Moms

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eviestyle

Reaction score
So in the area where I live, people can be really stuffy. Im a mom and I do have a little social anxiety but part of it comes from the stuffy people around me. I think it is so crazy that there are so many moms around me at kids play areas and none of them are very interested in making friends. And so many of them dont follow up with play dates. And being a hairdresser I even see money lost here because I wouldnt know how to get them in my chair.

There have been a few threads similar so a search may help. I too have found this difficult but things have got better over time. You also have to take a risk sometimes and start the conversation - hard I know if you suffer from anxiety. Some women bond when their kids are babies and it can be hard to get a look in. Personally I never make a friend with the view that they may be a potential client. In fact I prefer if they are not. I want them to know it is their friendship I value, however I have done the occasional treatment when asked - but I never tout for business.

I guess what I am saying is that its hard either making aquaintances in order to make clients. OR even harder to make friends. And these arent moms of babies, more like four yr olds like my girl. And Ive been quite outgoing lately..

People were exactly the same with me. I use to take my daughter to play groups and places like that and no one would talk to me I felt like everyone just looked down on me as I was much younger then them. But now my daughter is 3 and goes to nursery a few hours a week so she still gets to play with children. A you younger then them too.
Kayleigh

People were exactly the same with me. I use to take my daughter to play groups and places like that and no one would talk to me I felt like everyone just looked down on me as I was much younger then them. But now my daughter is 3 and goes to nursery a few hours a week so she still gets to play with children. A you younger then them too.
Kayleigh

I can relate to you being a younger mum , I lost my confidence too , my daughter is now 6 and at school and the mums are lovely , my youngest is 3 and at preschool and I feel like an older mum now in comparison to the others I'm only 25 lol , they don't talk at the preschool they are more concerned about smoking and swearing at the preschool , I do find it easier now to just chat to other mums , but do still get the " your too young to Be a mum looks " lol xx

Please don't take this the wrong way but are you sure of your motive? And are you sending mixed signals to them?

Are you trying to make play dates to help your little ones social skills ?

Are you trying to net work/ talk them into having there hair done by you?

Or are you trying to make friends ?

None of these are wrong all very admirable but it depends where, when and how ,

Some one shouldn't feel like a kiddy play date or cup of coffee will come with the pressure of having to book an appointment with you ,

And vice virsa

A client shouldn't have to feel like they have to bring there kid to play or meet up with you ,

You know sometimes relationships develop over time ,from client to friend or what ever but you need to make your intentions clear what type of relationship you want first. Build that and then take from there .

I can relate to you being a younger mum , I lost my confidence too , my daughter is now 6 and at school and the mums are lovely , my youngest is 3 and at preschool and I feel like an older mum now in comparison to the others I'm only 25 lol , they don't talk at the preschool they are more concerned about smoking and swearing at the preschool , I do find it easier now to just chat to other mums , but do still get the " your too young to Be a mum looks " lol xx

Yer I still get them looks as I'm quite short but I'm 24. But it doesn't really bother me people can think what they like as long as I'm happy and my daughter is I don't care. Hopefully the mums will be nicer when she is in actual school.
Kayleigh xox

Yer I still get them looks as I'm quite short but I'm 24. But it doesn't really bother me people can think what they like as long as I'm happy and my daughter is I don't care. Hopefully the mums will be nicer when she is in actual school.
Kayleigh xox

Without make up I look 16 lol! So you could imagine the looks I used to get when I went out 8 months pregnant - I felt like wearing a sign saying I'M 30! Lol

Without make up I look 16 lol! So you could imagine the looks I used to get when I went out 8 months pregnant - I felt like wearing a sign saying I'M 30! Lol

My elsdest is 16 year old in 3 weeks (god I feel old) but it helps when people tell me I don't look anywhere near old enough to have a child that age. I still get I.d'd in pubs lol!
But yeah, I have always struggled to make friends with other mums at school, but then I'm not one for sitting around chatting with cups of coffee x

Latest posts

Back