I think he is exagerating, he's sensitive lol. I think it's more like I'm just having a bad day and he's pee'd me off!

I don't have a period now with mirena. But occasionally get a little bit of random period pain. but this seems to have gone a bit now.

I had an implant before the mirena. It was the worst time of my life. It completely changed me in the space of six months.

I went from being a happy and care free 20 yr old to miserable, depressed, paranoid, neurotic and under the care of a therapist. It was horrendous.

Turns out my body doesn't like the oestrogen (I think that's the one) and with the implant it had to travel round my entire body to get to where it needed to be. Whereas with the mirena the hormone is released directly to my womb and has no need to travel round and send me mental!! Thank god!!

The bit I'm least looking forward to is having it out next year. Ouchee!

Just look carefully at your options and don't rush. x

Had it for a yr and half, so maybe it not that. May be it my bf that causing the irritability!!! Haven't seen him since yest morning and am ok! And not seeing him til tomorrow so have bed all to myself again tonight. :) x

Latest posts

Back