Mobile hairdressers - advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was recently made redundant from the salon that I worked in for 4 years. I have since had no luck with finding another job, and so last month, decided to make the jump to going mobile.

I have got a nice list of clients so far and am really enjoying working for myself but what worries me is that I have a lot of gaps, with me not having enough clients. I just wanted to get a general idea of how long it took you all to get a big list of clients, enough to be busy for the whole month? I've been told it can take upto a year, so maybe I'm just being impatient, its just a worry, as mobile, you don't have clients walking in.

I did the same this year and had a list being me like family and friends, iv gotten busyer but not packed out, its not a problem as it takes time. Be the best you can and the clients will soon be there. Maybe a promotion like loyalty cards may help if you are worried xoxo

Hi all,

I was recently made redundant from the salon that I worked in for 4 years. I have since had no luck with finding another job, and so last month, decided to make the jump to going mobile.

I have got a nice list of clients so far and am really enjoying working for myself but what worries me is that I have a lot of gaps, with me not having enough clients. I just wanted to get a general idea of how long it took you all to get a big list of clients, enough to be busy for the whole month? I've been told it can take upto a year, so maybe I'm just being impatient, its just a worry, as mobile, you don't have clients walking in.

I'm 2 years on and pretty busy... But could possibly be busier.

One thing I never use to do was rebook my clients... I was just too relaxed and let them contact me!

But I do now so I know what I have booked in, in the coming weeks!

I'm hectic this week, and 2 weeks ago was horrendous - I earned more in one day last week then the whole previous! But that's just how it goes I'm afraid!

Xx

Thanks guys, I have lots of advertising out so will just have to see how it goes :) x

It took me around 6 months to get off the ground and am really busy now, in fact, I'm too busy and have to cut down on work due to health reason so am getting rid of the customers who have irregular "do's" :)

I was steady for my first two years mobile, and now I'm permanently chockablock to the point it's causing raws with my partner!! I love my job an I am so lucky to be this busy!! I will never look back to working in a salon! Only advice I give is don't price your self to cheep or you'll end up like me 4 years on And too scared to put prices up. Also people do **** on u and let you down and sometimes go to other people but they always come back. X

Firstly id say always have a positive attitude then work will naturally flow your way via posive energy.

Remember alot of people would love to be in your situation and be able to be freelance. When i have gaps i go the gym sauna and swim. I may stock up. Update record cards. See whos due there next appointments. Go the wholesalers research new products. Update my fb anything to promote yourself.

Also if client books in with me for a cut ile always recommend a treatment or highlights or ile tell them about extensions i do and will show them some photos of my work. There start to trust you then and will rebook.

Good luck be patient and keep it up xx

Get yourself some pricelist printed, put some info about urself, ie where you trained how long u have been a hairdresser and any other info u can think of, (potential clients wont phone you if they know nothing about you) on the days ur quiet get urself out and about doing leaflet drops through ppls doors, drop some into local businesses etc get out there promoting urself, i can safely say in all the years i have been mobile, advertising in papers, magazine etc have all been a waste of timefor me, ppl scan papers etc and may miss ur ad however if they have a single sheet of paper put through ur door, ur gona pick it up and look at it! It always works for me AND its good exercise!!

Legwork is the best advice i can give. Go into council offices, hospitals, Pubs and bars, places like that and offer them a discount off their first service. This then starts word of mouth and slowly you will get there. I'm starting over again in a new city and this has worked well for me. I leaflet dropped in a few military housing streets and got a lot of work from them.
A Facebook group and selling pages, gumtree ads and freeads are all free to advertise on too so start there. Good Luck xx

Just and idea...even tho it may not be exactly what you want to do.... How about trying to go into the independent living elderly communities they love to have their hair done but can't get out of the house that easily I had a girlfriend do that she made boo-coo bucks and they live to visit!

Hi I've been mobile about 5 years and I find word of mouth and facebook are my best way off booking in....facebook clients arnt always reliable I find I do them once then the next mobile hairdresser with cheaper prices gets them next ...but they always come back in the end ;)

if i wanted to work from home is there anything i need to know about or do before? what about insurance etc? please x

Latest posts

Back