Mistakes when you opened your salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GirlyGeek

Reaction score
please don't misunderstand me i realise we all need to make our own mistakes to learn etc. But thought this could be really helpful. So what do you think the biggest mistakes you made when you first opened a salon or rented a room where? Choice of stockist? Pricing? Location? Etc... I only open officially in 3-5 weeks so cannot add anything useful myself ... Just really feeling the nerves!!

Probably opening was the biggest mistake!

Setting my prices too low !

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek mobile app

look out for rateable value, as it sets your rates bill !!
dont vat reg until your sure its the right thing to do or be ready to pay out 20% of your turnover ! less reclaim .

Small mistakes but avoidable... I had my leaflets printed in bulk (to save costs) but it ended up costing me more as my prices changed, i was offering more treatments and new products and now having to chuck away old leaflets and order new ones.

Also choose your product lines wisely. Don't go investing all your money just because you like the idea of offering a certain product. Will it actually benefit you and make you money? Does it do what your looking for?

Good luck :hug: x

Oh god where to start!!
Spend a fortune on advertising that didn't work
If ur having your salon fitted out make sure your plumbing is as silent as poss and ur pipes are all very easily accessible.
Don't hire staff until u absolutely need them.
Don't set ur prices cheap. You can always do offers but it's hard to raise them once u start.
Aim for a certain clientele and stick to it. Don't try to please everyone as u can't.
Design ur own website or at least make sure u have full control over it as u will change it regularly.
I'm sure there's loads more but in a rush. Feel free to PM if you want a 2nd opinion in anything. X

with respect if you build you own site it can cost you more in lost business than a proper site could ever cost.

website building and strategy is an artform as its your global virtual window and gives everyone a snapshot of who you are and the level of service that you are going to offer , be very careful of your marketing it can make you or break you, after all mcdonalds is only a burger but they turn over billions a day yet we can make our own !

its all down to marketing and the images presented

Of course if you have the money to put into a website great but just from my experience I had a website built which looked fab but cost me Everytime I wanted to update it. Which as the seasons change that was often. I just prefer to be in charge of it myself.

Of course if you have the money to put into a website great but just from my experience I had a website built which looked fab but cost me Everytime I wanted to update it. Which as the seasons change that was often. I just prefer to be in charge of it myself.

That sounds like you got ripped of if it was simple content change. We do websites and we offer to update most bits for free for clients or they can have a login and do it themselves. Works both ways then :)

Excellent thread!! I have marked to read later xx

I had a regular website he charged £30 every time I wanted a simple thing changed.

In the end I paid him to change it to a content management site, so I can change it as much as I like.

Jemima :)

Things i learnt on opening : making me think but there are a few:

-When budgeting don't forget about rates. Send off for rate relief i did this and it dropped from 4.5 thousand payable to 515 for year 1.
-Solicitor fees apparently don't come as tax reliefable (found out this month) so get a good accountant.
Get a creative accountant not dodgy! I did my numbers for year 1 and found -£3546.00 he cost me £540 pounds but found -£6425.00 that as I'm in the negative can be declared but held to put against next years (current year) profit if there is any if not can be held for the following year. A good accountant will save you thousands.
-talking books, keep everything and update as you go along, and do your accounts as close to end of tax year as possible (April) so you know where you stand and if you have a bill you have 6 months to find the money.
-lessen down all your personal outgoings as much as you possibly can! I saved 1 thousand per month! Its surprising what you spend money on that you don't need too.
-really weigh up your costs. I chose a small town, in what I thought was a great location, I'm doing very well, but think I would have done the same in a street just off and would have less overheads thus meaning I would be in a better financial position. I have thousands of cars per day pass my window but due to the angle of the shop 90% of them don't see me!
-re-evaluate what you are paying for regularly, where you can save, etc
-do you need a card machine, I opened with one with Amex too, it's not that costly and I could have easily started without, but I take 70% card. So I find it worth it
-I opened with wifi... Did I really need too? No. And still don't, its nice and people like it, but I could have saved 30 per month. 18 months in thats a lot of cash
- really do you homework on suppliers.

-prices! Set them fair to the area and for what you're worth! I can't express this enough, some of my competitors are almost double me, and have customers, I set mine lower feeling I was ripping people off, but would I have been? No! I would have found the customers happy to pay for what they are getting.
-put them up each year! Your outgoings go up, don't lessen your profit margin for a couple moaning. You will find new customers.

-website- my first year I did my own and want to revamp it now, I am looking into actually paying a professional company or my bf given hes a graphics programmer and knows all this stuff to a point, but I get quite a few hits and would like them all to call. When you do your own its important to try not to over clutter your site. Clean clear and precise, I'm excellent at advising others... My own i feel needs clearing out but i struggle to clear it, hence maybe better looking into a professional!
-people calling to guarantee first page/top spot on google.... NO!!! They cannot guarantee, they don't work for google, they're pushy. I found out the hard way years ago when mobile, and getting your money back is not easy. Good website design, wording seo and everything will do that for you.
-elec/gas, make sure you have a contract as out of contract prices are rediculous!!
-phone, shop around, I left BT for Unicom... Big mistake in my eyes, costs slightly less even though big savings were shown but less professional, when i can I will prob change back but am definitely moving.
-don't concentrate on new customers, concentrate on keeping the ones that come in, they will be your life line and your wage. Keep them happy new customers will follow.

