Mobile versus Salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LADY STARDUST

Reaction score
:confused:Hi,
I'm new today so apologies if I've not done this correctly. Firstly this site is utter fab!!!
Im in a dilemma, i work part time in a salon (not my own unfortunately) and am considering very strongly becoming mobile. I have done the necessary paperwork and planning and im just wondering if i should try to build up my new business whilst working in the salon or cut my losses and just go for the mobile work?
I know if i give up work ill be able to concentrate on the mobile and also will be able to advertise without worrying about treading on works' toes, however i just worry that i wont have enough work to pay my bills at the end of the month.
i currently get working tax credits so this helps me somewhat also.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
Many thanks in advance...xXx

Mobile work is bloody hard work hun. I am having to give it up as it is doing my back in, lugging about the couch as it is soooo heavy.
It's not as easy to get clients as i thought it would be. I would say to you, continue to work part time in the salon you are renting from and try out a bit of mobile work and see what you think of it and how you get on. That way if it isnt for you then you havent cut you losses at the salon you are in and will still have work.
Also by working in a salon you can fit more people into the day as you have no travelling. xxx

Thank you, yes i did wonder about the flippin couch and all the other paraphernalia!!!
thanks for the advice - much needed ta xXx

Thank you, yes i did wonder about the flippin couch and all the other paraphernalia!!!
thanks for the advice - much needed ta xXx

Ha ha do let us know how you get on! I have put a few adverts on gumtree for mobile work that has worked very well. If you do his make sure you put WOMEN ONLY SERVICE, NO MEN RING ME!!!
In caps lol as the men will harrass you for massages xxx

Hi Lady Stardust and welcome to the forum! Have to say your choice is name isn't very original! :lol: Who would chose such a silly name like that! :lol::lol:
Regarding your post - I would not go mobile while still working in a salon as personally, I feel that it was taking advantage of the salon owner and would possibly lead the owner feeling like you are poaching clients and get you into a lot of trouble. This is something I have thought about as well as I'm going to be a student come next September but would never dream of starting whilst still working in a salon.

Regarding going mobile, I'd say go for it. Its the easiest and cheapest way of having your own business. It is hard work, lots of physical lugging etc. but I'm sure it can be rewarding too. As long as you know exactly what you will and won't do regaring treatments, who you will and won't treat and if you'll be doing little extra's that you dont charge or charge for everything (eg. a free ebw, when doing a full leg etc. remember, one freebie might lead to another and a lot of lost revenue)

With earnig enough money, you don't pay tax till after a certain amount has been earned approx £4500 if i recall correctly (please correct me if im wrong) so this would help your costs a bit. But starting a new bussiness wil lways have a certain amount of time in the red till you finally get back into the blue. I'm sur eother mobile techs out there will give you a guideline on how long it took them untill they broke even first time.

Good luck though with your choice!!

Best wishes

Lady Stardust!

Hi Lady Stardust and welcome to the forum! Have to say your choice is name isn't very original! :lol: Who would chose such a silly name like that! :lol::lol:
Regarding your post - I would not go mobile while still working in a salon as personally, I feel that it was taking advantage of the salon owner and would possibly lead the owner feeling like you are poaching clients and get you into a lot of trouble. This is something I have thought about as well as I'm going to be a student come next September but would never dream of starting whilst still working in a salon.

Regarding going mobile, I'd say go for it. Its the easiest and cheapest way of having your own business. It is hard work, lots of physical lugging etc. but I'm sure it can be rewarding too. As long as you know exactly what you will and won't do regaring treatments, who you will and won't treat and if you'll be doing little extra's that you dont charge or charge for everything (eg. a free ebw, when doing a full leg etc. remember, one freebie might lead to another and a lot of lost revenue)

With earnig enough money, you don't pay tax till after a certain amount has been earned approx £4500 if i recall correctly (please correct me if im wrong) so this would help your costs a bit. But starting a new bussiness wil lways have a certain amount of time in the red till you finally get back into the blue. I'm sur eother mobile techs out there will give you a guideline on how long it took them untill they broke even first time.

Good luck though with your choice!!

Best wishes

Lady Stardust!

Hello, You can do mobile work as well as working in a salon as long as you are not advertising or doing clients within a 3 mile radius from the salon itself. I personally think quitting her job and jumping straight into mobile work is not a good idea as it takes tim to build up clients and at first you dont make much money at all. Where as if she was to do this on the side of her job she could build up customers and have a guaranteed wage from the salon. She may not even like working mobile and wont know until she tries it xxx

I would suggest trying a bit of mobile work first but NOT in the same area as the salon you work in. If your boss found out, well, you could be in big trouble, depending on your contract.

As already mentioned mobile work is jolly hard work. I only do mobile for Pamper Parties which are financially worth it but it's a killer on the back.

Working for yourself isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

Try working both at the same time, although not taking customers from the salon you work in. I went straight into mobile and am glad to say that I do have other income to fall back on as it is hard to get your client base up and running.

Hi

Why dont you carry on in the salon and work mobile when your not in the salon.
I dont take seriously this parafanalia about "not working within a certain radius of where you work", Unless that is you have a working contract and even then its not faliable and can be difficult and expensive for salon owners to enforce. Its like saying to an electrician you cant work here, because Im here.......its just not done!

People, clients whatever you want to call them will go where they wont to go....someone may go to x for a wax and Y for nails...or may just go to A because they wont a change or therapist/owners become complacant with their clients.

Mobile is hard work, their is the ferrying of equipment(couch), I have hurt my back too and its not from improper lifting either...Occupational hazard!

I would guess the real issue is the fact you want to advertise and gain up a client base?....

A I would stick in a salon - continuing professional development & wage until ....B

B I would mention to family and friends that you will do treatments in the evening/weekends/weddings-this will gain client base, word of mouth reputation, eventually own boss

Draw up a buisness plan....list the pros and cons, have a look at whats happening in your area at the moment. Tap into certain services...dont have a long list, stick to the main things what you you enjoy doing treatment wise
and Good Luck what ever you decide

Thanks a lot for all the advice - i certainly wouldn't pinch any clients from work anyway and im going to be working at a reasonable distance away from the salon. Its certainly something i'm going to have to have a hard think about, cheers all!!

Lady Stardust!

:lol:ha! i thought i was being really original then too!!

Only if pinching a name from a david bowie song is original! hahaha

Latest posts

Back