Mobile therapist setting up - what's popular?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosyK30

Reaction score
hi, Im currently at college (as a mature 30 year old) and just looking for a bit of advice. I eventually would like to be a mobile therapist but I realise I am going to have to put a bit of money a side to buy some equiptment and Im just wondering what I really need. im thinking 2 wax pots 1 hot wax, a beauty couch, tiniting products, Id like to buy a gelish kit Id love a spray tan machine too. What did everyone else start off doing as mobile, i dont want to buy stuff and its a total waste off money, also do you think 2nd hand is ok? xx

Have a research into what's popular in your area, where I live everyone gets lashes and tans and very few get facials and manicures so I think it really does vary greatly where you are xxx good luck

thanks, yeah we are doing a whole block on Facials in college and feel like its a bit of a waste of time! xx

I would agree about research!

I bought a 2nd hand beauty couch but it was in brilliant condition. Also bought my spray tan tent and machine from a girl on gumtree but I was lucky that she hadn't used either!

I would agree about research!

I bought a 2nd hand beauty couch but it was in brilliant condition. Also bought my spray tan tent and machine from a girl on gumtree but I was lucky that she hadn't used either!

yeah been look on gumtree, somtimes i think people ask more that what its worth though! yeah i think i know what is popular just need to start saving :sad: xx

thanks, yeah we are doing a whole block on Facials in college and feel like its a bit of a waste of time! xx

I personally don't think doing facials at college is a waste of time at all. I used to do mobile years ago and I did lots of facials. There is no way you could be qualified fully without Learning about facials. Ok you may think its a waste of time but will you always want to be doing mobile? And if so what will you say to people who want facials?if you make a name for yourself in your area for using top end or mid end products and for giving a fabulous facial you will find clients falling over themselves to book in with you. Also clients will always ask for skin advice, without necessarily having a facial and without being taught, you wouldn't know where to begin.

Different things are popular at different times. You will need all your sanitising products. All your instruments, eyelash tints + peroxide, spray tanning equipment, wax heaters, couch( if 2nd hand make sure it doesn't creak and is easy to put up and down) check the weight of it and remember you won't always be able to park right outside.

You will need a folding mani desk, you can't really expect to use clients tbh. You can of course use there chair generally but it is always a good idea to have back up as I went somewhere once where the women didn't have suitable chairs for us.

You will need a folding foot stool for pedicures, foot spa, a good quantity of towels. A good amount of gel colours or polishes. For me it would be both as not everyone wants power polish. Then all the other products associated with this treatment.

Consultation forms, insurance, after care leaflets.

It's an expensive business setting up. Don't go lower end on all your products or expect low prices and lack of longtivity or quality.

Check all of your equipment thoroughly and then again if you're buying second hand. Also make sure your equipment is compatible to your products, ie Uv light is correct for the gel polish you will be using.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit.

I personally don't think doing facials at college is a waste of time at all. I used to do mobile years ago and I did lots of facials. There is no way you could be qualified fully without Learning about facials. Ok you may think its a waste of time but will you always want to be doing mobile? And if so what will you say to people who want facials?if you make a name for yourself in your area for using top end or mid end products and for giving a fabulous facial you will find clients falling over themselves to book in with you. Also clients will always ask for skin advice, without necessarily having a facial and without being taught, you wouldn't know where to begin.

Different things are popular at different times. You will need all your sanitising products. All your instruments, eyelash tints + peroxide, spray tanning equipment, wax heaters, couch( if 2nd hand make sure it doesn't creak and is easy to put up and down) check the weight of it and remember you won't always be able to park right outside.

You will need a folding mani desk, you can't really expect to use clients tbh. You can of course use there chair generally but it is always a good idea to have back up as I went somewhere once where the women didn't have suitable chairs for us.

You will need a folding foot stool for pedicures, foot spa, a good quantity of towels. A good amount of gel colours or polishes. For me it would be both as not everyone wants power polish. Then all the other products associated with this treatment.

Consultation forms, insurance, after care leaflets.

It's an expensive business setting up. Don't go lower end on all your products or expect low prices and lack of longtivity or quality.

Check all of your equipment thoroughly and then again if you're buying second hand. Also make sure your equipment is compatible to your products, ie Uv light is correct for the gel polish you will be using.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit.

thank you:D

Hi,
I am home based and also do some mobile work. Just wanted to add to the very thorough advise above....as mentioned I guess to some degree it depends where you live.

I live in a largish town near Leeds and my most popular treatments by far are Shellac/Gelicure and waxing followed by tinting. My ladies on the whole tend to be late 20s through to retired. I stock a large range of Shellac/Gelicure and nail polishes but when I started and was building up my collection I stuck to a classic range of colours and then did research with my clients to see which other colours they would like before spending more money. (Took a lot of will power though as put me in front of the colours and I could go mad!!!)

Hope this helps xx

Latest posts

Back