Mobile advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francesXXX

Reaction score
this may sound a silly question but just wanted to know if any full time mobile hairdressers have any general advice or words of wisdom for someone just starting out with my own business?
i've worked in salons for 7 years but 2 months ago decided to go freelance, for the obvious benefits like flexible hours and more oppurtunity to make money, plus I enjoy it more.
Haven't set up my tax returns or book keeping etc yet as I don't have to until its been 3 months, but am keeping all receipts etc.
Was wondering about ideas on how to promote myself or best way to gain new clients. I already have a basic clientele family friends etc and am in the process of having business cards/ price lists made. :)

No advice for hair but you need to register as self employed with HM revenue & customs within 3 months not after 3 months all it takes is a phone call. You won't need to do a tax return until Jan 2011 like everyone else but you need to register asap. You just call them and they ask for the date you started self employed (first paying client) and your name, business name and address. Then they send you info on being self employed that tells you what you need to keep a record on.

Also word of mouth is the best advert so get your clients, friends and family to tell everyone they know!

i did a website with webs.com its free.. then just put that on google maps, i'm the second one when you google miobile hairdresser in my area and have got most of my bisiness from that
i also did a local paper advert this got a few of regulars! oldies that cant get out!!
also do your friends family and get them to spread the word for you and show off your work!!!!

good luck xx

I have been freelance now for two years, I had been salon based for over twenty years, going out on my own was the best thing I ever did:)
The best way to build your buisness is word of mouth, you have to think of your safety if you are going to do flyers, remember you will be going into a strangers house. I am a member of the freelance hair and beauty federation, it costs £50.00 per year to be a member and it's fantastic, they organise courses, offer advice and support, the list goes on, have a look at their website and you will see what I mean. I have got so much out of being a member and have met some lovely like minded people, being freelance can be quite lonely. It's easy to set up on your own, just ring the Inland Revenue and register as self employed, they offer free courses for the newley self employed, well worth doing. Good luck with it, you won't look back! :) Hope this has helped, any other questions then just ask.

Latest posts

Back