Moxie vs cold

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiebbaby

Reaction score
Well winter is well and truely here ;) brrr after de-icing car school run etc I am noticing that it's that time of year when your products can kinda act a little strange ( spring time also) as when temp drops or increases this means we have to adjust the way we work ie, faster little wetter etc however I am now moving all my shellac products ( I am semi mobile) as I have set up my conservatory up as my home salon so to speAk but it's sooo cold I am finding my products at 9 am do not do as their told lol even though room is warm the products have been sat for hrs in cold.

Should I move them of a night time ? Also what are your experiences of working with cnd's moxie I currently use retention with no probs however I am finding it frustrating as it's a little slooooow setting in the cold iygwim, would I find moxie the same as retention (used in norm conditions) as uts fast setting but with the cold would compensate so would be like using retention in normal cons ,,, iygwim.

What I mean to say is how do you all work on the winter lol :)

thanks guys xxx

One great trick Liza Smith taught me was to decant your liquid into a smaller container and a few mins before you use it and Stick it between your thighs to warm it up a little.

I use moxie to in the winter sometimes when it gets really cold. But no matter where you store it you will probably find you'll have to use this trick whether its moxie/solar or retention. If the area your keeping your chemicals in is too cold you will get problems if you do not warm it slightly before use and if the area is too hot it could make your liquid start to "set" and go gloopy due to heat being the main activator.

I tend to find also if you get clients to hold their tea/coffee for a min of two before you work on their hands it helps warm them up so you dont end up with the crystallization effect. Hth's :hug:

P.S If you think your conservatory is too cold. You could you pick up one of those plastic boxes from a pound shop and store you things in a central room in your house that isnt too hot? that would be my suggestion as my house is cold like a conservatory all the time lol (its very old) but it sometimes helps if I leave it in my front room of a night time, maybe even wrap a towel around your liquid container just for little extra help xxx

Last edited:
Thankyou for that, good tip with tea or coffee.

I currently decant from 1gl to a 8floz and I do try and remember to warm up so to speak but by time I get home flick radio on put kettle on etc my clients there ,,, arghhhh lol.

I keep all my shellac stuff in a case which I am now storing in my house ad opposed to conservatory, think I will do this also with my retention. I thought today I'd try a hot water bottle under my towel would help,, did a little but it's mostly early morning and late on after dark I'm struggling ad mid day it's really warm and bright,,,, ohhh we'll .

Would you recommend moxie? Could I intermix moxie and retention ? Or when I switch to moxie would I have to stay with it??

Thankyou so much xx

I used Moxie most Of the time when I used CND, I personally found it much better for me to work with during colder times.
when You say mix Katie do you mean mix as in one client moxie and one retention ?

Well yes ,, I am fine mid after noon it's only early and late I'm finding it slooow iygwim , and clicked WHY today but aside from that my retention is fine.

I have 3 brushes so I could use one only for moxie I suppose as I tried radical also but found no dif really.

Defo gunna get some , I have my masters exam on the 7/12 do will pick some up then , thanks guys xxx

Radical & retention have a very similar 'set' time,

moxie is ideal for those colder days when set times are longer - it is recommended to only use one brush per monomer type, as swapping will actually create a 'mixed' monomer, and likely unexpected results...

A great tip for temperature control is a 'chilly' bin (igloo box in some countries) - The sort of insulated box you take for a bbq. Being insulated it will keep it's own internal temperate, great for mobile techs who suffer high heat in car boots and brilliant for cold nights...

To clarify terminology, CND does not crystallise...
Crystalisation is the 'freezing' of monomer - most brands can suffer this over cold winters, the monomer can be warmed back up and it will be fine to use.

If your clients hands are cold, or you have a breeze on a cold day you can suffer from 'frosting' which is where the monomer actually evaporates due to slow set times, this will leave behind only the polymer powder and of course no strength, so it just buffs off....

hope that helps.

Thanks envy yes I know CND monomers will nit cristilise only at severe temps does this happen something like _70 ( maybe lol )
I do store in fridge in summer and garage at winter (main supply of monomer ) however was more annoyed with set time as opposed to polymerization of monomer.

I will try moxie and see. Thankyou xxx

You'll love it, the colours just 'pop' :)

Yes so I believe , much appreciated I will let you know how we get on lol xxx

Latest posts

Back