Mixing colours of very different depths

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacyla123

Reaction score
Hi all

Maybe I'm asking a bit of a random question and maybe the answer is so obvious that I can't think of it!.. So I was wondering if someone could explain the following to me. I'm NVQ level 3 qualified by the way.
But I've been watching a few American Youtube colouring videos lately and I still don't understand why stylists mix two completely different colour depths together to create one colour. One example was to tone down highlighted hair using a demi/quasi, they were mixing 9G with 6N, or 10NB with 7NB together, to use as a toner/correction. Are they trying to create 7.5NG? and 8.5NB?
Wouldn't you just use 7N and 8G if you want a 7.5 level. One explanation was that there are different levels of depth in the blonde hair so it's mixed to grab differently to those, but surely you would apply those two colours separately, otherwise you're going to end up with the level in between and it's going to grab darker to the blonde pieces you want a 9? I'm clearly confused.
I've also checked that it's not that the colour lines they used don't sell say a 7NG or 8NB.. they do.

Thanks in advance!

No idea. I’m baffled too.

Hi all

Maybe I'm asking a bit of a random question and maybe the answer is so obvious that I can't think of it!.. So I was wondering if someone could explain the following to me. I'm NVQ level 3 qualified by the way.
But I've been watching a few American Youtube colouring videos lately and I still don't understand why stylists mix two completely different colour depths together to create one colour. One example was to tone down highlighted hair using a demi/quasi, they were mixing 9G with 6N, or 10NB with 7NB together, to use as a toner/correction. Are they trying to create 7.5NG? and 8.5NB?
Wouldn't you just use 7N and 8G if you want a 7.5 level. One explanation was that there are different levels of depth in the blonde hair so it's mixed to grab differently to those, but surely you would apply those two colours separately, otherwise you're going to end up with the level in between and it's going to grab darker to the blonde pieces you want a 9? I'm clearly confused.
I've also checked that it's not that the colour lines they used don't sell say a 7NG or 8NB.. they do.

Thanks in advance!
I think they're probably trying to be too clever, I do this kind of thing but usually to lighten a hade, so for example If I want to achieve wella 8/16 then I will mix 6/16 and 10/0 to create my 8/16 (not actually sold as a colour) , but as you say they obviously aren't doing it for that purpose because they could just use the colours in between "8nb" unless they didn't have the colours there and had to improveise :p

Either they don’t have all the shades so do more creative mixes or just trying to be too cleaver for the sake of it.

Latest posts

Back