MRI scans with foils and glitter polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie Forster

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m due to have an MRI scan tomorrow and stupidly forgot possible repercussions of using holographic nail foil and glitter polish when doing my Christmas nails this afternoon. Does anyone know whether glitter is actually containing metal or is it something else and what about the foils? I’m assuming that there is metal in those. Seems common sense. It will be heart breaking if I have to remove my nails less than 24 hours of doing them. Does anyone know whether they insist you remove them before a scan? 😫😫😫😫😫

Foil tends to be aluminium rather than magnetic substance but check with the hospital

If I were you don't give the scanning department any excuse for your scan to not go ahead. Any slight element of doubt about whether or not the glitter is magnetic will be an excuse to cancel your scan! End of.

That millions of pounds worth of scanner won't want to lay idle when it could be used for another patient. So get it off to be on the safe side.
If you are having a scan that includes contrast then your blood supply will need to be monitored so another reason for removal.

Good luck for tomorrow, I hope you go on alright x

Thanks ladies, I’m going to phone the MRI department again in the morning to see if I can find out and hopefully not have to remove it before I go. If I do I will just file down the top layer to the base gel and redo when I get home. X

It’s all good, the hospital phoned this morning and it’s not a problem at all to have glitter, foils or diamante nails so no need to remove 👍🏻

Good luck with your scan. 🤞

Glitter is mainly made up of plastic, which is why it's being targeted now for being environmentally un-friendly, as it takes years to break down, causes issues with animals, sea life eating it, etc.

Glitter is mainly made up of plastic, which is why it's being targeted now for being environmentally un-friendly, as it takes years to break down, causes issues with animals, sea life eating it, etc.
Good to know, thanks

Latest posts

Back