MMA, EMA and the FDA

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeni Giles

Reaction score
In light of all the threads and debates about EMA, MMA and the FDA, I felt some constructive information was needed. (Sam you do a great job and have loads of info, but this is stuff I share with my students all the time, so the info was literally at my fingertips)

The FDA or the Food and Drug Administration is a council that approves all cosmetic preparations and drugs. A cosmetic preparation is considered to be " any article intended to be applied to the human body for cleansing, beautifying, promoting attractiveness, or altering the appearance with out affecting the body's structure or function." ( U.S. Food and Drug Administration Cosmetic Handbook)

The FDA strongly urges cosmetic manufacturers or marketers to test their products for safety as well as conduct whatever toxicological or other tests that are appropriate in order to substantiate the safety of their cosmetics. If the safety has not been substantiated it must carry a warning label.

The FDA also considers adulterated (harmful) cosmetic nail preparations containing methyl methacrylate monomer or more than 5% formaldehyde to be restricted or prohibited.

The FDA also requires manufacturers to comply with the Fair Labeling Act- all ingredients must be labeled and meet the FD & C requirements (Food, Drug and Cosmetic) which means the ingredients are listed by amount- with the major ingredients listed first and down in order of content. The label must be on the outside of the container. The label must also contain the place of business of the firm marketing the product, as well as the street address, city, state,and zip code. If the distributor is different from the manufacturer, this must also be noted on the label.

The FDA may enforce these laws ( in the United States of course) and may at any time inspect establishments in which products are manufactured or held, and seize adulterated, misbranded, incorrectly or deceptively labeled or filled cosmetics. The FDA may also initiate criminal action against a person violating the law. Examples of products seized are nail preparations containing methyl methacrylate or more that 5% formaldehyde, various eyebrow and eyelash dye products and products contaminated with harmful microorganisms. (code of Federal Regulations relating to Cosmetic products 1992) This does not make it right or legal for NSS to put MMA in bottles labeled correctly, it just means another fine or restriction when they are caught.

OK, now having given all that information, the FDA researched allegations that MMA was harmful, even when used correctly,finding that it should be restricted, and approved EMA after it had been researched and tested for toxicology by reputable companies that continue to research and educate the nail technicians who use their products.

Why is MMA less expensive? Hmmmmm.... the manufacturers didn't and don't continue researching for better adhesion and safer application techniques.

Why is EMA more expensive? It costs more to produce, is researched and tested. If the monomer is not up to the quality standards for that manufacturer's, it is disposed of and a new batch is made to ensure the safety of the people who will be using it. there are research chemists and technicians that are studying and testing to make the monomer safer and easier to use, and the number one reason is that these companies spend money educating the nail technician and the consumers about safe and sanitary practices. They also provide advertising in consumer magazines to help support the technicians using their products.

Why DO nail technicians need to know this? They don't, but it never hurts to have all the information available about the products you use and the agencies that regulate them.

Soooo, which monomer would you choose? I'll leave that choice up to you!!:twisted:

fab article, thanks jeni xxx

Thats great info thanks...

Is there anywhere i can print facts and figures off for my salon..

As its the general public need to know what harm it can do..

Thanks

Lets hope that this is going to be done globaly.

Attachments

• mmadoc.doc
    60.5 KB · Views: 178
Great article - clear and consise Jeni Debxx:green:

Lana said:
Lets hope that this is going to be done globaly.
glad to see it starting!!

Latest posts

Back