Mobile nail techs - radius and cost

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arty*Rox

Reaction score
Was just wondering what sort of radius you cover as a mobile nail tech? And if you have any clients that are past that radius are you willing to go and what would you charge per extra mile?

I ask this as lately ive had quite a few enquirers from outside of my normal 8 mile radius, I find if I go outside this im losing to much money in time and petrol but im thinking of including going outside this radius for an extra £3 charge per mile, does this seem to steep?

I haven't currently started myself yet but id say that does sound quite a lot per mile. if I was a customer I would think it was. could you not maybe just do £1 per mile but not maybe travel more than x distance?
I'm sure other geeks will jump in anyway as id be interested in what others do x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Where I am my radius is 10 miles which for some addresses can take 30 minutes to travel to (I have a very economical car that helps).
Anything beyond that I charge a flat £5 surcharge but I have my own nail room so clients have the choice to come to me instead
Vicki x

The problem I find is a 10 mile journey for me takes more like 45 mins especially in the summer months as I live in quite a touristy area. I do have some clients come to me but I don't have a beauty room as such, I just set up in my lounge, which for the long standing clients I have coming to me love it, I sometimes pop the TV on if they want to catch up with Jeremy kyle or some daytime rubbish lol, and i also offer a 10% discount if they come to me, but i'm always worried that with new clients the set-up may not be professional enough?

I haven't currently started myself yet but id say that does sound quite a lot per mile. if I was a customer I would think it was. could you not maybe just do £1 per mile but not maybe travel more than x distance?
I'm sure other geeks will jump in anyway as id be interested in what others do x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

That might be a better option actually, so maybe have a free 4 mile radius then any extra mile after that I could charge £1 per mile, so if I was to travel 10 miles I would charge £6 extra.

My radius is 7 miles. Anything outside of that is £1 per mile but I also have a £25 minimum spend amount if i travel outside of the 7 miles (£15 within my normal radius). I dont want to be driving round all night for nothing. Generally i just try to avoid taking clients outside my normal radius.

15 mile radius, £1 per mile after that.

Minimum spend for me to travel out, e.g. if you live 8 miles away you must spend £8.

I'm not mobile any more but it worked for me :)

xxx

Is that 15 miles there and back? or just there?

Would be interested to know as my clients live a fair way away from me so alot of travelling.

I do the treatment price for anyone in a 20 mile radius and then for anyone outside of that it's a min of £20.00

I have a minimum spend over 7 miles and it's 45p per mile as per direct gov website

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Thanks for your responses, i'm getting more of an idea now, it seems that quite a few of you differ how far your willing to go before you start to charge, 20 miles seems an awful big radius how on earth do you make a good hourly rate on that? :eek: 5 to 7 miles seems appropriate before a charge is incurred.

So another question, what do you charge if a client has simply broken a nail and she lives say 4 to 5 miles away? Do you still use some minimum spend on this too?

My lovely ladies know better than to break a nail because they will have to wait until i'm in the area to go repair it :lol:

I used to have lots of repairs because i would woosh off to fix them but it just got silly. I stopped doing it and magically they stopped breaking them.

Havent had to do a nail repair for months and months now :wink2: xx

My lovely ladies know better than to break a nail because they will have to wait until i'm in the area to go repair it :lol:

I used to have lots of repairs because i would woosh off to fix them but it just got silly. I stopped doing it and magically they stopped breaking them.

Havent had to do a nail repair for months and months now :wink2: xx

I'm lucky on this front too, lucky enough to have clients that look after there nails, but there's still that odd occasion they have an accident, more so the ones that have gone from having acrylic extensions too Gelish or Shellac as there used to having the strength of the acrylic, but most are getting used to it now :)

When a client calsl me for a repair I always try to talk them into coming to me, but not all drive or have the kids at home etc, and im wondering whether to start charging some kinda of call out fee as the cost of doing one repair ofter just covers my petrol. But I cant stand the idea of someone having to put up with a split nail for a week or even worse them getting out the superglue :eek:

well what i am thinking of doing once i have the car and i hope this does not sound daft ..But i will have one set of prices on my business cards for the birmingham area where i am from which is also closer to home on my door step. :lol:.And when i come to expand say to stoke, london or essex i would have the same business cards but with just a new set of higher price rate to cover for my treatments petrol and time :idea: that way it wont look so steep to my clients plus i would still offer my discounts and offers without losing out as i have covered my treatment ,travel,petrol and time costs just in my treatments alone :idea::rolleyes:
In other words bring my treatment prices up and when i mean up i mean high for areas outside of birmingham

I have a 20mile radius, although most of my clients are within 10 and for the clients who live further away, I'm normally there for 2+ hours so its always worth my while! If it wasn't I would charge 45ppm as someone has already said, it's the going rate for fuel and ware and tear of your car and should cover your travelling expenses.

I have a 20mile radius, although most of my clients are within 10 and for the clients who live further away, I'm normally there for 2+ hours so its always worth my while! If it wasn't I would charge 45ppm as someone has already said, it's the going rate for fuel and ware and tear of your car and should cover your travelling expenses.

Yup I guess it is worth it if your doing several treatments, I'm purely a nail tech so I don't offer any other beauty treatments, a 20 mile radius would be ok if I included a minimum spend of around £35.00 but not many want to spend that on there nails alone every 2 weeks, but its something for me to consider :)

Is that 15 miles there and back? or just there?

Would be interested to know as my clients live a fair way away from me so alot of travelling.

15 miles there, so a 30 mile round trip. I did have a few ladies paying extra for me to travel 20 miles :)

xxx

I once had a lady ring me who wanted me to do her nails but when she told me where she lived I thought 'oh no' I didn't particularly want to go that far, was around 10 miles away and a good 15-20 min journey depending on traffic, So I thought well one way round it is to tell her it would be so much for treament and then a further £5 on top to cover travel expenses. She was fine with this though so I went and did it.
I would do this again if someone wanted nails done and where further away than I'm aiming to work I will charge that extra £5. x

That might be a better option actually, so maybe have a free 4 mile radius then any extra mile after that I could charge £1 per mile, so if I was to travel 10 miles I would charge £6 extra.

I do exactly that. To be honest, most of my clients are outside the 4 mile area but all have been more than happy to pay. I have a minimum appointment spend of £15 excluding travel costs.

£20 minimum call out and maximum of 7 - 8 miles, if they're having multiple treatments then I'll go further out and probably not charge anymore.

Since checking how much my petrol is costing me through Google, it does worry me as sometimes a 6 mile drive is costing me approx £1.51 each way so I can't understand how anyone can include a radius of 20 miles, it must be costing a fortune!

Latest posts

Back