MMA rebalance Gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkirocco

Reaction score
Just wondered if anybody has done a rebalance on someone who came in with MMA nails. I buffed down as much as possible then rebalanced with gel, This is the first time i have done this as not had much experience with MMA in the past. The nails looked so much better when i finished but am a bit concerned how the gel will last with the previous product underneath, any ideas?

You did the best thing and I would continue to do rebalances until the MMA had grown out and then a soak off and a lovely new set.

I think you did as you should.

I have found in the past that if I try to remove the MMA, the damage that is underneath provides a very poor foundation for the gel to stick to, and the nails are prone to lifting.

When the MMA is left there, and you do a rebalance instead, no lifting problems.

I currently have a client who is 'growing out' the MMA while I rebalance with gel, and you can see the difference between the two unfortunately.
BUT she is soooo enamoured with the clear glass look of the gel, she's telling everyone and PROUDLY showing them the difference, educating her friends. (I guess that's the bonus of sending nails out the door that aren't as nice as you'd like - the advertising). I prefer to paint over the nails, to hide the difference in colour. But she prefers them to be french and doesn't mind the difference. She says no one notices until she points it out. And she has re-educated a few friends and co-workers (unfortunately, none are in my area).

The gel shouldn't lift from the MMA, while the MMA itselt might lift with age. If it does... does as usual and correct whatever problems arise.

The other problem with removing MMA and exposing the damage to apply gels is the heat spikes and the sensitivity of the nails beneath due to the damage. Not all heat spikes are avoidable in some cases.
Best to avoid the discomfort. You can explain this to your clients.

hth's

Thanks for your replies i'm glad i did the right thing. I have filed all mma off in past and as said couldn't get anything else to stick properly because they were too damaged. x

I've done this a few times actually, as long as the product is adhered ok I would just rebalance over the top of it and wait for it to grow out, you did the right thing hun x

i have done this lots of times and its fine...what i DO find happens is this...first few fills fine no problem...the as the MMA starts to grow out and its just your gel, clients tend to go through a bad patch of breaking them....bare with it, and tell them to too. Its because they are so used to "rocks r us" nails with MMA that they need to then adjust to not so hard gel. Once they adjust...(without even realising it) they will be fine.

Latest posts

Back