Mobile hairdresser - how much do you charge?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc20

Reaction score
Iv just qualified as a level 3 hairdresser and doing mobile. I don't know what a reasonable price is to charge people - also does anyone else feel cheeky taking the money off of people? I do especially friends. But I think some of them expect it for free. Especially colours! But it costs me. I'm in the leeds area, just don't have a clue how much a reasonable price is to charge people for colours and cuts - please help xx

I can tell you what I charge - not enough! I started out at half salon prices,but as salon prices went up , my prices didnt . Its really hard when clients become like friends and you dont have the desk between you at pay up time!

With friends , maybe if they dont want to pay they could pay for the products and maybe do a skill exchange - a late night lift home on a nite out , cleaning ,decorating etc..

all i can tell you is dont start to cheap its really hard to put prices up. now if i want to change my prices i have some proffessional pricelists done like they have in salons and give my clients one as im leaving and just say these are my new prices for nxt time they all usually ok with it. as i also work in a salon if anyone moans i just tell them salon price and then they realise how much cheaper it is!!!:lol:

Thanks guys :))

Do you think these prices are reasonable?

Cut & blow £10 - £15
full head foils £25-£30
1/2 Head foils £20-£25
Root regrowth £15
Full head tint £20-£25

Xxx

Thanks guys :))

Do you think these prices are reasonable?

Cut & blow £10 - £15
full head foils £25-£30
1/2 Head foils £20-£25
Root regrowth £15
Full head tint £20-£25

Xxx

OMG no! They are way too cheap! Put them up, up, up!

I'm not even a hair geek, but omg they are very cheap! It's much easier to lower your prices than higher them, so start as you mean to go on and put them up now :) I am
Saying this from my own Experience from the beauty side xxx

omg really, please could people tell me what they charge so i have an idea xxx

omg really, please could people tell me what they charge so i have an idea xxx

your foils are way too cheap , dont forget that if they are having hi-lift thats another 50 minutes of .waiting around -thats another client , id double it . The other prices increase a little more

I know this sounds cheeky but it's called research, go around local salons and go on mobile stylists websites and look for te price lists, i ignored the stereotype that mobile stylists should be cheaper ad went mid range salon price's due to myself being convenience for the client by going to them, I'm no less qualified to do their service than a salon so why should I be cheaper?

Don't sell yourself down! Like has been said keep prices higher and if needs be lower them or run promotions.

When I first qualified a friend of my mum had her cut and blowdry for £5, she would sometimes buy a box colour for me to put on too and still wouldn't pay more. When I decided I was going mobile I let her know my prices would be increasing and that no one was getting discounts other than my promo's (that's a lie as my mum is free as does her best friend for the huge amount of help she has given us over the last few years with family members dying she kept my mum sane, so all I ask is they cover the cost of te tube when I need to buy it.)

You have to slightly remove yourself from being a business owner strikes as see yourself as an employee of that business, as just an employee you don't have the authority's lower the price for anyone. That's how I do it and just tell clients the price is set and not for negotiation.

Remember being mobile includes lots of wasted time, traveling,
setting up, waiting for colours to take... So make sure you cover these costs also, otherwise you may actually lose clients being so cheap, how can she charge so little? Maybe she's no good? Is some things that will go through people's minds. And although it's expensive to begin with , get a quality set of product, quality tints and possibly even replace what's in your college kit with better quality as these are really just beginners tools, it all shows through as you charging accordingly. Xoxo

I know this sounds cheeky but it's called research, go around local salons and go on mobile stylists websites and look for te price lists, i ignored the stereotype that mobile stylists should be cheaper ad went mid range salon price's due to myself being convenience for the client by going to them, I'm no less qualified to do their service than a salon so why should I be cheaper?

Don't sell yourself down! Like has been said keep prices higher and if needs be lower them or run promotions.

When I first qualified a friend of my mum had her cut and blowdry for £5, she would sometimes buy a box colour for me to put on too and still wouldn't pay more. When I decided I was going mobile I let her know my prices would be increasing and that no one was getting discounts other than my promo's (that's a lie as my mum is free as does her best friend for the huge amount of help she has given us over the last few years with family members dying she kept my mum sane, so all I ask is they cover the cost of te tube when I need to buy it.)

You have to slightly remove yourself from being a business owner strikes as see yourself as an employee of that business, as just an employee you don't have the authority's lower the price for anyone. That's how I do it and just tell clients the price is set and not for negotiation.

Remember being mobile includes lots of wasted time, traveling,
setting up, waiting for colours to take... So make sure you cover these costs also, otherwise you may actually lose clients being so cheap, how can she charge so little? Maybe she's no good? Is some things that will go through people's minds. And although it's expensive to begin with , get a quality set of product, quality tints and possibly even replace what's in your college kit with better quality as these are really just beginners tools, it all shows through as you charging accordingly. Xoxo

Agree with all of the above, I'm part time salon based an mobile the rest of the time an I actually charge more for mobile than what my boss charges for me to do hair in the salon! Works well for me as where I work is a good distance from my at home clients :)

they seam a little cheap to me are you adding on a cut and blow dry on top of your colour prices? I would start a little higher then make sure you put them up a little every year like everything else. try and have a nosey round see what other people are charging in your area. have you many clients ? maybe put in an advert in local paper maybe put an offer on colours then when you have done a client give them a pricelist or a few and tell them to pass on to freinds. hope this helps;)

Latest posts

Back