Mobile beauty full time - can you really make it work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KattyB

Reaction score
I have been doing a little bit of mobile beauty (few clients here and there) based on recommendation. I have only just set up a facebook page and have plans for a website, maybe have my car sign written etc. What I'm trying to say is I have not been 'pushing' my services.

I have the option to open a small salon in the new year.

Question....do I go for the salon or build up my mobile clients?

Do any of you geeks make a full time living from mobile customers...is there enough demand or do people prefer a salon service?

it depends how much of a risk opening a salon is (cost,competition etc)
i was working from home and have just decided to go mobile and everyone is really enthusiastic about having me come to them instead, so i guess u just need to ask your clients what they think!

I think if you're organised with your travel time, you can make a decent living as you'll get more clients in. I only do 2/3 clients per day maximum, as I have to work around school hours. If I could work evenings if make more money. I found the thing with mobile is you need to have a lot of availability to make really good money.

I also think there is a good market for both mobile, home salon and salon clients. There's money to be had whatever work we do, we just have to figure out how to prise it out of our clients hands in the current climate...in the nicest possible way of course ;)

Thanks for your replys.

Current clients have all followed me about and do not seem bothered either way. I've mentioned it to a few and none of them seemed particulary excited but then I suppose their biased because they like me coming to them.

Alot of spray tan clients prefer being at home and also mani and pedi's whilst their waiting for polish to dry. Clients who struggle with childcare too. Some people prefer a salon to get away from the kids and perhaps see it as a more professional setting. However I do agree there is a market for all mobile...home salon..shop salon. The question is which is most popular?

When your mobile you can 'go get' your clients...travel where you want..when you want and use your time in between to do other things. In a shop you are restricted as you have to be there..open for business however you are a permentant advertisment gaining new clients.

One of my clients (a good friend) suggests that if I can rent out space in my salon to a nail tech, have a sunbed and perhaps get in a Botox nurse etc then I may be able to cover half my overheads per month and minimise the financial outlay of owning a salon. She thinks having a salon will attract more clients and feels I would still retain the ones I have mobile.

Such a dilema....

Latest posts

Back