Moving to France help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitality

Reaction score
Hi all! Haven't been on this for a while but would like some advice. I am moving to France in 2013 and am in the process of learning French and have plans set up of how I can become fluent, where and how I'll live etc. However
I would like advice on using my beauty qualifications and business degree over there, is anyone has had a similar experience or advice with trying to find work, how relevant the qualifications are etc.

thanks in advance!:Love:

Hi there, yes I can help, I'm in France now working as a beautician . First things first, your french will need to be very good, you will be in competition with the french, and there are many esthéticiennes who already struggle to find work and clients. You should aim for a well populated, affluent place like Provence or maybe near Paris, places where the Brits dominate like the Dordogne are to be avoided as they very rarely use beauty treatments. I have one british client who only ever has a manicure, the rest are french. You can have your qualifications validated at the local Chambre de Metiers and then register as an Autoentrepreneur (you will find one in your nearest big town to where you move to). They may send you to work with a professional to prove you're up to the french standards. Sounds mad but the regulations are very different here, you need to be aware of what you can do and what you can't eg permanent makeup is not allowed and using the term massage is also not allowed as you would appear to be crossing into the world of therapy! If they refuse to validate your previous work, ( unlikely if you can prove your work for the past 3 years) then you have no option to train at a beauty school to get the CAP Esthetique diploma, usually takes one year to acheive. As part of this training you have to do 12 weeks work experience in both a beauty salon and a perfume shop (unpaid). Its a great way of networking, and I now supplement my client work with a part time job in Sephora.
Good luck and If you need any other help then keep in contact!:biggrin:

Hi I too am in France, I am also an esthetician and Hairstylist ( that confused the French!) I found it quite simple to register as my qualifications were easily acceptable and have been in the industry for many many years, but it is a process of paper work and the French love that!! And it does vary from area to area .

You can talk to the body your qualifications are issued by as they should be able to provide foreign equivalents for a fee then get these translated formally by an approved French translator( here!!!) and you should be good to go

It is very easy to point out all the issues of working here as it not simple you will need a very high level of French and to be honest it will only become workable when you have lived here for a while. Move to an area where the is a large density of people as France is a very sparsely populated country (same amount of people twice the size of country!)

When you finally get here and IF you are wanting to set up your own business make sure you speak to an expert accountant who will advise you correctly as to under what regime to register your business as Auto entrepreneur is not always the most appropriate for your needs or cost effective don't listen to here say as this is where most people get in trouble speak to experts if how ever you are looking to work for some one else then this is not necessary

Regards the Dordogne there is a lot of false information about the region regarding the population of British, there are pockets of Brits in certain towns but not necessarily all over and there are actually 5,000 more dutch in this region than British and together they only make up approx 3% of the Population and now there are as many Brits per capita in the Charente and Lot areas but like most areas, the Dordogne also is deep country side and so likely to attract those who like a simpler life style more countryfied together with those who are financially affluent

The French ladies no matter where like to spend on Beauty and Hair as you will see that every little village has at least one hair salon and a beautician its just tapping into that market.

If you are looking at working for someone rather than just for your self and can be flexible with location perhaps looking at working fora Spa type or Hotel with Spa as they have very many english speaking visitors ( everyone from Japanese to British) and actively search for english speakers so this might work well for you.

I would suggest that in the first instance try to work for someone as this will give your French a real polish and let you settle into French life before going it alone

feel free to pm me if I can help in any way.

xx

Just seen your location, the French love the Irish!!!! Go girl!!!

Thanks so much for the reply! I am moving to Marseille with my bf and I have given myself 2 years to learn as much French as possible. My bf speaks fluent French so he's been a great help so far, with regards to learning the language. Will def PM u's for more info!

Latest posts

Back