Mobile but need some help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayleyc1983

Reaction score
I started my business part time in Sept 2011 and went full time 12 months ago. Since then my client base has grown to 400 and to be honest I'm running around like headless chicken trying to fit everyone in. I'm thinking of taking on a college leaver that I know well, thing is, is it better for her to work for me freelance? For employment law reasons is this easier? Also I would rather pay her by the hour instead of her taking the treatment charges, do you think that would work? I want my service to remain mobile, but really don't know what is best to do and what my obligations are. Any advice would be appreciated! Xxx

Congratulations! It's so good to hear about mobile businesses doing so well. Do you enjoy being mobile? I'm wondering if this would be a good time for you to make the move into a salon/rented room? Or do you want to stick with what you're doing now?

Ahh thanks! Yes I do enjoy being mobile and my clients like it, which is why I think I have been successful to date, so I would like to keep things as they are and wouldn't be looking to rent a room as such at this stage. Wouldn't rule out purchasing a salon in the future, but not something I want to do at this stage x

To be honest hun i think you would struggle to keep someone.
I think if they could see what you were charging they would soon do it for themselves.
I think it is hard to set someone on mobile as it comes with no risks. By this i mean they could try it on there own and if it didnt work nothing to loose.
Where as with a shop some people havnt got the money to start up and therefor would rather work for someone.
Realy glad your doing well though

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Yes alot easier to poach clients be very carful

Thanks all, I hadn't really thought about the poaching client thing, you are right. I guess it doesn't matter how much you know someone there is always potential for it. I don't really want to hand the business that I have built up to someone else on a plate! X

Neither would I, you're making money keep it for yourself

Its definitely the poaching i would be worried about too. But wow, well done! I am mobile and i would loose some ladies if i rented a room but it is the way i am heading, as i'd be able to fit more people in and save time setting up/packing away and driving. Xx

Would be great to hear how that goes Steph, just trying to think of the best solution really without losing my loyal clients xx

Firstly well done for having such a great business :0) I can see that this is a dilemma for you but i am a great believer in 'If it isn't broken don't fix it'

If you don't want to take on a salon or change your business model then there isn't a lot you can do to grow your business if you are at capacity. As the others geeks say if you take on another girl she could poach clients, but if you don't you want be able to grow your earnings and you risk losing some of your clients as they become fed up trying to make appointments with you and not being able to.

I would look into taking on a girl on an employed basis and managing her appointments for her on the days she works, this way you have control over her side of the service. If you take her on a self employed basis you will have no control how she chooses to evolve her business.

Another suggestion which possibly may not work is to group some of your clients?? perhaps some of your ladies know each other or live close by so you could have group bookings where you do several treatments in one residence? this may save you a couple of appointments travelling and set up time? Just a suggestion.

Hope this may be of some use xx

I agree with you taking someone on as an Employee to start, the only problem is that they will very quickly become disgruntled by the fact that they are doing "all the work" and you taking " all the money"

People talk and she will know exactly how much your clients pay, She will either be taking the cash for you or you will need to take payments by card in advance. You will have to sort out the PAYE, holiday pay, paid bank holidays, overtime, Insurances etc etc. and at the end of the day she might do a bad job and lose you clients anyway. It wont be long before she will be doing jobs on the side and before long she will be offering her services to your clients at a lower price, especially if you cant fit someone in, they will be calling her. ( I have been through this before with someone I trusted and taught everything she knew)

Mobile therapy is a cut throat environment, you are doing really well and it would be such a shame if your " Protege" ends up diluting your income.

Thank you everyone for your replies, think I have decided to stick to it for the time being xx

Hi Hayley,

Great to hear you are so busy with your mobile business. I wondered if you could share any tips/advice for other mobile techs to try and generate new business.

I started out last Oct (just part time as also work in an office) but to be honest have struggled to get customers. I have the odd ones but nothing major and would one day love to be able to do it full time.

What services do you offer if you dont mind me asking? What is the most popular?

Hope you dont mind picking your brains?

Lou x

Been in this situation my self as the "protege" ..... my former boss set up as a mobile stylist when we were made redundent, she took care of the majority of the clients from our salon and allowed the stylists (all found alt work) to offer their services to their favorites. Long story short my hrs were cut at work, so I decided to go mobile in my spare time and she offered me her clients whilst she was on holiday for 10% of each appt, this was a great arangement and wrked both ways as our clients knew us both, I was trained well and can work to her v.high standards, she has now chosen a change of career and I've inherited all of her clients. I too am forever off to the next app but it is nice to have back up from someone u can trust, with an arrangement that works for everyone.
Besides I think it only a matter of time before she realises nursing doesn't compare to hairdressing, she'll be back and I'll be happy to share.

Sorry for being long.... first post.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek

Hi Lou, just network! Social media is the best thing I ever did, and listing on free websites. There is a great thread on here called something like more ways to promote your business. That was amazing when I first started xx

I started my business part time in Sept 2011 and went full time 12 months ago. Since then my client base has grown to 400 and to be honest I'm running around like headless chicken trying to fit everyone in. I'm thinking of taking on a college leaver that I know well, thing is, is it better for her to work for me freelance? For employment law reasons is this easier? Also I would rather pay her by the hour instead of her taking the treatment charges, do you think that would work? I want my service to remain mobile, but really don't know what is best to do and what my obligations are. Any advice would be appreciated! Xxx

Have you thought of putting your prices up? You might lose a few clients, but the ones that stay will make up for it, and you won't be "running around like a headless chicken", but if you are, you will at least be earning more?

Latest posts

Back