I think that's most of the main little things like someone else has said pm me if you have anything. I know its daunting, I was on holiday 2 weeks before opening ordering stock, furniture, it all happened very fast for me, and I sat for a good hour staring at nothing when I paid the fixtures and fitting, furniture bill, it was a big chunk of my money and all I could think was but what if it doesn't work and I'm left with nothing... That was the only hour I sat panicking ... Enjoy it, if you want to do well you will!

Have double the money you think you need. If I had to go back I'd have more in the bank pre opening. Choose your staff very wisely. Get a good accountant and a good solicitor (which cost a fortune btw).

Wow, some really great advice.

I would second the phone thing - I'm with a supposedly cheap company, but would go back to BT tomorrow. customer service is dire and lots of 'hidden' costs. We offer free broadband, but I use BB for the computer etc, so already a cost, and customers like it as our mobile reception here is rubbish!

Beg steal and borrow anything you can - a friend is letting us use her electric couch which has saved me!
Spend money where it's needed. We spent over £5000 taking on Environ and it is the best business decision I have made!
Remember things don't have to be perfect to open - but a year later and they're still not perfect. I'd like a decorating weekend lol!
I've done my own books since forever, and hate it with a vengeance. I end up paying tax, so if you have to pay tax - or not - definitely get a good accountant. Complete peace of mind!!!

Would I do it all again - yes definitely. I have never loved a job like I love my job, but don't expect big rewards. We're getting there!!!

And advertise....we're completely off the beaten track, so all clients have to be reminded regularly that there is a salon in their midst!!!

Thankyou all so much for the great replies! It is really helping me focus and pin down details. I'll give you all some info on where we are at with it all and stuff to explain why I am asking.

A family friend mentioned to my granddad in passing that the little salon she rented out to a lady was now empty as the lady is sadly very sick. It was brought to my attention and after alot of thought have decided to go for it! It's only a small place - two chairs, one backwash etc ... but it is lovely and on a busy road less than a mile from busy town centre and just 5 minutes walk from my house. The woman I am renting from is an absolute star - she is renting it to me at a discounted rate for the first 6 months as well!

Her husband has been in and decorated it already so no decoration needed. It is already kitted out the basics and just needs some life putting into it. It already has a small client base which I am willing to put hard work into expanding as well as adding my own clients already existing to it.

My grandfather has worked self-employed in the past and was married to my grandma who worked at the inland revenue for 35ish years so we are clued up about the tax man and he is going to look after the books etc for me.

I have enough funds upfront to cover the rent for the first year...pay myself a basic wage for the first year and also pay the start up costs for getting the bits and bobs I need .... which is really going to take the pressure off and help me to focus on achieving a good quality hopefully!

I have an appointment booked to speak to a business advisor who works for our local council to iron out any cracks ... but having never been self employed personally before I just want to make sure I avoid as many mistakes as possible hehe!

Wish me luck! xx

Fab advice from everyone. The only thing I can add is to reiterate doing as much as you can yourself, don't buy too many leaflets at a time, only buy what you need and yes it doesn't have to be perfect ...clients don't know what your vision is so so add long as it's clean tidy and professional they will love it.

The biggest thing I agree with is look after your regular clients, as said they are your Bread and butter and new clients will follow with recommendations, but of you annoy your regulars while concentrating on new business you will lose out. Reward the regulars to keep them coming back. Change things up now and then...I'm a nails and beauty salon and clients love that every pedicure is different , I'm always adding new touches....doesn't matter what the touches are, just keeps the place fresh. I change the oils in the burners , hand creams with different aromas...new bubbles in the pedi bath, mince pies at Xmas , chocolate at Easter.....just nice touches that are appreciated x

The only other thing that I have spent money on and wouldn't be without is an electronic booking system.
You don't have to have it all - I have online - but automatic text reminders are great for your clients, and make it look very professional. I also do a lot of text marketing - Special deals etc, which as Souz says, keeps your regulars engaged, and loyal. It probably isn't a must, but I would definitely be lost without it now!

Very best of luck - keep us in the loop!!!

V x

Fab thread! Marking for later :)

Fab advice from everyone. The only thing I can add is to reiterate doing as much as you can yourself, don't buy too many leaflets at a time, only buy what you need and yes it doesn't have to be perfect ...clients don't know what your vision is so so add long as it's clean tidy and professional they will love it.

The biggest thing I agree with is look after your regular clients, as said they are your Bread and butter and new clients will follow with recommendations, but of you annoy your regulars while concentrating on new business you will lose out. Reward the regulars to keep them coming back. Change things up now and then...I'm a nails and beauty salon and clients love that every pedicure is different , I'm always adding new touches....doesn't matter what the touches are, just keeps the place fresh. I change the oils in the burners , hand creams with different aromas...new bubbles in the pedi bath, mince pies at Xmas , chocolate at Easter.....just nice touches that are appreciated x

Looking after regulars is a must and concentrate on up selling different treatments to them you will find they talk about you a lot to their friends and family and the next thing you know you are getting new clients wanting to try what they have had. Keeping fresh always get seasonal colours in your polish or gel range they like it that you are current with trends. Every client is important even your eyebrow client make her feel as special as the ones spending xxx amount on facials she may one day go mad and want to have a facial too. Gift voucher clients are your new blood just because you had the money how many months ago treat this client with kid gloves you want her coming back and telling her friends about the fab therapist she has just been too. Customer care came natural to me but business skills have been a hard lesson to learn. I wish this site had been around when i was starting out !!!

Good luck. I'm opening my first hairdressers on the 11th February and pooping it!!! But excited also 😄

Latest posts

Back